Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with degree plan
(08-14-2022, 11:36 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Further to that, I would refrain from using academic advising until you really need changes done on your student degree plan, otherwise, create a spreadsheet to plan, reference, track your progress.  Decide if you really want to go to TESU and get the BA Comm or if it's acceptable to get a BALS.  If an Excelsior BSLA will work for you, then get another different plan setup with your spreadsheet, it just takes a little work to create a second sheet with a new plan...

TESU's BALS w/concentration in Comm actually still requires Intro to Mass Communications I & II, so you still have to find that out.

IMHO, you want to make absolutely sure they will take your classes prior to taking them; otherwise, you're stuck.  You can't get the degree you want, and that's no good.

So, apply, send in your transcripts, make sure things line up as you thought, and then specifically say "I want to take COM101: Communication Theory from XYZ school.  Can you please pre-plan that for me so I can get signed up for it this semester."  Do the same for Intro to Mass Comm I - find the best fit and an open class and sign up, and then email to make sure it will work.  Do these in SEPARATE emails - TESU is terrible about answering 2 questions in the same email.

The other thing that's important is that you can make sure your eval is good, and move courses around if need be, and get it set in stone before starting.  Make a screen shot, so that when you transfer things in later, and they rejigger it all, you can have them move things back to where they were if need be.

I would sign up if possible - but even if you can't get a class this semester, you will be able to next term, so making sure you can take something ahead of time is a smart move.

Also check with the UL courses, to make sure those will come in.  Since they're all SDC courses, and they've done this before, I might actually do a single email with all 5 courses there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • davewill
(08-12-2022, 08:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU allows more than just COMM courses in the COMM ELectives - I have an old degree plan I made for someone, and they accepted the following for the UL AoS courses (all from SDC):
BUS 305: Leadership Communication (MAN-376)
BUS 313: Organizational Communication (COM-391)
BUS 324: Managerial Communication (MAN-373)
ENGL 305: Advanced Technical Writing (ENG-306)
BUS 319: Negotiations and Conflict Management (NEG-401) TESU said no to this one for an AoS elective.

Not sure if that's changed, it may not have.

They will bring in your courses as LL, but they'll still check the box requirement-wise:
COMM 105, Interpersonal Communication, RA, 3
COMM 120, Intercultural Communication, RA, 3

Plus your other COMM courses:
COMM 100, Public Speaking, RA, 3
COMM 124, Small Group Communication, RA, 3
COMM 135, Argument & Critical Thinking, RA, 3
BUS 111, Business Communications, RA, 3

And the Humanities electives:
MUS 101, Music Fundamentals, RA, 3
MUS 113, Jazz History, RA, 3
JOUR 110, Mass Media Survey, RA, 3
So you'd need 1 more.

The main issue I see with the degree is that COM-120 is a pre-req for COM-121, which means that they may not let you take them both at the same time.  So your best bet is to find a Mass Comm I course somewhere cheap if possible, get that done while you're working on everything else, and then do the single 16cr term with Mass Comm 2, Communication Theory, the cornerstone & the capstone at the same time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://search.cvc.edu/ (search by keyword, and get the specific ones "communication theory" and "mass communication"

I checked the CVC website, and they have both Communication Theory and Mass Communication at MANY schools; this would be a great way to get these requirements completed cheaply.

they have some other courses if you just look at Communication Studies, but I've heard that TESU is rather picky, and will want the course names to match.  So here's what else you may see:
Mass Communication and Society
Principles of Human Communication
Communications Media Survey
Process of Communication

--------------------------------

Your best bet in all of this is to just apply at TESU, send in all of your transcripts, and then ask about the UL courses from Study.com as well as the CC courses you might want to take.  Better to know up front than take things that may not work.
Just wanted to follow up...
TESU said yes to almost everything here. I noted above that they said no to SDC's negotiations class as an AoS elective (it would still transfer as an upper division "other class", but I didn't need it). So I need one more UL elective, but it can be any Humanities elective, so SDC's UL history will work.
Also, I was able to get both Comm Theory and Mass Comm I through CVC (CA community college), so I have a nice 15 units left to do in one semester at TESU. If I add a 1 unit class, I won't have to pay the extra fee for residency.
Thank you everyone for your help on this journey.

The 15 units I couldn't find elsewhere...
Cornerstone SOS-110
Capstone LIB-495
Ethical Leadership
Mass Comm II - COMM-121
Comm in Digital Age - COMM-265
Yay! Add the 1 credit PLA 100 course and you're done...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 0 15 1 hour ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 585 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,162 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,899 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 200 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 194 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,105 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 523 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,291 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 171 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM