Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with my Charter Oak evaluation
Okay, give me a little time, and I will put together what I think you need for Business at COSC.

Okay, I put this together quickly, but I think this is what you would need. There are a lot of CLEPs and DSSTs here that could easily be replaced by Straighterline, Study.com, Davar, etc. Just check on these websites for the COSC equivalencies. And make sure you check with ACE that they are current. There are several courses that are now upper level with Study.com that have not been updated on the COSC equivalency chart, so check with COSC advising if you want to take those. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck - whichever school/major you choose.

Attached Files
.xlsx   mdel210201 Course Schedule.xlsx (Size: 16.49 KB / Downloads: 27)
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
(02-13-2018, 10:17 AM)mdel210201 Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 10:11 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: COSC have you nothing in the 36 SH concentration in Crim Justice and Public Safety.  You need to talk to your COSC advisor.  FEMA credits can't overcome COSC being so concentration in Crim Justice and Public Safety unfriendly?
Yes, I see that now.  I just need a degree in anything so I don't care what it is in lol.  At the time I just thought Crim Justice and Public Safety would of been smart.  I was wrong hahaha

You are not wrong.  You should have applied to all three to see what your real options are.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(02-13-2018, 12:56 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 10:17 AM)mdel210201 Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 10:11 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: COSC have you nothing in the 36 SH concentration in Crim Justice and Public Safety.  You need to talk to your COSC advisor.  FEMA credits can't overcome COSC being so concentration in Crim Justice and Public Safety unfriendly?
Yes, I see that now.  I just need a degree in anything so I don't care what it is in lol.  At the time I just thought Crim Justice and Public Safety would of been smart.  I was wrong hahaha

You are not wrong.  You should have applied to all three to see what your real options are.

I totally agree with you. I may just submit to all. Thanks for your help as always.

(02-13-2018, 12:21 PM)topdog98 Wrote: Okay, give me a little time, and I will put together what I think you need for Business at COSC.

Okay, I put this together quickly, but I think this is what you would need. There are a lot of CLEPs and DSSTs here that could easily be replaced by Straighterline, Study.com, Davar, etc. Just check on these websites for the COSC equivalencies. And make sure you check with ACE that they are current. There are several courses that are now upper level with Study.com that have not been updated on the COSC equivalency chart, so check with COSC advising if you want to take those. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you so much!
The thing you don't want to do is be hamstrung by your FEMA credits. Yeah, they'd be nice to keep. But, if it makes it harder/longer/more expensive to get a degree than you could somewhere else not using them, then you're letting those FEMA credits dictate what you do.

Apply at all 3 schools, or at least another one. Look at your options. Play with your majors to see what might be the easiest to get.

In looking at your courses from the COSC eval, you have 74cr, and only 14 of those are FEMA. So 60cr that might go to an easier to get degree.

The main issue here is that a bunch of your credits are from places like NYPD, and it's unknown how those will transfer into TESU & EC. I would apply to both, as CJ majors, to see what you have left. At TESU, after your eval is complete, you can also play with it and see what it would look like to switch to a BALS or even a BSPS with Law Enforcement as your AOS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-13-2018, 02:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The thing you don't want to do is be hamstrung by your FEMA credits. Yeah, they'd be nice to keep. But, if it makes it harder/longer/more expensive to get a degree than you could somewhere else not using them, then you're letting those FEMA credits dictate what you do.

Apply at all 3 schools, or at least another one. Look at your options. Play with your majors to see what might be the easiest to get.

In looking at your courses from the COSC eval, you have 74cr, and only 14 of those are FEMA. So 60cr that might go to an easier to get degree.

The main issue here is that a bunch of your credits are from places like NYPD, and it's unknown how those will transfer into TESU & EC. I would apply to both, as CJ majors, to see what you have left. At TESU, after your eval is complete, you can also play with it and see what it would look like to switch to a BALS or even a BSPS with Law Enforcement as your AOS.

Funny thing is that I had 30 FEMA credits transferred over to Frederick many years ago that aren't even showing up on my evaluation. Also, it doesn't show all my Police Academy Credits. Maybe they didn't get it. Or is it that it is t shown because it doesn't fit in my plan? Even if they did, would it even make a difference in another degree plan? I guess I'll have to see.
(02-13-2018, 10:53 PM)mdel210201 Wrote: Funny thing is that I had 30 FEMA credits transferred over to Frederick many years ago that aren't even showing up on my evaluation.  Also, it doesn't show all my Police Academy Credits.  Maybe they didn't get it.  Or is it that it is t shown because it doesn't fit in my plan?  Even if they did, would it even make a difference in another degree plan?  I guess I'll have to see.

Make sure you send all of your transcripts to TESU - they will want them from the original source; but don't bother with FEMA or FEMA/FCC credits, as they won't take any of them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-13-2018, 12:21 PM)topdog98 Wrote: Okay, give me a little time, and I will put together what I think you need for Business at COSC.

THANKS AGAIN topdog,
Quick question.  Is this degree plan you wrote out for Charter Oaks Business Management Degree?  Just making sure I apply to the right degree.

Thanks again,
Michael
COSC gave me a pittance for credits in public safety. I sent the same stuff to Excelsior and got twice as many (literally). Charter Oak may work for some people but it wasn't for me.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New TESU evaluation and Shmoop equivalencies badooble 42 14,454 09-13-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,671 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,048 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,582 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Charter Oak struggles as well, not just Excelsior Lewis.Yim 24 4,718 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Course plan for BS in Psychology from Charter Oak ryanaryn 15 3,403 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM
  TESU BALS Evaluation updated with AA completion? triforce828 10 2,504 06-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: MSK9
Thumbs Up Charter Oak apply for free through 01/05/18 allvia 4 2,636 06-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU: Same Course - Different Evaluation Excellente 9 1,816 05-31-2018, 05:07 PM
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,611 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning