Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extra grad credits on resumes
Say a job applicant has 3-18 grad credits in the field, plus a Masters in an unrelated field and a Bachelors in an unrelated field. 

How do they list it on their resume? Should they leave it out if it's only a few credits and they're not enrolled? 

How does this look to hiring managers? Assume the managers prefer a related Masters, but could hire someone with only a related Bachelors.

My question is not only for academia. In academia, they'd be used to 18 credit bundles and not accepting less. Most employers wouldn't know how to decide "equivalency" of the grad credits, so it would be kind of arbitrary?

If you have room it doesn’t hurt. Let’s say you are on page two and your education is for example:

MA in Liberal Arts - 18 credits in Business
BA in Social Science - 31 credits in Accounting

This would be helpful if you are going for a business type job.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
In my field (Int'l Sales) I wouldn't be impressed with the credits unless you knew how to show value. So if you have credits in a related field, I would talk about how it relates to the job.

If it truly doesn't relate to the job, then I would mention something about making learning a life-long hobby. You can really play on the love of learning, especially if you get to an interview. Then you don't want to overdo it, but talk about how you'll dive in and as a quick and enthusiastic learner, you'll get to know the job and the company, and find ways to maximize efficiency, increase growth, or whatever it is that you think they're looking for. As a lifelong learner, you know how to learn and you do it well.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I don't think an employer would care if you completed three or six credits in a field. If they want a master's degree in a related field, then they're likely not going to see a couple of courses as being enough to make you qualified.

I wouldn't list 30+ credits in a field either because it shows that you were well into a master's program, and you failed to finish for some reason. You can list the school as a separate entry, but you'll have to indicate somehow that you didn't graduate; the credits can go next to the school/program from which they came. If you want to show specialization without getting a whole master's degree, then I think it's best to get a graduate certificate.

There are cases where employers will require specific courses. For example, I saw forensic science jobs with the state government that wanted three credits each in microbiology, genetics, etc. In that case, I wouldn't list that I completed five credits of a microbiology program on my resume because they're looking for specific courses. The school would already be listed on the application, and a transcript would be uploaded to prove that the specific courses were completed.

This is how a former classmate of mine lists a doctoral program he didn't finish.

XXX State University, Doctor of Public Administration 2009-2009

He could add a note below, so that it looks like this.

XXX State University, Doctor of Public Administration 2009-2009
Completed nine credits in public policy analysis.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Ideas
I agree a grad cert is better. But I'm not sure if I'll spend the money. I want to have at least 18 English grad credits, but from 2-3 sources.

If I have enough ENG grad credits, I wonder about skipping the undergrad in English. But the undergrad seems like it has more breadth, especially if my grad credits are heavy on poetry.

Not saying this is right- but on my CV, I have 2 education sections. The first for my degrees and the second for "Additional Education" which includes selected continuing ed, adult ed, grad credit, undergrad credit, certificates, diplomas, and the like.
I have a master list on my computer of the zillions of extra education programs I've done that haven't resulted in a degree, and I curate the 4-5 best ones depending on the situation. I have a culinary set, a nutrition set, a health set, a teaching set, a wine set, and even childbirth education. If you keep a list, you can easily pull from them if you need (or leave them off too - when I apply for kitchen work I NEVER list my degrees after associate degree)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU UL for dual enrollment credits IReallyNeedADegree 15 1,320 07-14-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,470 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Demand for Grad programs... bjcheung77 0 602 02-17-2021, 01:52 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Big 3 Grad meets President of.... burbuja0512 6 1,782 03-30-2019, 07:03 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  How many college credits did you earn in 2018? natshar 22 3,574 01-02-2019, 11:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Medical Assistant Training and Credits for Certification sanantone 1 1,100 01-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  College-Math Recommended (6) Credits Ratfus 6 1,861 05-14-2017, 10:45 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  “Can I Make An Entire College Degree Out Of CLEP Credits?” jmeitrem 9 2,575 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Grad School Virtual Fair + Job Virtual Fair yb1 0 1,012 10-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Last Post: yb1