Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how attitudes impact our educational goals
I've stopped spending so much time here because the tone of several posts over the last few months has been negative.  It seems like people tend to nit-pick - throwing around some virtual weight that's only in their minds - and setting a not-so-polite mood which causes a domino effect.   Thank goodness this is mostly the work of only a few people but it only takes a few to spoil the fun of many.

That's sad because I've seen a reduction in posts by long-timers like Jennifer, BJ, JDS, DaveWill and Others and even a reduction in posts from Dfrecore, who seemed to always answer everyone's post. 

There's a huge separation going on throughout the world and, perhaps, it's just timing because many people are focusing on how to get their own personal needs met - which is often good as long as we as don't let that feed our egos in a negative way.

While this may be a post for the "Off Topic" category of this forum, I posted here for two reasons:  visibility and education.  We're here to help each other with our educational goals.  Without these great leaders on this forum, it's a loss for everyone.

I would love to see these great minds come back to the table!
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
(02-04-2019, 10:25 AM)rvm Wrote: I've stopped spending so much time here because the tone of several posts over the last few months has been negative.  It seems like people tend to nit-pick - throwing around some virtual weight that's only in their minds - and setting a not-so-polite mood which causes a domino effect.   Thank goodness this is mostly the work of only a few people but it only takes a few to spoil the fun of many.

That's sad because I've seen a reduction in posts by long-timers like Jennifer, BJ, JDS, DaveWill and Others and even a reduction in posts from Dfrecore, who seemed to always answer everyone's post. 

There's a huge separation going on throughout the world and, perhaps, it's just timing because many people are focusing on how to get their own personal needs met - which is often good as long as we as don't let that feed our egos in a negative way.

While this may be a post for the "Off Topic" category of this forum, I posted here for two reasons:  visibility and education.  We're here to help each other with our educational goals.  Without these great leaders on this forum, it's a loss for everyone.

I hadn't noticed; I think it's fine here.

My reason for fewer posts is because I actually have a job now, so less time to do the free forum stuff.  But I still come here daily, because it's where I get all of my info about TESU, ACE/NCCRS, changes, etc.  Invaluable.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • hsfamfun, quigongene
We've had a couple of threads go off into the political weeds, but it really hasn't been anything too bad. I'm certainly not pulling back because of it. I have decreased my posting some because there are a number of newer contributors who have been jumping in and helping, so I don't feel the need as much.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(02-04-2019, 03:55 PM)davewill Wrote: We've had a couple of threads go off into the political weeds, but it really hasn't been anything too bad. I'm certainly not pulling back because of it. I have decreased my posting some because there are a number of newer contributors who have been jumping in and helping, so I don't feel the need as much.

Ah yes, and I feel like there are some things I just don't want to answer any more after a million times, and others are better at it, or more interested.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-04-2019, 03:55 PM)davewill Wrote: We've had a couple of threads go off into the political weeds, but it really hasn't been anything too bad. I'm certainly not pulling back because of it. I have decreased my posting some because there are a number of newer contributors who have been jumping in and helping, so I don't feel the need as much.

@DaveWill, right you are.  I was definitely thinking about some of the posts that turned political. 

Also, I was thinking of the "I'm right and you're wrong" arguments.  As adults, we should be interacting at a higher level.
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
(02-04-2019, 11:30 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 10:25 AM)rvm Wrote: I've stopped spending so much time here because the tone of several posts over the last few months has been negative.  It seems like people tend to nit-pick - throwing around some virtual weight that's only in their minds - and setting a not-so-polite mood which causes a domino effect.   Thank goodness this is mostly the work of only a few people but it only takes a few to spoil the fun of many.

I hadn't noticed; I think it's fine here.

My reason for fewer posts is because I actually have a job now, so less time to do the free forum stuff.  But I still come here daily, because it's where I get all of my info about TESU, ACE/NCCRS, changes, etc.  Invaluable.

Dfrecore, glad to hear it!  Congratulations on your new job!
Robin
Member since 2008

Wow, I'm a long-timer now Big Grin

I have been posting much less because I've started my grad studies. I still try to chime in when I think it's helpful, but I don't read every new post immediately like I used to

Aside from starting at Georgia tech, I'm also in a job role that has more responsibilities now and much less free time to browse the internet -- which is mostly a good thing Smile

I also agree with what dfrecore said -- We've been answering the same questions asked in different ways for a while now. That's to be expected, new members pop up all the time and we can't expect them to read everything on the forum before asking a question. But I answer those questions less so than I used to, but thankfully there are other newer folks (and some patienter long time folks) that are still there to help out.

I try to stay out of the political talks for the most part, but I definitely get sucked in from time to time. It's a very fruitless endeavor on this form, and I'm happy that I've apparently been missing these posts lately.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(02-04-2019, 08:38 PM)jsd Wrote: Wow, I'm a long-timer now Big Grin

I have been posting much less because I've started my grad studies. I still try to chime in when I think it's helpful, but I don't read every new post immediately like I used to

Aside from starting at Georgia tech, I'm also in a job role that has more responsibilities now and much less free time to browse the internet -- which is mostly a good thing Smile

I also agree with what dfrecore said -- We've been answering the same questions asked in different ways for a while now. That's to be expected, new members pop up all the time and we can't expect them to read everything on the forum before asking a question. But I answer those questions less so than I used to, but thankfully there are other newer folks (and some patienter long time folks) that are still there to help out.

I try to stay out of the political talks for the most part, but I definitely get sucked in from time to time. It's a very fruitless endeavor on this form, and I'm happy that I've apparently been missing these posts lately.

My apologies for mixing up the letters of your forum ID.  Congratulations on pursual of your GT degree.  Glad you're still here!

Those political posts are fruitless.  From my perspective, it seemed like that was what was driving away the folks with the knowledge-base.  I wish folks on this forum would not bring politics to the table as there are an endless number of venues to express any viewpoint.  No matter which side we stand on, we all have something to contribute to a better educational experience.  Isn't that the reason we're all here?
Robin
Member since 2008

Outside of the off topic forum, I haven't seen many threads turn political. 99.99% of the threads have no political content. Most of the political threads are in the off topic forum where they they belong. The off topic forum is not very active, and it's easily avoidable.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(02-05-2019, 09:38 AM)rvm Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 08:38 PM)jsd Wrote: Wow, I'm a long-timer now Big Grin

My apologies for mixing up the letters of your forum ID.  Congratulations on pursual of your GT degree.  Glad you're still here!

Those political posts are fruitless.  From my perspective, it seemed like that was what was driving away the folks with the knowledge-base.  I wish folks on this forum would not bring politics to the table as there are an endless number of venues to express any viewpoint.  No matter which side we stand on, we all have something to contribute to a better educational experience.  Isn't that the reason we're all here?

I'm pretty lost at this point - no idea what you're talking about.  The reason some people leave is because they've gotten their degrees, have other stuff going on, etc.  I'm almost positive they're not "driven away" by any particular posts.  They might be driven away by someone complaining about the forum though!  The political stuff is almost entirely relegated to the Off Topic Area, which you could simply avoid by not going to that section.  I only go there when I'm feeling a little feisty!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Shocked A ‘once in a generation’ winter storm will impact nearly every state! LevelUP 8 1,111 12-28-2022, 01:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Does Global name impact? NewatTESU 7 1,292 09-19-2021, 05:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COVID-19 Updated Impact Tracker on U.S. Universities PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 0 1,222 05-19-2020, 10:41 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Goals for 2019 natshar 17 2,883 01-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Last Post: jsd
  The Online STEM Classroom--Who Succeeds? An Exploration of the Impact of Ethnicity, G Mamasaphire 3 946 11-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Last Post: hightecrebel
  A Disturbing Truth About the History of Our Educational System - Video Saharapost 2 1,224 10-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  What are your educational goals for 2014? soliloquy 30 2,764 07-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  What happened to all of the educational channels? sanantone 21 2,738 08-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  Introduction and Goals duocdx 2 1,474 02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Last Post: duocdx