Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science for Digital Forensics?
I do think he needs to get a bachelor's degree. It could be CS or it could be IT. I don't think an AAS will do it. If either but the bullet and do CS, or get a specific cyber security degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa
(08-30-2018, 10:33 PM)davewill Wrote: I do think he needs to get a bachelor's degree. It could be CS or it could be IT. I don't think an AAS will do it. If either but the bullet and do CS, or get a specific cyber security degree.

But the AAS, and then starting to work in IT doing the dreaded help-desk or whatever other entry-level work while deciding if it's for you is also a good option.  Going straight to a BS is not completely necessary, especially at his age.  Perfect age and circumstances to get that crappy first job in IT!!!

He may even end up at a company that will pay for certs to make the degree cheaper/easier, or pay for the whole darn degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, quigongene
> He could do a business degree for cheap/fast,

ugh, waste of time

better option -- WGU - Bachelors Computer Science -- fast and inexpensive

complete in 2 terms easily (I'm sure he'll have all of his gen ed courses transfer in)

> AAS - starting from scratch, 70 credits

not bad -- its useful material and will keep his interest up and has transferable skills (and maybe even courses)

could do that and then do WGU CS degree

then do a a MS in CS or Digital Forensics either online or in person

or skip the Masters and join the Navy or Army -- he can tell them he's interested in Computer Security / Forensics and they'll gladly take someone with a BS in CS
and they'll give him additional schooling and training
and he'll get his security clearance

> whether or not he needs a degree in computer science to make this happen.

Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, maybe Electrical Engineering Technology

> But the AAS, and then starting to work in IT doing the dreaded help-desk ...

but there is a reason its dreaded

I'm sure he doesn't want to help people reset their password and fix printers

"and his engagement/enthusiasm has been below average."
a help desk job will destroy his engagement/enthusiasm
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • cookderosa
Super recommendations here.  Getting a couple certifications towards the end of the AAS would help a lot.  The Comptia certs seem to be a good place to start.  Finish his last college networking class, go study/take the Network+ test, then finish his last security class, go study/take the Security+.  Most colleges sell test vouchers at a discount (plus many other websites sell them).
I understand these certs look expensive compared to the wonderful/cheap resources we've found through this site.  However, they will give your son confidence and an advantage during interview selection (eg, he could need this vs candidates with a BS).  Follow this up with some interview training and he will nail it.
Future employer could pay for the much more costly BS and/or a forensics certification.
(08-31-2018, 06:09 AM)jb111 Wrote: Super recommendations here.  Getting a couple certifications towards the end of the AAS would help a lot.  The Comptia certs seem to be a good place to start.  Finish his last college networking class, go study/take the Network+ test, then finish his last security class, go study/take the Security+.  Most colleges sell test vouchers at a discount (plus many other websites sell them).
I understand these certs look expensive compared to the wonderful/cheap resources we've found through this site.  However, they will give your son confidence and an advantage during interview selection (eg, he could need this vs candidates with a BS).  Follow this up with some interview training and he will nail it.
Future employer could pay for the much more costly BS and/or a forensics certification.

Awesome!! My son's dual enrollment classes actually have 2 exams built in! He should have the first one this semester, the second one next.
CTI-130 OS & Device Foundations (CompTIA A+)
CTI-120 Network & Security Foundations (CompTIA Network+)

As a high school student he is only eligible to take the first semester (from the pdf I posted) so those are the courses I know the most about, but there may be more woven into that degree, I'm not sure.

(08-31-2018, 01:04 AM)bluebooger Wrote: > But the AAS, and then starting to work in IT doing the dreaded help-desk ...

but there is a reason its dreaded

I'm sure he doesn't want to help people reset their password and fix printers

"and his engagement/enthusiasm has been below average."
a help desk job will destroy his engagement/enthusiasm

Last night I asked him some questions about my computer, which is running slower than average. Then he suggested I restart it so he could do whatever he was going to do. I explained to him that I wouldn't let him restart my computer because I don't know my password. (it's been at least 3 years since it's been restarted) He was speechless and walked away.
(08-31-2018, 08:14 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Awesome!! My son's dual enrollment classes actually have 2 exams built in! He should have the first one this semester, the second one next.
Those two tests are excellent starting points.

(08-31-2018, 08:14 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Last night I asked him some questions about my computer, which is running slower than average. Then he suggested I restart it so he could do whatever he was going to do. I explained to him that I wouldn't let him restart my computer because I don't know my password. (it's been at least 3 years since it's been restarted) He was speechless and walked away.

I cringed a little reading this...
Depending on your setup, getting a boot disk and changing the password behind the scenes shouldn't be too hard to do. For example:
https://www.lifewire.com/offline-nt-pass...ew-2626147
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • cookderosa
(08-31-2018, 09:04 AM)quigongene Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 08:14 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Awesome!! My son's dual enrollment classes actually have 2 exams built in! He should have the first one this semester, the second one next.
Those two tests are excellent starting points.

(08-31-2018, 08:14 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Last night I asked him some questions about my computer, which is running slower than average. Then he suggested I restart it so he could do whatever he was going to do. I explained to him that I wouldn't let him restart my computer because I don't know my password. (it's been at least 3 years since it's been restarted) He was speechless and walked away.

I cringed a little reading this...
Depending on your setup, getting a boot disk and changing the password behind the scenes shouldn't be too hard to do. For example:
https://www.lifewire.com/offline-nt-pass...ew-2626147

Yeah, I guessed you wouldn't like that, but that link you sent me could have been in Chinese, it hurts my brain. I can't even begin to explain to you why it makes me crazy, but it does. You can see now why I'm SO appreciating your help with sorting all this out for my boy. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 177 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,163 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Digital Nomad - Remote work in various countries bjcheung77 14 1,311 09-29-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: impasta
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,876 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 18,848 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 599 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM