Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how many in here are military
Sorry on the slow reply to some questions, I am a single mom of a teenage boy (14) working full time and my husband is deployed. I log on here when everyone is asleep in my house (and I should be too...Rolleyes ) I went in and took a swing at two CLEP's on Wed just to get some time to myself... passed them though!!!

I am stationed in beautiful Lemoore, trying to get out of here back to Japan. I am O level, as there really are no orders for AMEs I level. I teach new recruits how to fix jets (FA-18's).

As for difficult chain of commands, where do I begin...?!?!? The only advice I can give you is to find a way to pick and choose your battles, you can't fight everyone of them or you'll end up wearing yourself out. You'll run into some poor leaders in the military, but I'm sure there are plenty out in the civilian sector too. Just keep your head up and take pleasure in knowing that you have more initiative than I've seen in many young sailors these days (and I'm not even that old, 28 years young)... This too, shall pass
~Celeste
Working on BS in Professional Aeronautics thru ERAU

CLEP
Principles of Mgmt - 58
Freshman College Composition - 63
Intro Psychology - 61
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 63

DSST
Here's to Your Health - 58
Fund of College Algebra - 48 (needed 47:eek: )
Business Law II - 56
Principles of Supervision - 51
Principles of Statistics - 414
Just a heads up, if any of you guys have been recruiters in the Military currently or former, make sure it's listed in your Service's transcript ie( AARTS, SMART). Excelsior may give you up to 19 upper level and 10 lower level credit for the Recruiting school and for holding that MOS. Especially if you're going for a degree in business. Your speech requirement is covered, along with HRM, Marketing/sales, Social psychology, etc. Look into it.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
clep101 Wrote:Just a heads up, if any of you guys have been recruiters in the Military currently or former, make sure it's listed in your Service's transcript ie( AARTS, SMART). Excelsior may give you up to 19 upper level and 10 lower level credit for the Recruiting school and for holding that MOS. Especially if you're going for a degree in business. Your speech requirement is covered, along with HRM, Marketing/sales, Social psychology, etc. Look into it.
Thanks for the info. I was a Navy recruiter from 2003-2007 in Cincinnati.
[SIZE="1"]AAS (Electronics), TESC-Done
BA Psychology, TESC-Done & waiting
Tests- Eng. Comp. w/ Essay-51, Principles of Mgmt.-59, Intro. to Soc.-62, US History I-66, US History II-61, Intro. to Psych.-68, Biology-55, A&I Lit.-62, Ed. Psych.-63, Soc. Sci. and History-63, Human Growth & Development-65, American Gov't-64, Tech. Writing-63, HTYH-64, Drug & Alc. Abuse-58, Org. Behavior-67, Prin. of Statistics-62, Intro. World Religion-68, Intro to Computing-403, Ethics-439. Research Methods in Psych.-A, Psych. of Personality TECEP-73, Abnormal Psych TECEP-74, Industrial Psych-71
Next-???[/SIZE]
E-3 USAF... Patrick AFB... I'm a career student and love it... Plus right now its free Smile

65 College Credits
27? CCAF Cedits
6 CLEP Cedits (for now)
Less than supportive chains of command, I know what you mean. I've been away from my submarine because of my surgery and subsquent healing. Needless to say, I thought that they were going to give up on me and kick me off after 6 months of not being able to go underway. That's when I decided to enroll for classes. Shortly after starting them, I finally healed and was placed back on my submarine. When I informed them that I needed the time off to take my midterms, their response was "No! Who told you that you could sign up for classes? You're not going to skip work for school!" Wow! If I couldn't take my midterms then I'm pretty sure I couldn't take my finals. After numerous arguements and disapproved leave chits, I finally worked out a deal. I am going to take both the mdterm and final for both classes in 2 days. The upper chain of command always wonder why the Navy can't keep good people. Suituations like these make me what to get out and be free again.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
larry7crys Wrote:Less than supportive chains of command, I know what you mean. I've been away from my submarine because of my surgery and subsquent healing. Needless to say, I thought that they were going to give up on me and kick me off after 6 months of not being able to go underway. That's when I decided to enroll for classes. Shortly after starting them, I finally healed and was placed back on my submarine. When I informed them that I needed the time off to take my midterms, their response was "No! Who told you that you could sign up for classes? You're not going to skip work for school!" Wow! If I couldn't take my midterms then I'm pretty sure I couldn't take my finals. After numerous arguements and disapproved leave chits, I finally worked out a deal. I am going to take both the mdterm and final for both classes in 2 days. The upper chain of command always wonder why the Navy can't keep good people. Suituations like these make me what to get out and be free again.

I have been in the Army almost 12 years. I have seen or heard about this happening in other units, but for some reason I have never encountered it. In every unit that I've been in, we actually encourage all our subordinates to enroll in college. We actually tell them to go to the local colleges on base when we are not deployed or are not scheduled for training exercises. I had 90% of my Service members enrolled in College while we were in Baghdad. (I say Service members because I had a team of 20 Soldiers, 15 Airmen, and 15 Sailors. Nice big happy family) Smile And since finding out about InstantCert, I really push for them to take CLEP/DSST/ECE exams. Obviously, we always had a couple that didn't want to go to college for whatever reason, and that's fine, but we always provided the opportunity. I guess it really has to do with what type of chain of command you have. Our officers would even volunteer to proctor the exams when ever someone need to take one.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
good news guys, I just got one of my guys enrolled in excelsior. I took him to take 3 clep test and now he is done with his AAS! Who is next?
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009
USAF RESERVE E-6 BIO/ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEER March Air Reserve Base.

2 CCAF Degrees Completed

Working on 2 BA/BS Degrees than on to my Masters

45 Clep/DSSts Completed

100+ B/M Units

Just Need to take some Upper Level credits to complete my degree(s)
I'm an E-6, out of Fort Hood, but currently in Iraq. This is my fourth deployment to Iraq. I plan on attending OCS at the end of the year. Hopefully I get accepted. I won't know until May.

Also, we have a new Military Discussion on the forum. Steve was kind enough to make room just for us. Please share your specific military/education related issues here. Thanks.
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)
I'm an Army SFC (E-7) stationed at Ft Story, VA.
EXCELSIOR COLLEGE
BS-LS: AoF Admin/Mgmt Studies
0 to BS in under 9 months

EXCELSIOR CLASSES (7 Credits)
College Math (A) Eng Comp (B) Info Lit (P)

CLEP (42 Credits)
A&I Lit-6CH (71) SS&H-6CH (66) Humanities-6CH (65) Mgmt (66) Marketing (66) HG&Dev (61) Info Sys&Comp App (60) Sociology (60) Psych (59) Business Law (55) Am Gov't (50)

DSST (57 Credits)
Found of Ed (67-A) Fund of Counseling (67-A) Intro to Business (65-A) Civil War & Recon (62-A) Tech Writing (59-A) Intro Law Enforcement (59-A) Principles of Supervision (58-A) Org Behavior (57-A) Environ&Humanity (53-B) Anthropology (52-B) Astronomy (52-B) World Religions (450) Substance Abuse (450) Ethics in America (447) HTYH (433) Intro to Comp (432) Personal Finance (422) Criminal Justice (409) Mgmt Info Sys (409)

ECE (21 Credits)
HR Mgmt (A) Cultural Diversity © Ethics © Organizational Behavior (B) Found of Gerontology © Psych of A&A © Social Psych ©

Up Next:
MPA @ AMU stating Sept 09

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 3,029 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,673 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,575 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,788 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,891 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,935 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,285 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,425 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DraftKings Partners With VetsinTech to Offer Free Coding Training to Ex-Military Memb decimon 0 2,109 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: decimon
  The most Military/Veteran friendly College Commencements! Life Long Learning 42 8,864 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku