Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
in 2017 I gave up on this before I even started. Now I'm serious, but I need help.
You've dropped out 3 times, have you figured out why? I'm not poking at you, I'm being serious. Guidance you'll have here in endless supply, but what stopped you from being successful before? Let's fix that first.

If I could add something else to this thread, you said you wanted to become a budget analyst, but I did a quick lookup at the Department of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook, and the educational requirements aren't matching up with the degrees you have listed.

"Employers generally require budget analysts to have at least a bachelor's degree. Because developing a budget requires strong numerical and analytical skills, courses in accounting, economics, and statistics are helpful. Federal, state, and local governments have varying requirements, but usually require a bachelor's degree in one of many areas, such as accounting, finance, business, public administration, economics, statistics, political science, or sociology."

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-fin....htm#tab-1

If we were having a conversation, I'd try and figure out what happened the first few times, and then helps you set up a plan in a major that matches your career goal of Budget Analyst. I'd drop the double-major crap, which is only pushing your goal post back an unnecessarily long distance (thus increasing the likelihood of not being successful again) and get you on the fast track to finishing this degree. I would advise against more pondering - you can think about accreditation all day long. The truth is that you need a degree, and you can find arguments against any school - there is no one perfect school, but a finished degree checks a box that is currently unchecked. You can check that box in just over a year or you can wait until you're 35 (or whatever) and keep pondering while your careers is on pause.
(05-10-2019, 11:42 AM)cookderosa Wrote: You've dropped out 3 times, have you figured out why?  I'm not poking at you, I'm being serious.  Guidance you'll have here in endless supply, but what stopped you from being successful before?  Let's fix that first.

If I could add something else to this thread, you said you wanted to become a budget analyst, but I did a quick lookup at the Department of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook, and the educational requirements aren't matching up with the degrees you have listed.

"Employers generally require budget analysts to have at least a bachelor's degree. Because developing a budget requires strong numerical and analytical skills, courses in accounting, economics, and statistics are helpful. Federal, state, and local governments have varying requirements, but usually require a bachelor's degree in one of many areas, such as accounting, finance, business, public administration, economics, statistics, political science, or sociology."

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-fin....htm#tab-1

If we were having a conversation, I'd try and figure out what happened the first few times, and then helps you set up a plan in a major that matches your career goal of Budget Analyst.  I'd drop the double-major crap, which is only pushing your goal post back an unnecessarily long distance (thus increasing the likelihood of not being successful again) and get you on the fast track to finishing this degree.  I would advise against more pondering - you can think about accreditation all day long.  The truth is that you need a degree, and you can find arguments against any school - there is no one perfect school, but a finished degree checks a box that is currently unchecked.  You can check that box in just over a year or you can wait until you're 35 (or whatever) and keep pondering while your careers is on pause.
I would completely agree with you. No sense in over thinking things when you don't have a degree at all. I would tell OP something my father told me; "remember, not making a choice is still a choice."
Just f****ing pick something and get moving. Testing out does not mean you wont have to study. The people on this forum who do their degrees at TESU or Charter Oaks, or WGU or Excelsior who get their degrees still bust their butt to do so. You have to be willing to put the work in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 1,730 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Getting started with BALS (Template Q&A) CiggyTardust 24 4,877 12-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Big Grin Desperately Need Help To Get Started Risingstar 12 2,254 10-18-2019, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Risingstar
  MOOCs you've done or started, and your opinion of them Ideas 16 2,556 03-10-2018, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  2017 Pass Rates cookderosa 25 16,300 12-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  The $2,725 Regionally Accredited B.S. Degree on 12.15.2017 Life Long Learning 3 1,728 12-16-2017, 11:07 PM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  It's 2017 Income Tax Time and I have a question High_Order1 27 8,794 06-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Last Post: icampy
  I started new job and need help choosing a quick degree for advancement Jtatum2701 35 4,158 05-20-2017, 08:34 AM
  NEW (higher) CLEP EXAM FEE, effective July 1st 2017 MD_AJIBULU 6 2,402 03-23-2017, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MD_AJIBULU
  New GED 2017 (After May 2017) shamin 0 1,045 01-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Last Post: shamin