Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inaccurate course title
I'm in a class where the title of the class seems to be inaccurate borderline deceptive.  The class title is physical security but the book used in the class is Introduction to Security.  Its kind of like taking Molecular Bio or Organic Chem and finding your class using a Gen Bio or Gen Chem book.  I will wait to see what direction the projects take the class.  I have had others where there wasn't a book that was a good fit and they made it work.  I was just looking forward to covering new material and not a rehash of general concepts that have been covered in my other classes.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
Is it "Introduction to Security" by Robert Fischer, Edward Halibozek? Isn't that a physical security book?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Different book. One chapter is called Physical Security. There are also chapters on Information Security and Homeland Security.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
(09-15-2019, 06:35 AM)ajs1976a Wrote: I'm in a class where the title of the class seems to be inaccurate borderline deceptive.  The class title is physical security but the book used in the class is Introduction to Security.  Its kind of like taking Molecular Bio or Organic Chem and finding your class using a Gen Bio or Gen Chem book.  I will wait to see what direction the projects take the class.  I have had others where there wasn't a book that was a good fit and they made it work.  I was just looking forward to covering new material and not a rehash of general concepts that have been covered in my other classes.

So is the class title deceptive, or does the text simply not line up well?

I'm wondering if this teacher picked the book title or if it was ordered by someone else for the class? If the teacher wasn't hired when the book order needed to be made, it's possible that this was ordered as opposed to being selected by this teacher.

I suggest this because back when I chaired a dept, book orders were due well in advance- I've ordered texts and assigned them to sections LONG before teachers were hired. Sometimes 6-8 months before.
I got to choose my books, and I was informed that I would be teaching the class less than two months in advance. If it's a canned course, then the instructor doesn't have a choice.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
is there not a syllabus ?
(09-16-2019, 09:24 AM)sanantone Wrote: I got to choose my books, and I was informed that I would be teaching the class less than two months in advance. If it's a canned course, then the instructor doesn't have a choice.

Did your school have a bookstore where the students could use financial aid or were they responsible for obtaining the book themselves from wherever they like?
(09-16-2019, 06:54 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 09:24 AM)sanantone Wrote: I got to choose my books, and I was informed that I would be teaching the class less than two months in advance. If it's a canned course, then the instructor doesn't have a choice.

Did your school have a bookstore where the students could use financial aid or were they responsible for obtaining the book themselves from wherever they like?

Students were expected to use their refund checks to purchase books. That's the way I purchased most of my books. I was never able to use financial aid directly unless the course materials were included in the tuition.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(09-16-2019, 10:25 PM)sanantone Wrote:

Students were expected to use their refund checks to purchase books. That's the way I purchased most of my books. I was never able to use financial aid directly unless the course materials were included in the tuition.

It doesn't matter- but I was just curious and asked because when I had to place my bookstore orders, it was based around the access of federal financial aid funds - not the start date of a course.
In a college that participates in federal financial aid (like a community college or state university) purchases of textbooks and course codes often happen BEFORE class begins and before distribution of funds, because a refund isn't processed until the FA census date- which is always after classes have started. It would be impossible to use a refund for books in that system.

I'm sure the reason you could select your student's book title so close to the start date is that you were selecting the "titles" vs the bookstore making a physical purchase for shelving. (thus they could buy their book from anyone)
(09-17-2019, 03:07 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 10:25 PM)sanantone Wrote:

It doesn't matter- but I was just curious and asked because when I had to place my bookstore orders, it was based around the access of federal financial aid funds - not the start date of a course.  
In a college that participates in federal financial aid (like a community college or state university)  purchases of textbooks and course codes often happen BEFORE class begins and before distribution of funds, because a refund isn't processed until the FA census date- which is always after classes have started.  It would be impossible to use a refund for books in that system.

I'm sure the reason you could select your student's book title so close to the start date is that you were selecting the "titles" vs the bookstore making a physical purchase for shelving.  (thus they could buy their book from anyone)

I've learned that schools operate differently. I attended several colleges that disbursed financial aid 10 days before classes started, so I had my refund direct deposited before the beginning of the semester. I also had one school that didn't disburse financial aid until a couple of weeks after classes started. 

This was an upper level penology course, so it wasn't going to have generic textbooks anyway. Most corrections books are written for introductory classes. Physical security is not a course that's offered at a lot of colleges, and there aren't going to be many students taking it. I'd expect that there aren't many college textbooks out there, and a professor would likely have to assign a professional book for reading.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tax Disadvantage of Attending Non-Title IV Schools sanantone 4 2,758 07-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Last Post: davewill
  DSST is asking for new exam title ideas jmeitrem 10 1,725 05-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Excelsior now title IV lmnop098 0 968 01-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Last Post: lmnop098
  Which Peterson's title for CLEP Math? Trajan 0 828 09-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Trajan
  Excelsior News - Title IV Financial Aid Approval barcotta 4 1,158 07-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Straydog
  Is Excelsior a Title IV school? engarom 8 1,727 01-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Last Post: engarom