Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
linguistics and foreign languages
Does anyone know of any distance learning degrees in that have some combination of applied linguistics, Spanish, and TESOL?

The only one I'm aware of is the University of Southern Mississippi's MATL degree that allows students to have a dual emphasis and also has a core curriculum that focuses on applied linguistics.

Is anyone familiar with USM's program?
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
I'm not sure about the Spanish but I've looked into the University of North Dakota's programs for their combination of linguistics and TESOL.

English Language Learner | Degrees | Online Distance | Extended Learning | Academics | UND: University of North Dakota
SIL-UND Overview | Summer Institute of Linguistics | Arts & Sciences | UND: University of North Dakota
UND's Master of Arts in Linguistics | Summer Institute of Linguistics | Arts & Sciences | UND: University of North Dakota
June 2016: B.A. in English - TESU

CLEP
A&I Lit 79, Intro Soc 65, Intro Psych 73, Intro Edu Psych 60, Human G&D 65, English Lit 73, Am Lit 73, Hum 63, College Comp 63, Prin Mark 73
DSST
Intro Comp 460, Env & Hum 65, Intro World Rel 475, Tech Writ 67, Ethics in Amer 456, H/C Geog 60, Gen Anthro 68, R&F Sov Un 73, HTYH 468
TECEP
Public Relations: Thought and Practice 86
TEEX
Cyber 101: Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber 201: Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber 301: Cyber Security for Business Professionals
ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
UEXCEL
Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School - A

Credits 120/120 I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
C. S. Lewis
Are you specifically looking at the graduate level?

Arizona State University has an online Bachelor of Arts in Spanish, and both a grad cert and a Master's in ESL (not the same as TESOL, but closely related).

New Mexico State University has an online Master of Arts in Spanish, and one of the available emphasis areas is linguistics.

UMASS-Boston has an online Masters in Applied Linguistics.

Depending on what you want to do, you don't necessarily need a degree for TESOL. The TESOL org itself offers a certification program. Most places hiring TESOL teachers want you to have at least a BA, but they're not necessarily looking for a particular subject. For teaching in public schools in the United States on the other hand, you'll need a teaching certificate and an ESL endorsement. Definitely a field where you want to figure out what your goals are *before* you start your education.

I don't know that there's a prefab program that combines applied linguistics, spanish, and TESOL. You're probably going to have to choose one of those as your primary emphasis area, and you might be able to pick up a couple courses in the other areas. Alternately, you can do more than one program (like, BA Spanish, MA Applied Linguistics, TESOL cert. or some other combo).

Buena suerte
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
Leherself Wrote:Are you specifically looking at the graduate level?

Arizona State University has an online Bachelor of Arts in Spanish, and both a grad cert and a Master's in ESL (not the same as TESOL, but closely related).

New Mexico State University has an online Master of Arts in Spanish, and one of the available emphasis areas is linguistics.

UMASS-Boston has an online Masters in Applied Linguistics.

Depending on what you want to do, you don't necessarily need a degree for TESOL. The TESOL org itself offers a certification program. Most places hiring TESOL teachers want you to have at least a BA, but they're not necessarily looking for a particular subject. For teaching in public schools in the United States on the other hand, you'll need a teaching certificate and an ESL endorsement. Definitely a field where you want to figure out what your goals are *before* you start your education.

I don't know that there's a prefab program that combines applied linguistics, spanish, and TESOL. You're probably going to have to choose one of those as your primary emphasis area, and you might be able to pick up a couple courses in the other areas. Alternately, you can do more than one program (like, BA Spanish, MA Applied Linguistics, TESOL cert. or some other combo).

Buena suerte

Gracias, Leherself. I am open to doing a second bachelor's degree in Spanish and then doing a grad degree in TESOL and/or Linguistics. The New Mexico program looks really interesting, too. I think these programs might be a little rare but I figured I would ask. I did find the MA in Teaching Languages at USM which allows for a dual concentration. So the core curriculum is in applied linguistics/language acquisition and then students can complete a concentration in TESOL and a second concentration in Spanish or French. Or they can just one single concentration.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blacklisted foreign universities in Nigeria Imbanewbie 1 325 01-13-2024, 03:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 411 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  The most widely spoken languages in the world bjcheung77 10 633 12-08-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Best Foreign Credentials Evaluator Service mariobros1985 10 1,014 11-07-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Chankosumo
  Foreign Credential Evaluators bjcheung77 4 1,256 07-21-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Hardest languages to learn - 25 ranked bjcheung77 1 761 11-14-2022, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Johann
  1 More Year to Use Financial Aid for Foreign Online Programs sanantone 1 575 06-15-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  BALS degree Foreign Service Officer Test vetvso 2 778 02-25-2022, 02:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Invented Languages - Not just Esperanto! bjcheung77 4 692 12-05-2021, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Foreign degree conundrum. lidel 8 1,124 08-18-2021, 08:20 PM
Last Post: lidel