Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
long shot- tech support??
I know this question is a long shot, but I'm seriously frustrated and short of throwing this computer through the window, I'll ask here.

My computer is being repaired, so i'm on the hubby's. His browser is Google Chrome. I can get into Straighterline, but I can't get into Smarthinking. We are getting this pop up blocker error, but we have nothing running. I try and do an override using the CTL/ALT buttons but that doesn't work. So, I try SL for tech support, nope closed on Saturday. I try Smarthinking, nope closed on Saturday.

Sooooo frustrated. Any suggestions?
I honestly know nothing about the Chrome browser but the Google toolbar does have an embedded pop-up blocker that I would assume would be a part of the Chrome browser as well. Don't know how you would disable it on the browser, on the toolbar there's a button that you can hover over to get statistics or hit to disable it. Also, most other toolbars (yahoo, etc.) have these same embedded pop-up blockers.

I'd also check your PC protection suite to ensure there's not a pop-up blocker running there. Also, check for third party products like Noads.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
cookderosa Wrote:I know this question is a long shot, but I'm seriously frustrated and short of throwing this computer through the window, I'll ask here.

My computer is being repaired, so i'm on the hubby's. His browser is Google Chrome. I can get into Straighterline, but I can't get into Smarthinking. We are getting this pop up blocker error, but we have nothing running. I try and do an override using the CTL/ALT buttons but that doesn't work. So, I try SL for tech support, nope closed on Saturday. I try Smarthinking, nope closed on Saturday.

Sooooo frustrated. Any suggestions?

Hope this helps. Pop-ups - Google Chrome Help
[SIZE="4"]Terry[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][B][SIZE="2"]How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time![/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"]
AS and BS completed
MBA - In Progress[/SIZE]
Pop-ups - Google Chrome Help

Google Chrome prevents pop-ups from automatically appearing and cluttering your screen. Whenever the browser blocks pop-ups for a site, the [Image: chrome_95472_alert.gif] icon appears in the address bar. Click the icon to see the pop-ups that have been blocked or to manage pop-up settings for the site.

See pop-ups for a specific site

To see blocked pop-ups for a site, follow these steps:
  1. If pop-ups have been blocked, you'll see the [Image: chrome_95472_alert.gif] icon in the address bar. Click the icon to see a list of the blocked pop-ups.
  2. Click the link for the pop-up window that you'd like to see.
  3. To always see pop-ups for the site, select "Always show pop-ups from [site]." The site will be added to the exceptions list, which you can manage in the Content Settings dialog.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I know I'm a little late to this, but even if he's got Chrome set as the default, you still should be able to use a different browser. Just go to the start menu and look for internet explorer.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
First time I used SL many moons ago there was a similar problem. Emailed and the response was that firefox is the recommended browser.

To amend popup settings in Chrome:

Pop-ups - Google Chrome Help

The problem I had wasn't to do with popups but the embedded java flash movies that are used to present the lectures wouldn't play. They would just stick on that loading circle/logo picture.

Anyway, firefox and it was fine.
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
burbuja0512 Wrote:I know I'm a little late to this, but even if he's got Chrome set as the default, you still should be able to use a different browser. Just go to the start menu and look for internet explorer.

Yep. Google chrome does that sometimes. I pay my electric bill online and I have to use a different browser because Chrome does that.. Use Internet explorer instead or you can download firefox.
cookderosa Wrote:Sooooo frustrated. Any suggestions?

Download Mozilla Firefox and set it as your default web browser (Or as a secondary). That should solve your problem. I have no issues with it.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
sorry about the late reply, but you guys nailed it. I used Firefox and it let me right in. Thanks a billion.
For any students in the future, I would recommend using Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox for any Straighterline or online courses. I currently have IE, Firefox, and Chrome on my computer. Chrome is great for internet searching, movies, photos etc., but online courses and classes don't work on it. I first switched to IE because they said it was the recommended browser. It was SUUUPER SLOWWW. I use Firefox for all of my online courses now. Its pretty fast and I think I'm starting to get used to its features. Only problem lately has been some Javascript error that keeps coming up, but I think that's with my computer not the browser. But who knows, there may be a way to make Chrome work for the courses, but I found it easier to just download Firefox (I'm not a very big technical person). Hope this helps anyone.

**Edited** Only one cup of coffee at the moment (my excuse)
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Faced with a desperate skills shortage, tech leaders plead for CS reform in schools MNomadic 5 735 07-19-2022, 06:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Is Genocide Ok as Long as It Makes Everyone Happy? LevelUP 7 1,107 06-12-2022, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Booster shot is sufficient for most... bjcheung77 20 1,977 03-31-2022, 07:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  I need some tech support Vle045 5 853 08-20-2021, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Programming/tech books at Humble Bundle rachel83az 0 764 08-20-2020, 08:38 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cousera Google offers $150 to complete IT Support Cert graduatesoon 15 3,672 02-29-2020, 08:10 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  where's a good place to relocate if you're in tech ? nyvrem 9 2,086 03-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Last Post: alab21
  Commute to work - how long? cookderosa 9 1,831 01-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  US vs foreign tech workers (moved from Study.com New CS Courses) armstrongsubero 17 2,453 12-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Study of Georgia Tech OMSCS shows solid success davewill 2 1,563 03-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Last Post: davewill