Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking for something to read? Check this out!
So, I'm reading a fascinating book called David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. Some of you may recognize that name, he's also the author of Outliers. He is a stats storyteller with a kind of "myths buster" attitude. (he talks a lot about education/higher education/success/etc. and evaluates perceptions vs what the data shows)

Chapter 3 is quite amazing. His question is essentially "should you go to the best school you can get into?" For instance, if you apply to NoNameU and Harvard, should you choose Harvard? If you are interested in STEM, what are the factors that will determine whether or not you'll complete your degree or drop out?

Interesting stuff, I think most of you here would really like this book. Check your library! Smile
Sounds good!
Tara

I'm done!Smile Thanks to InstantCert, Study.com, ALEKS, CLEP and a LOT of work on my part and a lot of support from hubby and family. If I can do it, so can you! 

Degrees:
Thomas Edison State College (TESC) - Bachelor of Science Nursing; RN, BSN (Graduated in the top of 1/4 of class with Sigma Theta Tau honors)
+ 3 courses completed towards MSN.
Excelsior College (EC) - Associates in Applied Science (passed NCLEX- RN exam and became a Registered Nurse)

The test's Passed (CLEP'S, DSST's, ALEK's, etc.):
Credits/Course
3          Introduction to Sociology
3          Lifespan and Developmental Psychology
3          Humanities (64)
3          History of the United States I (60)
3          History of the United States II (65)
3          American Government (54)
6          Biology (58)
6          Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (67)
3          Principals of Management (72)
3          ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra
3          CLEP Intro to Psych
3          ALEKS: Statistics

YOU CAN DO IT!!![Image: smile.png]
I remember hearing a story about this book on NPR. Since then, it's been on my reading list (a fair amount of nonfiction books on my To Read list came about the same way), but I've yet to find it at a library near me.

That you have thus far given it a positive review makes me want to read it even more! I'll get a hold of it one of these days Smile
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

Maniac Craniac Wrote:I remember hearing a story about this book on NPR. Since then, it's been on my reading list (a fair amount of nonfiction books on my To Read list came about the same way), but I've yet to find it at a library near me.

That you have thus far given it a positive review makes me want to read it even more! I'll get a hold of it one of these days Smile

Maniac did you read Outliers? If not, put them both on there! PS your library can get these for you lickity-split. Smile
I buy used books...this is probably why I own too many.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Got some overdue library books? Check! bjcheung77 6 1,252 12-04-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Where to check a company's validity? keepsingin 9 4,440 08-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Last Post: High_Order1
  When unpaid student debt leads to a smaller Social Security check bluebooger 7 2,520 12-31-2016, 01:13 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Need a laugh? Read about the Ig Nobel Prize winners. sanantone 5 914 05-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Education Department deploys ‘mystery shoppers’ to check for fraud dcan 2 1,146 02-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Last Post: dcan
  check it out! STG 27 3,693 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Last Post: STG
  How many books do you usually read a year? LOC4ME 21 2,734 06-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Please Read gmedrone 4 2,219 05-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Last Post: sgloer