Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
math.. a course less traveled
ShotoJuku Wrote:
I was just wondering about "because it seemed to match my understanding of the subject the best" as my own "understanding" is quite limited having not taken any math in nearly 30 years and I'm not looking forward to this one.
My own understanding was basically that I have a very firm grasp of things like addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, averages, median, things like that. I wasn't familiar with things like Venn diagrams or sets, base two or algorithms, but since they aren't rocket science, the books were helpful there. There were other parts, though, that I'm certain I could have fully understood had I took more time, but that I didn't see as useful to me in life and figured I could pass the test without knowing it well, so just decided to wing it in those areas. I'm referring to things like functions or the more difficult algebra questions. They don't make up a large enough portion of the test to warrant a thorough understanding (in my opinion), so I got the basics and just tried my best on the test.

ShotoJuku Wrote: The other thing was that you didn't find InstantCert helpful which for me is not a good sign as I count on InstantCert HEAVILLY all I can. Congrats again!!

I didn't find Instacert as helpful because there was too much here that wasn't necessary. I'd spend a portion of study here going "Duh, of course I know that" and the other portion going "Uhhh... I'm lost." I don't know that it's InstaCert's fault, though. If I were slightly more patient, I might have been able to make it work. But I had what I felt were better sources, so I took advantage of them.
Thanks for thefeedback on this my course of "no choice". Anyway, being totally serious..basic math..adding,subtracting, dividing, multiplication and such I'll do great on, but how much of that simple math % wise is apart of this test. Give me a breakdown of the composition elements of this test if you can by percent. Thanks so very much!!
I've tried three times now to write a description and I really don't think I can. I don't think I can give you any information that would be very useful beyond what I've already said. The one thing I will say further is that I found Cracking The CLEP very helpful. If I were going to invest in anything just for one test (which, I suppose, I did), I'd get it.
sirjake Wrote:I've tried three times now to write a description and I really don't think I can. I don't think I can give you any information that would be very useful beyond what I've already said. The one thing I will say further is that I found Cracking The CLEP very helpful. If I were going to invest in anything just for one test (which, I suppose, I did), I'd get it.
How much of the test was basic math?
I don't know. It's hard to separate what I would have gotten correct prior to studying with the information I've picked up over the last week. A pure guess would be probably 10-15 questions.
sirjake Wrote:I don't know. It's hard to separate what I would have gotten correct prior to studying with the information I've picked up over the last week. A pure guess would be probably 10-15 questions.
Thanks. As you can tell this course means alot and my apprehension of it runs wild. Thanks again.
[SIZE="2"]Yes, thanks from me too as any information about the exam will be extremely beneficial to me as math is my final obstacle before a graduate - KEEP IT COMING!!![/SIZE]
I am taking the Clep Math on the 10th of April, this is my last clep to receive my BSHS. I have been using instant cert, but like you it has been going over my head. I have been out of school for so long, I was having a mathphobia. I am utilizing
http://www.stepbystepmath.aol.com which is just like having a tutor, it is helping me tremendously. It is free for 30 days and 4.95 thereafter. Hope this help.
katkhari Wrote:I am taking the Clep Math on the 10th of April, this is my last clep to receive my BSHS. I have been using instant cert, but like you it has been going over my head. I have been out of school for so long, I was having a mathphobia. I am utilizing
http://www.stepbystepmath.aol.com which is just like having a tutor, it is helping me tremendously. It is free for 30 days and 4.95 thereafter. Hope this help.

[SIZE="3"]Sounds good.....Thanks & GOOD LUCK!![/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 354 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,143 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 975 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,078 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,174 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  RA math option? Insert Name 7 933 02-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Is It Worth the Money to Get a College Degree? Lets Do the Math and Find Out! LevelUP 20 2,020 02-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Math Help! splirow 16 1,494 09-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: splirow
  1 credit math or science ? uncapentin 3 605 06-02-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Easiest math general education options? Math avoidant 5 2,062 05-07-2022, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Math avoidant