Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my son's experience with ALEKS
Signed up my son for ALEKS and wanted to report his progress. He is taking Calculus at home, so he's familiar with most of what he encountered on ALEKS. He passed each initial assessment exam the same day he started it, and in one sitting without logging out of ALEKS. He did them each on a separate day. Specific course info:

Intermediate Algebra: Passed initial assessment in under 3 hours, double-checking answers. On this one, he copied down the problems and his answers for me to review after the exam was over. I can do this level material in my sleep, backwards and forwards. Based on his answers, he should have received 100% on the Intermediate Algebra initial exam, but instead it scored him at 82% mastery. All I can guess on this is that the lower score is due either to the fact that all topics cannot be tested on a 30-question exam or ALEKS doesn't recognize all possible ways of entering the answers. For example, one could enter (x+2)^2 or (x+2)(x+2) or x^2+4x+4. Or negative five-ninths could be entered as -(5/9) or -5/9.

College Algebra: Took nearly 7 hours to pass initial assessment, 79% mastery. This was by far the most difficult exam of the 3. By the way, he already earned this credit via Study.com, but by passing it on ALEKS, he freed up room for more Study.com courses. We were concerned about eventually hitting the TESU 90-credit transfer limit on Study.com.

PreCalculus: Passed initial assessment in under 4 hours, 80% mastery. Straightforward questions, completely doable. He double-checked his answers and stated there were some he was uncertain of.

He has no experience with Statistics and currently is not interested in even looking at it on ALEKS. We have 3 weeks left in our subscription, so I'm hoping he will change his mind. Any tips or helpful web links for passing the ALEKS Statistics would be much appreciated. If he bails on ALEKS Statistics, we'll go with Study.com. Also, could someone please tell me specifically WHICH ALEKS Statistics course is needed to satisfy the required statistics for TESU BSBA GM? I want to be absolutely certain I don't screw this up for him. It looks like the ALEKS/ACE choices are:

Introduction to Statistics
Business Statistics
Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences

Kudos to ACE & ALEKS for transferring the credits so quickly (except for that long holiday weekend wait).
I came to this forum researching for my now 17-yr-old son who was earning credits via testing and online courses. He completed TESU's BUS-421 in March 2018, the capstone for the TESU BSBA GM degree.  Below are the courses he took:
Study.com: Business 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 109, 113, 121, 308, 309; Economics 101, 102; Finance 101, 102; History 103, 104, 106, 108; Math 103; Political Science 102; Religion 101; Geology 101; Nutrition 101; Chemistry 101; English 305
SL: Intro to Communications, Accounting 1&2, Financial Accounting
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus, Statistics
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101, 102, 103
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
312N-H Ethics & the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct
Community College: English 101 & 102, Calculus 1
TESU: MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP, BUS-421-OL BSBA Capstone Course (January 2018 term)
Wow! Nice work by your son. I did Intro to Stats and used this guy's youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLvOTk8...cSYU-xiujg. You can search the topics from this guy's channel. I got through about 67-68% of the course just from this teacher's help. There were only a handful of topics I had to figure out with different sources of help. Good luck!
You can take any of the 3 stats courses through ALEKS for the BSBA. They all come in the same, STA-201.

If he wanted to afterward, he could also do the Saylor Business Stats course ($25 for the exam), which comes in as OPM-351, and will work in the AOS under the MAN section (and UL to boot).

I also recommend that if he was to take the Business Comm (COM-300) course through Study.com, that he then take Saylor's Corporate Comm course (MAN-373) - one will fit in the Prof. Business Requirements, and the other in the AOS under the MAN section.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:You can take any of the 3 stats courses through ALEKS for the BSBA. They all come in the same, STA-201.

If he wanted to afterward, he could also do the Saylor Business Stats course ($25 for the exam), which comes in as OPM-351, and will work in the AOS under the MAN section (and UL to boot).

I also recommend that if he was to take the Business Comm (COM-300) course through Study.com, that he then take Saylor's Corporate Comm course (MAN-373) - one will fit in the Prof. Business Requirements, and the other in the AOS under the MAN section.
THANKS!
He would want the EASIEST ALEKS Stats course that fulfills TESU's requirement for STA-201. Which one would that be? ha!
He has not yet taken Business Communication. Here's what he has completed so far (outside of Gen Ed): Please advise.
Prof. Business Requirements:
Taken (5): Business Law, Info Systems & Apps, Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Macroeconomics
Remaining (7): Financial Acc, Intro to Managerial Acc, Finance, Global & International Mngmt, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Strategic Management - all are tentatively planned thru Study.com (and included in the 90-hour calculation) except for Strategic Management TECEP.
AOS:
Taken (4): Org Behavior, HRM, Labor Relations, Digital Marketing. Those all transfer from Study.com to TESU as UL, I think, so I believe he has fulfilled the AOS 12cr UL requirement. If I'm wrong, please correct me!! These check the Management & Marketing boxes.
Remaining (2): 2 classes needed. Accounting or Finance for one of them, and the other can be in any area, I presume. Now that he freed up 3 hours at Study.com, both of these can come from Study.com. However, we prefer easiest and fastest possible route on these. Not too concerned about cost, but would like to keep it under $300 each if possible.
Thanks for your help!
I came to this forum researching for my now 17-yr-old son who was earning credits via testing and online courses. He completed TESU's BUS-421 in March 2018, the capstone for the TESU BSBA GM degree.  Below are the courses he took:
Study.com: Business 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 109, 113, 121, 308, 309; Economics 101, 102; Finance 101, 102; History 103, 104, 106, 108; Math 103; Political Science 102; Religion 101; Geology 101; Nutrition 101; Chemistry 101; English 305
SL: Intro to Communications, Accounting 1&2, Financial Accounting
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus, Statistics
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101, 102, 103
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
312N-H Ethics & the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct
Community College: English 101 & 102, Calculus 1
TESU: MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP, BUS-421-OL BSBA Capstone Course (January 2018 term)
wandac Wrote:THANKS!
He would want the EASIEST ALEKS Stats course that fulfills TESU's requirement for STA-201. Which one would that be? ha!
He has not yet taken Business Communication. Here's what he has completed so far (outside of Gen Ed): Please advise.
Taken (5): Business Law, Info Systems & Apps, Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Macroeconomics
Remaining (7): Financial Acc, Intro to Managerial Acc, Finance, Global & International Mngmt, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Strategic Management - all are tentatively planned thru Study.com (and included in the 90-hour calculation) except for Strategic Management TECEP.
AOS:
Taken (4): Org Behavior, HRM, Labor Relations, Digital Marketing. Those all transfer from Study.com to TESU as UL, I think, so I believe he has fulfilled the AOS 12cr UL requirement. If I'm wrong, please correct me!! These check the Management & Marketing boxes.
Remaining (2): 2 classes needed. Accounting or Finance for one of them, and the other can be in any area, I presume. Now that he freed up 3 hours at Study.com, both of these can come from Study.com. However, we prefer easiest and fastest possible route on these. Not too concerned about cost, but would like to keep it under $300 each if possible.
Thanks for your help!

That all sounds good. I would have him take either Applied Managerial Accounting or Advanced Accounting from Study.com to fulfill the ACC area. Then, he can take any of the other business courses, I don't know which is easiest since I haven't taken any.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
wandac Wrote:THANKS!
AOS:
Thanks for your help!

I would look into Business 306 Strategic HR Management from Study.com for one of his remaining courses. There is a project but it only took me about two hours to complete. If he nails the final, the project grade won't even matter that much. I scored over 90% on the exam because it is similar to the regular 106 HR Management course. There is quite a bit of overlap from some of the courses your son has already completed so he won't need to do all of the quizzes.
Unrelated, but a buddy of mine just completed an ALEKS course, and they approved it for his ACE transcript in less than 15 mins.

Impressive.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,253 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,745 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Davar Academy experience - MAN-330 International Management TopHatWombat 6 1,296 12-30-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: mariobros1985
  Experience with Alison? SCYankee 10 1,347 06-27-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 30 5,314 04-02-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Can anyone share their experience with Edx Critical Business Skills course by SNHU? lorabel 7 1,454 03-17-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Free 6 Month Subscription to Coursera Google, Facebook, & IBM, It Certs Experience LevelUP 22 4,527 11-22-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: scottlefoll
  ALEKS GLMRGIRL717 2 619 08-15-2022, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Still time for ALEKS credit? MDW2447 14 3,024 09-10-2021, 03:55 AM
Last Post: echo64
  Sophia.org Experience HBCIRCA14 7 1,356 02-03-2021, 06:28 PM
Last Post: HBCIRCA14