Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need advice on designing UMPI BBA Mgmt Leadership concentration Excel degree plan
Hello,

I am trying to educate myself and my son by reading through the Wiki and studying the existing threads on the UMPI Your Pace Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA or BABA...not sure the exact acronym) degree Management and Leadership curriculum found at https://online.umpi.edu/degrees/undergra...eadership/. Also, I am utilizing the Wiki thread at https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan to create a "plug and play" validated clear plan forward for an MS Excel template for this degree for my son. 

I am utilizing the degree plan that Ashkir had developed within the last several years along with the advice of other members to design my son's degree plan template. He is 20 going on 21 and became disillusioned with traditional university and lack of engagement due to COVID and some personal tragedies in his life. At this point, he wants to get working, but, still sees the value in a Bachelor's degree. He just needs the extra motivation to set up a clear, executable, and achievable plan that will ideally not take 3 more years. So, I am trying to look at an affordable, relatively quick plan that will help get the Bachelor's degree in ideally under one year.

He is targeting a Bachelor in Business Administration degree, but, at a certain point, a Bachelor's degree in Liberal Studies or General Studies will do. He needs the credential.

So, it looks like UMPI Your Pace BBA or BABA (acronyms are hard to keep up with on this board) and the Mgmt and Leadership concentration would be a good option being straightforward, fairly quick, and economical.

In order to be transparent and help other board members answer questions, I am trying to give background information about him along with the credits he has earned that people have requested.  Here it is:

Course Number/Course Name/Number of Credits/Grade

ANTH 1500 Introduction to Anthropology 3 cr  B
REL 2601 Introduction to World Religions 3 cr A
THTR 1500 History of Motion Pictures 3 cr B
ASTR 1504 Descriptive Astronomy 3 cr B
CHMST 1545 Communication Foundations 3 cr B
ENGL 1550 Writing 1 (same as Engl Composition) 3 cr A
PSYCH 1550 General Psychology 3 cr C
YSU 1500 Student Success Seminar 1 cr A
HIST 2605 US History 1 3 cr D would not transfer as "D" grade to UMPI?
GEOG 2630 Weather 3 cr 

He would be able to study about 20-40 hours a week and is working a part time job. 
I would appreciate any advice on direction for designing the Excel degree plan template for this degree.

Regarding designing the degree plan template for the UPMI BABA with Mgmt and Leadership concentration at https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan, the plan is to essentially put the table that is on this plan into a spreadsheet. In designing the Excel degree plan, I have attached Ashkir's plan along with my first attempt at designing a degree plan. The plan that is not Ashkir's that is blank is my attempt to design the columns and rows based on other feedback I have received thus far.

If anyone else has an Excel degree plan for this program where they have previous credits earned, I would certainly appreciate it if they are willing to share. I realize everyone's degree credits are different, but, it is really helpful to have a template for a model.

Thank you,

Education Seeker

Attached Files
.xlsx   UMPI BBA Mgmt + Leadership Degree Plan.xlsx (Size: 10.51 KB / Downloads: 28)
.xlsx   6 Month UMPI BABA Degree (1).xlsx (Size: 21.04 KB / Downloads: 28)
BBA is not a degree offered by UMPI. BBA = Bachelor of Business Administration

BABA is what UMPI offers. BABA = Bachelor of Arts Business Administration

I've commented several times that UMPI does NOT accept D's. C- is the lowest grade that they will accept. 

We don't need ashkir's plan. It's outdated as several courses have changed since then. Your plan looks empty. 

Let's see if the rough example I just created for you attaches.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Example.xlsx (Size: 9.61 KB / Downloads: 37)
(07-14-2022, 03:09 PM)ss20ts Wrote: BBA is not a degree offered by UMPI. BBA = Bachelor of Business Administration

BABA is what UMPI offers. BABA = Bachelor of Arts Business Administration

I've commented several times that UMPI does NOT accept D's. C- is the lowest grade that they will accept. 

We don't need ashkir's plan. It's outdated as several courses have changed since then. Your plan looks empty. 

Let's see if the rough example I just created for you attaches.

SS20TS - 

Yes, I do see that UPMI doesn't accept D grades for transfer credits. I get it. Sorry if that wasn't clear as I understood.

Thank you for the template. I further took the UMPI BABA Mgmt and Leadership concentration and used the degree plan to make a rudimentary spreadsheet. Is it missing anything? I know I need to fill it in, but, I wanted to make sure I had the correct columns or I wanted to see if I was missing anything important as I am a newbie and I don't want to forget important information.

Thanks,

Education Seeker

Attached Files
.xlsx   UPMI BABA Mgmt + Lead Degree Plan July 2022.xlsx (Size: 14.85 KB / Downloads: 25)
Eng Comp - he may already have Eng Comp 1 done at Youngstown. I wouldn't take anymore Eng Comp outside of UMPI. They're easy courses at UMPI - only 1 paper!

1C- take Communication at Work on Sophia.

2D - take at UMPI. Most people have completed it in 3 days. It's a very easy course. Not worth paying Study for.

3A - take this at UMPI. No reason to pay Study for this course. It's an exam at UMPI and pretty easy.

He doesn't need Environmental Science, Art History, US History, or Sociology. I marked on another thread how his Youngstown courses will fill GEC requirements.

5C - take Spanish on Sophia

You're missing courses. There are Business Administration Major courses and Management & Leadership Courses required for the degree. Also the general electives. He can only transfer in 90 credits. I'd get the LL courses done from Sophia and the bio from ASU.

This is my general recommendation for anyone working on an UMPI degree for the GEC:

1A. Take at UMPI
1B. Take at UMPI
1C. Take at UMPI
1D. Take at UMPI
2A. Sophia – Introduction to Ethics
2B. Sophia – Introduction to Ethics
2C. Take at UMPI
2D. Take at UMPI
2E. Sophia – Art History 1
3A. Sophia – College Algebra
3B. Sophia – Introduction to Statistics
3C. Study.com Biology101L Biology with Lab or Sophia – Human Biology
3D. Sophia – Environmental Science or Study.com – Chemistry 111L Chemistry I with Lab
3E. Study.com Biology101L Biology with Lab or Chemistry 111L Chemistry I with Lab
4A. YourPace Orientation
4B. Take at UMPI
4C. Sophia – Introduction to Ethics
5A. Sophia – Approaches to Studying Religions or Introduction to Sociology
5B. Sophia – US History 1
5C. Sophia – Spanish 1
5D. Sophia – Ancient Greek Philosophers
5E. Take at UMPI

Keep in my your son already has courses from Youngstown that fill some of these and I noted them on another thread.
(07-14-2022, 03:57 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Eng Comp - he may already have Eng Comp 1 done at Youngstown. I wouldn't take anymore Eng Comp outside of UMPI. They're easy courses at UMPI - only 1 paper!

2D - take at UMPI. Most people have completed it in 3 days. It's a very easy course. Not worth paying Study for.

3A - take this at UMPI. No reason to pay Study for this course. It's an exam at UMPI and pretty easy.

He doesn't need Environmental Science, Art History, US History, or Sociology. I marked on another thread how his Youngstown courses will fill GEC requirements.

You're missing courses. There are Business Administration Major courses and Management & Leadership Courses required for the degree. Also the general electives. He can only transfer in 90 credits. I'd get the LL courses done from Sophia and the bio from ASU.

This is my general recommendation for anyone working on an UMPI degree for the GEC:

1A. Take at UMPI
1B. Take at UMPI
1C. Take at UMPI
1D. Take at UMPI
2C. Take at UMPI
2D. Take at UMPI
3D. Sophia – Environmental Science or Study.com – Chemistry 111L Chemistry I with Lab
3E. Study.com Biology101L Biology with Lab or Chemistry 111L Chemistry I with Lab
4A. YourPace Orientation
4B. Take at UMPI
5C. Sophia – Spanish 1
5E. Take at UMPI

Keep in my your son already has courses from Youngstown that fill some of these and I noted them on another thread.
It looks like he can take all his LL credits through either Sophia, BiO class at ASU or SDC, or UPMI. Would all the UL credits need to be taken at UMPI or though any other credit providers?

I have noted the YSU classes that meet the other GEC requirements. However, I am having trouble finding the other thread. I will look on the other recent threads I have seen.

Thanks,

Education Seeker
Education
(07-14-2022, 03:57 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Eng Comp - he may already have Eng Comp 1 done at Youngstown. I wouldn't take anymore Eng Comp outside of UMPI. They're easy courses at UMPI - only 1 paper!

1A. Take at UMPI
1B. Take at UMPI
1C. Take at UMPI
1D. Take at UMPI
2C. Take at UMPI
2D. Take at UMPI
4A. YourPace Orientation
4B. Take at UMPI
5C. Sophia – Spanish 1
5E. Take at UMPI

@SS20TS-

I found your other post and how the credits he earned at YSU would transfer into UMPI categories. I also filled in how I can see the courses would fill in the degree plan I created.

5A ANTH 1500 Introduction to Anthropology 3 cr  B
5A REL 2601 Introduction to World Religions 3 cr A
2E THTR 1500 History of Motion Pictures 3 cr B
3D ASTR 1504 Descriptive Astronomy 3 cr B
General Elective CHMST 1545 Communication Foundations 3 cr B
1A, 1D - this is a guess - UMPI can be picky about English courses ENGL 1550 Writing 1 (same as Engl Composition) 3 cr A
2B PSYCH 1550 General Psychology 3 cr C
4A - this isn't needed for YourPace students as there is a 0 credit course YourPace students take that shows you how the learning platform works YSU 1500 Student Success Seminar 1 cr A
Won't transfer HIST 2605 US History 1 3 cr D
3D GEOG 2630 Weather 3 cr C

Eng Comp - he may already have Eng Comp 1 done at Youngstown. I wouldn't take anymore Eng Comp outside of UMPI. They're easy courses at UMPI - only 1 paper!

Since my son has ANTH 1500 Intro to Anthropology and REL 2601 Intro to World Religions which both meet the 5A category, does one of these three credit hour classes go towards his General Electives (GE) if he already has a class meeting this requirement?

Same question for ASTR 1504 Descriptive Astronomy and GEOG 2630 Weather...if one of these 3 credit hour classes meets the 3D category, does the other three credit hour class go towards meeting his GE credit requirements?

Thanks,

Education Seeker

Attached Files
.xlsx   UPMI BABA Mgmt + Lead Degree Plan July 2022.xlsx (Size: 16.25 KB / Downloads: 6)
(07-15-2022, 12:07 AM)EducationSeeker Wrote: @SS20TS-

I found your other post and how the credits he earned at YSU would transfer into UMPI categories. I also filled in how I can see the courses would fill in the degree plan I created.

1A, 1D - this is a guess - UMPI can be picky about English courses ENGL 1550 Writing 1 (same as Engl Composition) 3 cr A
4A - this isn't needed for YourPace students as there is a 0 credit course YourPace students take that shows you how the learning platform works YSU 1500 Student Success Seminar 1 cr A

Since my son has ANTH 1500 Intro to Anthropology and REL 2601 Intro to World Religions which both meet the 5A category, does one of these three credit hour classes go towards his General Electives (GE) if he already has a class meeting this requirement?

Same question for ASTR 1504 Descriptive Astronomy and GEOG 2630 Weather...if one of these 3 credit hour classes meets the 3D category, does the other three credit hour class go towards meeting his GE credit requirements?

Thanks,

Education Seeker

Only 1 course will be used to fill a GEC requirement so I would move the world religions class to the general electives. Same with weather. 

His psych class should fill 2A & 2B. 

http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=4&navoid=153

Your spreadsheet is completing missing the Business Administration Major courses. Lines 65-69 are not correct. Your numbers don't match what you have listed. 

https://online.umpi.edu/degrees/undergra...eadership/
(07-15-2022, 11:37 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-15-2022, 12:07 AM)EducationSeeker Wrote: @SS20TS-

Thanks,

Education Seeker

Only 1 course will be used to fill a GEC requirement so I would move the world religions class to the general electives. Same with weather. 

His psych class should fill 2A & 2B. 

http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=4&navoid=153

Your spreadsheet is completing missing the Business Administration Major courses. Lines 65-69 are not correct. Your numbers don't match what you have listed. 

https://online.umpi.edu/degrees/undergra...eadership/
@ss20ts

Thanks for the reminder for including the Core Business Admin courses. I added them to the attached degree plan. Also, I added the Communication Foundations, Weather, and Intro to World Religions to the General Elective sections. According to the UMPI website link you sent, it looks like he would have between 18-21 General Elective classes to take. 

I have a couple of questions:

-It looks like he has 12 credits of GE already taken at YSU (mentioned in paragraph above). If I assume he needs to complete the most GE classes, he would have 21-9 = 12 classes or 4 classes @ 3 cr each to finish the GE requirement? Do these GE classes have to be UL or LL? I am assuming these GE classes can be in whatever subject he wants?

-On the wiki for the Business Admin core classes and some of the Marketing Leadership concentration classes which he has not taken any of so far, the providers are Study.com, Sophia, or UMPI, can my son take only Sophia instead of Study.com? It is my understanding that Sophia is one of the only major providers aside from Lawshelf and perhaps Davar that is not proctored. He would prefer to not take a proctored class if possible, but, will take one if need be.

I appreciate any members feedback on the accuracy of the attached UMPI BABA Mgmt Leadership Excel degree plan.

Thanks,

Education Seeker

Attached Files
.xlsx   UPMI BABA Mgmt + Lead Degree Plan July 2022.xlsx (Size: 17.37 KB / Downloads: 7)
Yes this degree has 18-21 credits of general electives which can be any course. He needs to take macro & micro economics on Sophia. That will transfer as ECO207 and a general elective.

Since he doesn't want proctors, I'd wouldn't suggest Study. Study is also $200 for 2 exams per month. You can take up to 3 additional exams each month for an extra $70 for each exam. I'd spend that money at UMPI instead. He must complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI anyway.

Lawshelf and Davar don't transfer to UMPI so don't waste the time.

He can use Sophia as his only ACE provider. When he's finished with his Sophia courses, he can apply to UMPI and begin the next session. Has he started any classes on Sophia?
(07-15-2022, 12:53 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Yes this degree has 18-21 credits of general electives which can be any course. He needs to take macro & micro economics on Sophia. That will transfer as ECO207 and a general elective.

Since he doesn't want proctors, I'd wouldn't suggest Study. Study is also $200 for 2 exams per month. You can take up to 3 additional exams each month for an extra $70 for each exam. I'd spend that money at UMPI instead. He must complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI anyway.

Lawshelf and Davar don't transfer to UMPI so don't waste the time.

He can use Sophia as his only ACE provider. When he's finished with his Sophia courses, he can apply to UMPI and begin the next session. Has he started any classes on Sophia?

@ss20ts-

He is in the process of signing up for Sophia now. I am assuming he can use Sophia for most if not all General Education and General Elective courses at UMPI based on what you outlined earlier in your other thread? Is there any place to find discount codes for Sophia and how much do they run a month? I am not familiar with their pricing.

Thanks,

Education Seeker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I on the right path for any BLS degree rme1987 11 252 10 hours ago
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 153 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 144 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 46 4,311 03-25-2024, 08:54 PM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 204 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 361 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 840 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 258 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,347 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 198 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87