Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help with degree planning for son for Bachelor's in Business Admin or Finance
My older son has 1.5 years of general education requirements from Youngstown State University in Ohio and I need help with degree planning advice. He has about 30-35 credits. He is looking at a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or Finance and I am looking at Big 3 (or similar faster Business bachelor degree programs like UMPI or WGU) that would help him get done within 1-1.5 years utilizing primarily credit by exam or competency based courses. Appreciate your help.

Education Seeker
Please follow the instructions in the second post here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

It's impossible to adequately assist without knowing exactly what credits have already been earned.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
List all credits earned, including course #, full course name, # of credits, and grade if less than a C (matters for some things).

Then, just an FYI, you'll probably either want TESU (they have a BSBA w/Finance concentration; and you have the RA requirement met, so no hurdles); or UMPI's BABA, although they don't have a Finance concentration.

You can get the remaining ~84cr for TESU via Sophia, Study.com, CSMLearn, Saylor, Davar, Coopersmith, CLEP, DSST, etc. And you can get the remaining ~60cr for UMPI via Sophia, Study.com, Saylor, or other ACE providers.

Once you list the credits earned, we can tell you what he'd need to take to finish up.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Further to what was mentioned, it's best to know what budget, commitments, time he has for his studies.  The more information, the better we know their situation.   As I pointed out in your other thread, do not rush things and plan accordingly to his desired educational goal. Link:  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ol-Student
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-03-2022, 07:54 AM)dfrecore Wrote: List all credits earned, including course #, full course name, # of credits, and grade if less than a C (matters for some things).

Then, just an FYI, you'll probably either want TESU (they have a BSBA w/Finance concentration; and you have the RA requirement met, so no hurdles); or UMPI's BABA, although they don't have a Finance concentration.

You can get the remaining ~84cr for TESU via Sophia, Study.com, CSMLearn, Saylor, Davar, Coopersmith, CLEP, DSST, etc.  And you can get the remaining ~60cr for UMPI via Sophia, Study.com, Saylor, or other ACE providers.

Once you list the credits earned, we can tell you what he'd need to take to finish up.

Hi, 

Sorry, I am a bit late posting to this response that was a little over 1 month ago, but, I am following up to a post trying to help my son finish his Bachelor's Degree in either Business Administration or most likely Finance. 

He is 20 going on 21 so he is still more of a traditional college age student and figuring his life out. He has about 1.5 years of courses at Youngstown State University in Ohio. He took this Spring semester off to work and figure his life out right now as he did not have a great start to University with the death of his mom and COVID (graduated HS in 2020). 

He thinks he would like to manage or own real commercial real estate or work in an investment firm. Additionally, he is considering law school after his Bachelor's degree and working in Real Estate or Corporate Law.

The traditional path of another 3 years of full time work seems daunting to him at a traditional university. So, we are looking potentially cheaper and/or faster options such as TESU, WGU, SNHU, Purdue Global (has nice Finance concentrations like Wealth Management or Real Estate, but, it seems expensive), or UMPI. From a budget standpoint, I am still helping him pay tuition and I would like to try and stay under $20k for the remainder of his Bachelor's degree.

As directed, I am listing the course #, full course name, # of credits, and grade if less than a C from Youngstown State to get some good options and projected ball park costs for the Bachelor's Degree.

Transcript

Course Number/Course Name/Number of Credits/Grade

ANTH 1500 Introduction to Anthropology 3 cr  B
REL 2601 Introduction to World Religions 3 cr A
THTR 1500 History of Motion Pictures 3 cr B
ASTR 1504 Descriptive Astronomy 3 cr B
CHMST 1545 Communication Foundations 3 cr B
ENGL 1550 Writing 1 (same as Engl Composition) 3 cr A
PSYCH 1550 General Psychology 3 cr C
YSU 1500 Student Success Seminar 1 cr A
HIST 2605 US History 1 3 cr D
GEOG 2630 Weather 3 cr C

Credit hour total: 28 credit hours (1 class is below C grade and may not transfer). This leaves him roughly about 92-95 credit hours to earn before he would get about 120 credit hours for a Bachelor's Degree. If he can finish in 1-2 years for under $10k, that would be ideal. I appreciate any recommendations, degree plans, and tuition ballpark estimates.

Thanks,

EducationSeeker
Is he okay with writing papers or would he prefer exams? Would he want to continue on to an MBA or other Master's degree? If yes, does he have his eye on any in particular? Depending on his goals, it could be possible to get both the Bachelor's and the Master's for under $20k.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(05-13-2022, 12:59 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Is he okay with writing papers or would he prefer exams? Would he want to continue on to an MBA or other Master's degree? If yes, does he have his eye on any in particular? Depending on his goals, it could be possible to get both the Bachelor's and the Master's for under $20k.

Hi Rachel83az, 

I don't think he has a strong preference between exams and writing papers as a method of evaluation. If I had to lean more one way, I think he would rather lean towards taking an exam than writing a paper. My preference is to keep the cost for the Bachelor's below $10k USD, but, please share where he could get an MBA.

Thank you,

EducationSeeker
If he's able to finish quickly, he may be able to take advantage of HAU's MBA for $3k. Otherwise, there are a number of MBAs that can be had for under $15k. See https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-or-Abroad

If he prefers exams, he should be able to get a business degree from either TESU or Excelsior for $6-8k total. I think that TESU has the BSBA Finance while Excelsior does not.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
@EducationSeeker, two main options: Excelsior/TESU for max transfer of alternative credits, up to 113/114. UMPI/WGU for competency based education option if assessments and assignments are "OK", a max transfer of at most 90 credits, the rest must be completed at the institution... They all offer a Bachelors in Business Admin and then ladder onto either HAU MBA if they still have the $3K offering or WGU MBA if CBE is the method is more ideal for the student...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-14-2022, 12:39 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @EducationSeeker, two main options:  Excelsior/TESU for max transfer of alternative credits, up to 113/114.  UMPI/WGU for competency based education option if assessments and assignments are "OK", a max transfer of at most 90 credits, the rest must be completed at the institution...  They all offer a Bachelors in Business Admin and then ladder onto either HAU MBA if they still have the $3K offering or WGU MBA if CBE is the method is more ideal for the student...

Hi bjcheung77,

Is HAU = Hellenic American University for the MBA? Based on the courses I listed for my son at YSU, can you recommend where I might find a degree plan and what the approximate costs would be for Excelsior/TESU?

From a cost perspective, would UMPI, WGU, Excelsior, or TESU be the least expensive?

Thanks,

EducationSeeker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 27 315 4 minutes ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 119 6 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 266 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,847 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 172 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 947 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 558 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 238 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM