Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help with degree planning for son for Bachelor's in Business Admin or Finance
(05-15-2022, 04:36 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:
(05-15-2022, 12:33 AM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU and EC are about the same as far as exams go: most courses will have exams and not papers. With UMPI, it's the opposite. Mostly papers and not exams.

Rachel83az,

For your son, did he choose TESU or EC? It looks like they cost about the same? I am leaning towards recommending TESU because they have Finance. My son is looking at probably working part time, living at home, and going to school full time. From what I am seeing, it would be most cost effective and less risky for him to go with Study.com or Sophia.com first and prove himself for maximizing the amount of return on investment rather than going with a CBE like WGU or I believe UMPI (I believe UMPI is CBE).

Education Seeker

I'm not the one with sons.  Smile I personally chose TESU because A.) I generally prefer exams and B.) they have Computer Science. TESU costs $500-3000 more than EC, depending on exactly which degree you're going for and if you pay for the residency waiver at TESU or do a single flat-rate 16-credit term there. 

Starting with Sophia.org first is generally advised. It'll get you used to the whole online schooling thing while being a relatively low-risk, high-reward option. No matter which school is chosen, for just a few hundred dollars, you can complete almost all of the required gen eds and most/all of your electives at Sophia.

A few words of advice: don't do English Comp I/II. There are better options, depending on the school chosen. When leaning towards a UMPI business degree, don't do Project Management either. Some courses aren't accepted by some schools. They can still be good for personal interest reasons, but don't automatically assume that every Sophia course will be worth credit at your chosen school. See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

If your 20/21 year old son is having trouble mustering the interest to get back to school, he might want to start by getting the FREE Pierpont AAS: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC Depending on exactly what credits he already has, he could be a college graduate in just a few months. This can be a huge motivator!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-16-2022, 01:19 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-15-2022, 04:36 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:
(05-15-2022, 12:33 AM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU and EC are about the same as far as exams go: most courses will have exams and not papers. With UMPI, it's the opposite. Mostly papers and not exams.

Rachel83az,

For your son, did he choose TESU or EC? It looks like they cost about the same? I am leaning towards recommending TESU because they have Finance. My son is looking at probably working part time, living at home, and going to school full time. From what I am seeing, it would be most cost effective and less risky for him to go with Study.com or Sophia.com first and prove himself for maximizing the amount of return on investment rather than going with a CBE like WGU or I believe UMPI (I believe UMPI is CBE).

Education Seeker

I'm not the one with sons.  Smile I personally chose TESU because A.) I generally prefer exams and B.) they have Computer Science. TESU costs $500-3000 more than EC, depending on exactly which degree you're going for and if you pay for the residency waiver at TESU or do a single flat-rate 16-credit term there. 

Starting with Sophia.org first is generally advised. It'll get you used to the whole online schooling thing while being a relatively low-risk, high-reward option. No matter which school is chosen, for just a few hundred dollars, you can complete almost all of the required gen eds and most/all of your electives at Sophia.

A few words of advice: don't do English Comp I/II. There are better options, depending on the school chosen. When leaning towards a UMPI business degree, don't do Project Management either. Some courses aren't accepted by some schools. They can still be good for personal interest reasons, but don't automatically assume that every Sophia course will be worth credit at your chosen school. See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

If your 20/21 year old son is having trouble mustering the interest to get back to school, he might want to start by getting the FREE Pierpont AAS: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC Depending on exactly what credits he already has, he could be a college graduate in just a few months. This can be a huge motivator!

Rachel83az,

I apologize as I mistook you for another user who had made a TESU degree plan for a 20 year old who completed the BA in 15 months. 

I appreciate that the rest of the Gen Eds and elective classes he would need could be done for a lower risk/lower cost amount of several hundred dollars through Sophia. I think that TESU would probably be a good option for him because they have a concentration/major for a Bachelor's degree in Finance.

He has completed English Composition I already at Youngstown State University. He would still need to complete English Comp II. Where do you recommend completing this course?

Thanks,

Education Seeker
For English Comp at TESU, there are 3 "best" options.

1.) https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University College Writing II from ONU has less writing than some other English Comp options. It's self-paced and $150 ($50/credit) no matter whether it takes you 1 month or 5 to complete the course. There are technically multiple writing assignments, but they're all building up to a single final paper. I.E., "write a thesis statement" then "write a bibliography" and so on.

2.) https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=ENC-102 English Comp TECEP. $150 for the exam, proctored by ProctorU. Can be taken at home. It's easy to pass, but frustratingly set up. Something about getting a writing prompt on one screen and then having to continue that on another screen or something. If you choose this route, I would suggest looking through the forum to see what people have said about it in the past.

3.) https://iq3prod1.smartcatalogiq.com/Cata...DSST-Exams Principles of Advanced English Composition DSST. May be best for your son if he prefers exams and you have a testing center nearby. I have not taken this myself, but there is apparently no writing whatsoever. It's all multiple-choice questions.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
@EducationSeeker, for the son who hasn't completed any RA credits, I would highly recommend the same as Rachel83Az. Having said that, for the son who has about 30 RA credits already, he can complete the English requirement with ACE providers such as Sophia.org, Study.com, or through CLEP exam through Modern States, etc. It's personal preference...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-17-2022, 11:21 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @EducationSeeker, for the son who hasn't completed any RA credits, I would highly recommend the same as Rachel83Az.  Having said that, for the son who has about 30 RA credits already, he can complete the English requirement with ACE providers such as Sophia.org, Study.com, or through CLEP exam through Modern States, etc.  It's personal preference...

@bjcheung77

Would the reason that my older son who already has 30 Regionally Accredited (RA) credits can take his English Composition 2 on Sophia/Study.com/CLEP as opposed to my younger son because he would have already met the requirement for RA type of credit? What is the requirement for TESU?

Thanks, 

EducationSeeker

(05-17-2022, 01:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For English Comp at TESU, there are 3 "best" options.

1.) https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University College Writing II from ONU has less writing than some other English Comp options. It's self-paced and $150 ($50/credit) no matter whether it takes you 1 month or 5 to complete the course. There are technically multiple writing assignments, but they're all building up to a single final paper. I.E., "write a thesis statement" then "write a bibliography" and so on.

2.) https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=ENC-102 English Comp TECEP. $150 for the exam, proctored by ProctorU. Can be taken at home. It's easy to pass, but frustratingly set up. Something about getting a writing prompt on one screen and then having to continue that on another screen or something. If you choose this route, I would suggest looking through the forum to see what people have said about it in the past.

3.) https://iq3prod1.smartcatalogiq.com/Cata...DSST-Exams Principles of Advanced English Composition DSST. May be best for your son if he prefers exams and you have a testing center nearby. I have not taken this myself, but there is apparently no writing whatsoever. It's all multiple-choice questions.

@rachel83az

Would the ONU class Writing 2 ENGL 210 be the following class https://catalog.olivet.edu/preview_cours...coid=15437? It did not look like this is proctored?

I believe you stated that your TESU BS in Finance took about 15 months? Was this total time or did you complete the degree from the very start (no college credits straight through until graduation) in that amount of time? I realize the amount of time could vary considerably based on the amount of time the individual is motivated, available time compared with other obligations (i.e. work, family). My older son would probably be working 20 hours a week and living at home so he would be a full time student unlike the more non-traditional student with a family and full time job. If he were to complete the classes back to back roughly 2-4 weeks at a time with a 1 week break in between and 30 credits, do you think that 15 months to 2 more years for a completion date would be feasible?

Thanks,

Education Seeker
EducationSeeker Wrote:@bjcheung77

Would the reason that my older son who already has 30 Regionally Accredited (RA) credits can take his English Composition 2 on Sophia/Study.com/CLEP as opposed to my younger son because he would have already met the requirement for RA type of credit? What is the requirement for TESU?

I realize the amount of time could vary considerably based on the amount of time the individual is motivated, available time compared with other obligations (i.e. work, family). My older son would probably be working 20 hours a week and living at home so he would be a full time student unlike the more non-traditional student with a family and full time job. If he were to complete the classes back to back roughly 2-4 weeks at a time with a 1 week break in between and 30 credits, do you think that 15 months to 2 more years for a completion date would be feasible?

Thanks,
Education Seeker

@EducationSeeker, TESU only has 1 major recent change, 30 RA credits.  You can transfer in 114 credits and finish the last 6 credits with them.  However, if you want to "remove" the residency waiver fee, it's an option to complete 16 credits with them.  I highly recommend getting all the alternative credits done and then selecting the final 16 credits for his degree.

The amount of time depends on the person and their commitments, I can see your son complete the degree within the year even while he's working, that's just 12 months or less.  Again, work on the ACE/NCCRS credits towards his degree and finish the last 16 credits (2 terms) with TESU.  Why two terms? I'll get to that next, at the end of this post...  

My suggestion is to get a "spreadsheet template" created specifically for BOTH of your sons, they can work on the exact same courses together.  They can keep each other company, be study buddies, be accountable for their own exams/tests and assignments and have the other cheer them onwards to their next course.  Your sons are young, they can graduate on their own terms and at an affordable price point...

You really want to review the TESU wiki links, my signature has the Degreeforum Wiki, you can review it directly through these links, I would get you to review this link and the sublinks within for each major/AOS, it has all the info you need to plan the degree and create your spreadsheet: Sample TESU General Education Requirements

Now, the reason I suggest two terms and to get the 16 residency credits, is because of this following link, it guides you through getting a BA Computer Science along with a BSBA CIS by taking just a few extra courses and an additional capstone, it's just an example, you can change it to something else, but the benefit is, the cost remains the same as 1 degree if you graduate both at the same time.  TESU BA Computer Science BSBA CIS Double Degree

(05-18-2022, 11:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
EducationSeeker Wrote:@bjcheung77

I realize the amount of time could vary considerably based on the amount of time the individual is motivated, available time compared with other obligations (i.e. work, family). My older son would probably be working 20 hours a week and living at home so he would be a full time student unlike the more non-traditional student with a family and full time job. If he were to complete the classes back to back roughly 2-4 weeks at a time with a 1 week break in between and 30 credits, do you think that 15 months to 2 more years for a completion date would be feasible?

Thanks,
Education Seeker

@EducationSeeker, TESU only has 1 major recent change, 30 RA credits.  You can transfer in 114 credits and finish the last 6 credits with them.  However, if you want to "remove" the residency waiver fee, it's an option to complete 16 credits with them.  I highly recommend getting all the alternative credits done and then selecting the final 16 credits for his degree.

The amount of time depends on the person and their commitments, I can see your son complete the degree within the year even while he's working, that's just 12 months or less.  Again, work on the ACE/NCCRS credits towards his degree and finish the last 16 credits (2 terms) with TESU.  Why two terms? I'll get to that next, at the end of this post...  

My suggestion is to get a "spreadsheet template" created specifically for BOTH of your sons, they can work on the exact same courses together.  They can keep each other company, be study buddies, be accountable for their own exams/tests and assignments and have the other cheer them onwards to their next course.  Your sons are young, they can graduate on their own terms and at an affordable price point...

You really want to review the TESU wiki links, my signature has the Degreeforum Wiki, you can review it directly through these links, I would get you to review this link and the sublinks within for each major/AOS, it has all the info you need to plan the degree and create your spreadsheet: Sample TESU General Education Requirements

Now, the reason I suggest two terms and to get the 16 residency credits, is because of this following link, it guides you through getting a BA Computer Science along with a BSBA CIS by taking just a few extra courses and an additional capstone, it's just an example, you can change it to something else, but the benefit is, the cost remains the same as 1 degree if you graduate both at the same time.  TESU BA Computer Science BSBA CIS Double Degree

@bjcheung77

Sorry to follow up on an older thread, but, regarding my older son, for the recommendation for ACE/NCCRS, do non-proctored classes or exams from these type of providers like Sophia, Saylor, Study.com, ONU exist. Since my older son has about 30 RA credits, I believe you recommended TESU. If he does the Finance or the Business Administration degree at TESU, I think this means that he would need to complete 2 courses...Capstone and one other course at TESU or are there more? What is the format of these courses and are these proctored? Are they mainly papers, how does it work? We are trying to find unproctored course/class provider options and I know they have been mentioned here.

If he were open to just doing Business Administration or even a Bachelor of Liberal Arts/General studies degree with a concentration in something in Economics, are there other cheaper options like UMPI for Business or Liberal Arts/Studies?

He has an interest in real estate and it doesn't seem like the Big 3 or UMPI, SNHU, WGU or less expensive options have an concentration in Real Estate. Since he is also looking at potentially looking at being an entrepreneur by real estate investment and flipping houses, I don't know that  it makes a huge difference that his degree is in Business vs. Finance vs. Bachelor of Liberal Studies. I think getting the degree as a credential and moving on with his life is probably more important at this point although I think a business related field makes sense. Since he is looking at getting the degree cheaply and quickly, I think achieving the Bachelor's degree and moving on is most important.

Thanks,

Education Seeker
Sophia is not video proctored. The only proctoring is via a typing sample taken at the beginning of the milestones. Exams are open book.

LawShelf is not video proctored. They have a voiceprint analysis to confirm that you're you. All exams are open book.

Some Arizona State University Universal Learner (RA credit) courses do not have proctored exams. This can be a relatively inexpenisve way to get non-proctored UL credit for some degrees.

Everything else is proctored. Coopersmith and SL use live proctors. Davar and Study.com use recorded proctors.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(06-21-2022, 10:41 AM)EducationSeeker Wrote: Sorry to follow up on an older thread, but, regarding my older son, for the recommendation for ACE/NCCRS, do non-proctored classes or exams from these type of providers like Sophia, Saylor, Study.com, ONU exist. Since my older son has about 30 RA credits, I believe you recommended TESU. If he does the Finance or the Business Administration degree at TESU, I think this means that he would need to complete 2 courses...Capstone and one other course at TESU or are there more? What is the format of these courses and are these proctored? Are they mainly papers, how does it work? We are trying to find unproctored course/class provider options and I know they have been mentioned here.

If he were open to just doing Business Administration or even a Bachelor of Liberal Arts/General studies degree with a concentration in something in Economics, are there other cheaper options like UMPI for Business or Liberal Arts/Studies?

He has an interest in real estate and it doesn't seem like the Big 3 or UMPI, SNHU, WGU or less expensive options have an concentration in Real Estate. Since he is also looking at potentially looking at being an entrepreneur by real estate investment and flipping houses, I don't know that  it makes a huge difference that his degree is in Business vs. Finance vs. Bachelor of Liberal Studies. I think getting the degree as a credential and moving on with his life is probably more important at this point although I think a business related field makes sense. Since he is looking at getting the degree cheaply and quickly, I think achieving the Bachelor's degree and moving on is most important.

Thanks,

Education Seeker

With an interest in real estate, he doesn't need a concentration in real estate. That's not a super common concentration. A business degree with a concentration in project management, management, accounting, or marketing would serve him well. He'd need skills in all of those areas. 

Sophia is the only ACE provider that doesn't have proctors, but they are adding papers to many of their classes. Many schools also use proctoring.
@EducationSeeker, I would have him apply to TESU and complete his lower level requirements with Sophia.org, his upper level requirements can come from LawShelf and Davar, Saylor.og/Study.com - these require proctoring, but he'll be familiar with the process after one or two exam attempts. The main goal right now is to get him started and continuing on with his journey towards completion, Sophia.org will hit most of those lower level requirements.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 28 329 21 minutes ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 121 7 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 266 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,471 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,847 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 172 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 947 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 558 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 238 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM