Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Financial Accounting clep
So I took Financial Accounting for clep and failed. What I didn't understand is how some of their questions are formatted, for example.

(Asking the question)

1. big toy                                                                    $300
                           small toy                                          $500

2. small toy                                                                 $300
                           big toy                                             $500

Forgive me for not remembering the exact Question, it's been two months, but are the assets on the left and liabilities on the right? Is that the only factor changing?
Part of financial accounting is basic bookkeeping and journal entries. This is too much to explain here, but you are missing some knowledge on the basics there, this isn't a balance (w assets, equity and liabilities) these are journal entries. It's about debit and credit.
Okay thank you, that's what I was asking. Debits are assets and credits are liabilities...correct?
No, that is not correct. How did you study for the CLEP?
I think an online course (SL?) or book like Fundamental accounting principles from Wild ea would help you.
[-] The following 2 users Like lacussucceed's post:
  • BellaZuri, FishNDip
Accounting is the language of business and is important for all business majors. If you plan majoring in accounting or a career in it and have no knowledge it may benefit you to take a course in accounting at a community college.

I personally tried the self study route for accounting and am now enrolled in an in person course.
(03-11-2020, 01:38 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: No, that is not correct. How did you study for the CLEP?
I think an online course (SL?) or book like Fundamental accounting principles from Wild ea would help you.

Okay thank you! I studied with modern states, and I guess I didn't learn much. I'll keep at it then.
(03-11-2020, 01:05 PM)FishNDip Wrote: Okay thank you, that's what I was asking. Debits are assets and credits are liabilities...correct?

That is not correct. Just remember Debits go on the left and Credits go on the right that's all that means. 
Now depending on the type of account that could mean that its increasing on the debit or credit side. The one thing that I've found that depending on the professor they may use different terminology and when you are learning accounting in the beginning it can get confusing. 
To remember whether accounts increase with debits or credits just remember "DEA". Those will be your Dividends, Expense and Asset accounts. The rest are increased with credits. There are also contra accounts that are the opposite of a normal account like Accumulated depreciation. I will stick with learning the regular accounts first then move on to other things. 
I would also check Professor Farhat's youtube channel. He does a good job at explaining things (that's were I got DEA). You can also buy the book that he uses to teach that. I have it and its one of the best books that I've found that explains some of the finer details in better detail. 
Depending on how far you want to get in accounting you could watch his Intermediate Accounting lessons. Its basically Financial Accounting but in more detail. For example you get into actually tracking contracts, interest payable, the time value of money and other things. 
He goes over debits and credits on his Chapter three part 2 video. Nothing crazy just the basics like you would learn on any Financial Accounting class. I think my professor used the same slides.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rustydroid's post:
  • alab21, FishNDip, Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP Scores Change from 20 years to 10 natshar 3 173 5 hours ago
Last Post: cannoda
  CLEP transcript question NOX 3 100 Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can CLEP, SDC, Sophia be considered Education Credit Expenses? bruh 1 124 04-13-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  CLEP Economics marinereef 3 267 04-05-2024, 01:46 PM
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 208 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 531 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 894 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 570 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 734 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 466 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill