Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GI Bill news
GI Bill payment delays are frustrating vets
Over half of vets still waiting for GI Bill money
VA working to resolve GI bill issues
Less than half of new GI Bill claims processed

So there's where we're at. These delays are apparently affecting all GI Bill claims, not just for the new one. Don't ask me why, I don't get that. Only reason I know this is because I applied for the old MGIB on July 7th, and I'm still waiting for my eligibility letter. This is bullsh*t.

The VA GI Bill hotline is 1-888-GIBILL-1, if you didn't know. I didn't. Not that it does me any good now, since my claim isn't on file (somehow) with their automated system, which prompts them to HANG UP on me instead of putting me on hold. The only way for me to get through to these people is to call them when they have an operator free, which should be sometime around the 7th of never. I'm going to try calling them tomorrow morning (0700 central time) right when the lines open and see if that works, but I'm not getting excited about my chances.

Good luck to all those like me who are waiting on the VA, and hope you have a nice emergency nest egg to ride this out.
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
I saw this article yesterday which should be some good news to those awaiting Chapter 33 benefits:

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

Janus, one thing I've been doing since 2006 with my chapter 30 benefits is taking out short term student loans. The chapter 30 GI bill always pays you in arrears, so I would take out the loans, and then pay them off as my GI bill payments came in. I don't know if doing something like that would help you out. I also have a friend who does the same thing, just with a credit card. I prefer the student loan method because you can usually pay them off before any interest accrues. Good luck!
M.S. University of Wisconsin-Platteville In Progress
M.S. University of Maryland University College 2011
B.S. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale 2008

CLEP's passed:
College Mathematics
English Composition (w/o essay)
Information Systems and Computer Applications
Natural Sciences
Social Sciences and History

DSST's passed:
Ethics in America

General Anthropology
I'm just wondering how the process is going for dependents who have had benefits transferred to them.
tmporter68 Wrote:I'm just wondering how the process is going for dependents who have had benefits transferred to them.

Most likely the same kind of wait, if not longer.

So this morning I discovered two things. 1) There is an option to speak to a case manager without punching in all your info at the beginning of the menu. I missed it before; when I heard "to repeat the menu, press *" I figured that was the end of the options, but no. And at 7:01 Central time, all operators were busy (figures) but following this route they put me on hold this time. Luckily only for a few minutes.

More importantly, 2) It appears that the Buffalo regional office is not sitting on their hands or had dropped my claim file between some crack or another. They are simply overloaded, he told me, to the point where claims are taking 12 or more weeks to process. I'm not sure if he told me 12 only because it was 2 more weeks than the 10 I told him I've waited already; it wouldn't surprise me though. To their credit, the guy I talked to seemed far less anxious than I thought he would be to reach through the phone and pull my face off for bothering him with yet another claim status check. I surmise it was not so much patience on his part, but that he was simply dead inside by then. Rolleyes

So back to waiting now. *twiddles thumbs*
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Bill Hacking? spohara 8 2,420 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Last Post: joejoe2482
  9/11 GI BILL QUESTION smf6824 5 2,022 03-10-2022, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
  GI Bill for independent and distance learning options BBryant165 1 1,356 08-20-2020, 12:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time Life Long Learning 6 1,884 02-21-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: jadae@wgu.edu
  GI Bill Dilemma Leherself 9 3,097 01-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Leherself
  Using the Post 9/11 GI Bill - webinar Life Long Learning 0 1,222 01-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams Leherself 9 3,656 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  A word of caution if using Post 9/11 GI Bill Prloko 9 2,652 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  GI Bill or VRAP Transfers? SweetSecret 1 1,105 08-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Last Post: lawqueen04
  Gi bill certificate of eligibility superpotsky 2 1,038 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Last Post: dposborne