Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
onlinedegree.com Courses
Unless something has changed, they also don't accept non-US students.

give it a try though, you might enjoy them. you don't have to pay until unless you decided to take the proctored exam. so see if you like it and if so, cheap credit!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-09-2019, 01:45 PM)natshar Wrote: They don't tell you what you got wrong and some which is difficult especially considering some of the questions are worded funny. You can't skip over videos talking about stuff you already know which is especially true the first few lectures starting with the basics.
ACE is better in the fact that you have a transcript whereas this you don't.

You have a good point, I went to the Introduction to programming course and i did not pass it. I score a 68, for 2 points I did not pass. and i know that this was my fault i took 3 month on this course be cause i have to watch hours of videos each module has 5 long videos approx. 15 min to 45 min each video and the has almost 24 modules i cant not skip a video also when I do the exercises i cant review my faulty answers to see my weakness this is disappointed i will never know what i did wrong to learn from my errors.
Now i asked them to retake the exam and they said i have to wait 3 months to retake the exam, in 3 month i will not remember nothing  in a case that I can not review my faulty answer I will keep doing it wrong because in my head I understand something in my own way not way it should be.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(09-09-2019, 12:25 PM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote: Hello all!

I've been looking at taking some of the courses at onlinedegree.  I'm curious as to why more people here don't take the courses considering you can get 44 credits for $135. Am I missing something?

https://www.onlinedegree.com/wp-content/...apping.pdf

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea

Sorry for jumping in on this late, but couldn't resist putting in my 2¢. I am taking the biology course on OnlineDegree, and while it's better than nothing, here are the things that I don't like (some also mentioned elsewhere):

1. You can't review which quiz questions you got wrong, so you don't know what you need to focus on in your studies (already mentioned)
2. Quiz questions are not only worded poorly; some make no sense at all. They are missing verbs or other important grammatical features that students need to understand an English sentence. It's hard to pick the right answer when a question doesn't make sense.
3. Some of the quiz questions are "pick the true statement," and then two true statements will be listed—one that was covered in the lecture, one that was not. So you have to remember which fact was discussed in the lecture.
4. The biology curriculum includes a religion-based video that misrepresents the theory of evolution by natural selection, as well as the ways in which evolutionary biologists figure out the evolutionary histories of organisms. I have no idea how it got in there, and am grateful I already have a science background or I may have not spotted it. (I complained to OnlineDegree; hopefully it's been removed.)
5. If I pause in a video and come back to finish later, OnlineDegree loses track of the fact I already watched a bunch of it, and I have to start the video again from the beginning just to be able to "Mark Complete" and move on to the next lesson.

Things I do like:
1. The main lectures are informative and help clarify some of the things in the textbook, or show a broader picture.
2. The textbook readings have been good (they are from OpenStax Biology, which you can get for free as an ebook or read online).

If you are just looking for a cheap credit, it's okay, but might be more time-consuming since you can't skip or speedplay videos. If you are looking to really understand the subject, it's good if you focus on the main lectures and the reading assignments (all of which are optional, by the way), but some of the short videos and the quizzes themselves can detract from learning. At least that's what I found for biology.

I haven't done StraighterLine or Study.com yet, so I can't compare. The courses I've done on Saylor (for credit) and on Kahn Academy (not for credit) are better quality that OnlineDegree.

I will probably take a few more courses on OnlineDegree because they are free, but since they wouldn't count toward my major (I'm doing science and my courses need labs) and I don't need the general education credits, I am mostly using it for personal interest or to get background before starting harder courses.

(09-11-2019, 09:23 PM)gams007 Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 01:45 PM)natshar Wrote: They don't tell you what you got wrong and some which is difficult especially considering some of the questions are worded funny. You can't skip over videos talking about stuff you already know which is especially true the first few lectures starting with the basics.

You have a good point, I went to the Introduction to programming course and i did not pass it. I score a 68, for 2 points I did not pass. and i know that this was my fault i took 3 month on this course be cause i have to watch hours of videos each module has 5 long videos approx. 15 min to 45 min each video and the has almost 24 modules i cant not skip a video also when I do the exercises i cant review my faulty answers to see my weakness this is disappointed i will never know what i did wrong to learn from my errors.
Now i asked them to retake the exam and they said i have to wait 3 months to retake the exam, in 3 month i will not remember nothing  in a case that I can not review my faulty answer I will keep doing it wrong because in my head I understand something in my own way not way it should be.

If you are looking to learn programming vs. just get a credit, I would look at Saylor, Coursera, and EdX for free courses. They have a lot of good options, and Saylor and EdX give quiz feedback (Coursera varies). I've also heard good things about https://www.freecodecamp.org/. Doing one of those courses in the three months wait period could help prepare you to do better in the next exam.
(09-19-2019, 02:36 PM)wow Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 12:25 PM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote: Hello all!

I've been looking at taking some of the courses at onlinedegree.  I'm curious as to why more people here don't take the courses considering you can get 44 credits for $135.  Am I missing something?

https://www.onlinedegree.com/wp-content/...apping.pdf

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea

Sorry for jumping in on this late, but couldn't resist putting in my 2¢. I am taking the biology course on OnlineDegree, and while it's better than nothing, here are the things that I don't like (some also mentioned elsewhere):

1. You can't review which quiz questions you got wrong, so you don't know what you need to focus on in your studies (already mentioned)
2. Quiz questions are not only worded poorly; some make no sense at all. They are missing verbs or other important grammatical features that students need to understand an English sentence. It's hard to pick the right answer when a question doesn't make sense.
3. Some of the quiz questions are "pick the true statement," and then two true statements will be listed—one that was covered in the lecture, one that was not. So you have to remember which fact was discussed in the lecture.
4. The biology curriculum includes a religion-based video that misrepresents the theory of evolution by natural selection, as well as the ways in which evolutionary biologists figure out the evolutionary histories of organisms. I have no idea how it got in there, and am grateful I already have a science background or I may have not spotted it. (I complained to OnlineDegree; hopefully it's been removed.)
5. If I pause in a video and come back to finish later, OnlineDegree loses track of the fact I already watched a bunch of it, and I have to start the video again from the beginning just to be able to "Mark Complete" and move on to the next lesson.

Things I do like:
1. The main lectures are informative and help clarify some of the things in the textbook, or show a broader picture.
2. The textbook readings have been good (they are from OpenStax Biology, which you can get for free as an ebook or read online).

If you are just looking for a cheap credit, it's okay, but might be more time-consuming since you can't skip or speedplay videos. If you are looking to really understand the subject, it's good if you focus on the main lectures and the reading assignments (all of which are optional, by the way), but some of the short videos and the quizzes themselves can detract from learning. At least that's what I found for biology.

I haven't done StraighterLine or Study.com yet, so I can't compare. The courses I've done on Saylor (for credit) and on Kahn Academy (not for credit) are better quality that OnlineDegree.

I will probably take a few more courses on OnlineDegree because they are free, but since they wouldn't count toward my major (I'm doing science and my courses need labs) and I don't need the general education credits, I am mostly using it for personal interest or to get background before starting harder courses.

(09-11-2019, 09:23 PM)gams007 Wrote:

If you are looking to learn programming vs. just get a credit, I would look at Saylor, Coursera, and EdX for free courses. They have a lot of good options, and Saylor and EdX give quiz feedback (Coursera varies). I've also heard good things about https://www.freecodecamp.org/. Doing one of those courses in the three months wait period could help prepare you to do better in the next exam.

As with any of these credit providers, you gotta learn how to work the system to speed up the process.

1.  The 1st video each lesson is usually the main video, others don't matter much.  Watch all vids 2x speed and take notes!!!

2.  Quizzes are open book and follow the vids pretty closely.  Try hard to average 80% on all quizzes.   Print and save each quiz to review later.

3.  Study for final by reviewing notes, quizzes and any suggested links they give you each lesson. 1-2hr

If you average 80% on quizzes, you only need 51% on the final to pass and with some questions being true/false questions it's almost impossible to fail.

I average 1 hour or less for each lesson.  I find the videos are interesting enough to watch that I can get through a course in 2-3 days without too much stress.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • JWells247, MrsBulletPoints
(10-01-2019, 07:16 PM)LevelUP Wrote: As with any of these credit providers, you gotta learn how to work the system to speed up the process.

1.  The 1st video each lesson is usually the main video, others don't matter much.  Watch all vids 2x speed and take notes!!!

2.  Quizzes are open book and follow the vids pretty closely.  Try hard to average 80% on all quizzes.   Print and save each quiz to review later.

3.  Study for final by reviewing notes, quizzes and any suggested links they give you each lesson. 1-2hr

If you average 80% on quizzes, you only need 51% on the final to pass and with some questions being true/false questions it's almost impossible to fail.

I average 1 hour or less for each lesson.  I find the videos are interesting enough to watch that I can get through a course in 2-3 days without too much stress.

#1 isn't applicable because they don't allow you to adjust the speed on the videos.
#2, they actually don't make it clear on the site whether the quizzes are open or closed book. But even open-book, the quizzes are set up so that you will get things wrong because they are written so poorly. Printing the quiz is a good idea; it's possible sometimes with OnlineDegree, but a lot of the time in quizzes they use JavaScript or some other language that makes it so the screen can't be printed out. Guess you could take a screenshot.
#3, OnlineDegree blocks the quizzes after you take them, so you can't see what they asked, what you answered, or what you got wrong. But you can at least review your notes.

I'm not saying any of this to be whiny, just to reiterate likely reasons that people haven't flocked to OnlineDegree from other providers, even though it's cheaper.
(10-02-2019, 11:33 AM)wow Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 07:16 PM)LevelUP Wrote: As with any of these credit providers, you gotta learn how to work the system to speed up the process.

#1 isn't applicable because they don't allow you to adjust the speed on the videos.
#2, they actually don't make it clear on the site whether the quizzes are open or closed book. But even open-book, the quizzes are set up so that you will get things wrong because they are written so poorly. Printing the quiz is a good idea; it's possible sometimes with OnlineDegree, but a lot of the time in quizzes they use JavaScript or some other language that makes it so the screen can't be printed out. Guess you could take a screenshot.
#3, OnlineDegree blocks the quizzes after you take them, so you can't see what they asked, what you answered, or what you got wrong. But you can at least review your notes.

I'm not saying any of this to be whiny, just to reiterate likely reasons that people haven't flocked to OnlineDegree from other providers, even though it's cheaper.

Re: #1

When I took an OD course I asked about this, and someone on here (I think it was JSD, or maybe Merlin) recommended a Chrome extension, Video Speed Controller, that let me adjust the video speed. I watch EVERYTHING on 2-2.2 speed now. Of course, it doesn't help you get past their timer restriction (I see an easy way around that in the webpage code, but I don't really feel like that would be ethical), but I would often just watch the video on double speed, then work on something else while waiting for the timer to catch up so I could move on.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I notice COSC is not one of their partners advertised. Has anyone had experience bringing in credits from ODC to COSC?

Kathy
(10-02-2019, 11:33 AM)wow Wrote:

#1 You can use chrome plugin "Video Speed Controller" to adjust speed on non-youtube vids.  Youtube does allow you to adjust speed and you can watch youtube videos in another tab if you want.

#2 The quizzes are not proctored and it is super important to get quiz questions right because they won't tell you what you got wrong.  You don't want to study the wrong quiz answers in studying for the final.  Quizzes make up 50% of your grade. 

I agree some quiz questions can be hard and confusing, but it isn't hard to average 80% on quizzes.

#3 Print quizzes via pdf or print-screen works with last resort of using a camera.  The final exam follows the quizzes pretty closely so printing makes the final easy. 

Comparing Onlinedegree to CLEP/DSST for earning credits I would say they both can take a similar amount of time though Onlinedegree has easier grading system and for me easier to get through the course.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • MrsBulletPoints
Anyone know if Onlindegree emails official transcripts to schools or do they need to be mailed?

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BABA, New England College, 2019
(10-23-2019, 02:16 PM)harrypotter Wrote: Anyone know if Onlindegree emails official transcripts to schools or do they need to be mailed?

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

you'd have to get an ACE transcript 
http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?page=transcripts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 376 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,650 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,793 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,391 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 546 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,805 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 537 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 307 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 671 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat