Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
please help me finish my tesu or exc degree plan
The only free options at TEEX are the Cybersecurity ones. Everything else costs money. The next cheapest option for LL credit, assuming you're in the US, is OnlineDegree. Saylor is potentially free, but Saylor is a bit iffy right now because they definitely don't seem to be transitioning over to the new system right now. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit But Intro to CS at Saylor is NCCRS and not ACE so that would be the only one right now that's "safe".
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-15-2020, 10:23 PM)person8612 Wrote: FWIW, COSC's RA credit requirement doesn't necessarily need to be fulfilled via classes. TECEP and UExcel exams are also considered to be RA credit sources. This would potentially add a few hundred dollars worth of expenses (though you may end up saving money given COSC's lower overall costs) and require travel for proctoring, but it does potentially expand your options.

Are we 100% certain on this?  I have not heard from anyone here yet that they brought either of those 2 in as RA.  I would check prior to counting on this.

(11-16-2020, 12:10 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Human Bio at Sophia is BIO-101 while bio w/ lab is BIO-113. It's Intro biology WITHOUT lab at SDC that's BIO-101 and will duplicate. If you are in the US and actually want to take another bio because you like biology, head over to OnlineDegree.com and take "Organisms and Ecosystems" for $9. That comes in as BIO-105. Excelsior also accepts OnlineDegree's bio course but they don't give an equivalency for it.

I'm going to guess that TESU is going to be a pain about this, and say that these duplicate, even though the course numbers are different.  Just a guess, but I certainly wouldn't pay $40 for the lab, only to find out that you didn't need it, and that they consider it a duplicate course (if they do).  Not a chance I'm willing to take.

Your costs at TESU will be $6654 for 6cr plus whatever it will cost to take your remaining courses through the outside providers.

Your costs at EC will be $$5300 for 7cr plus whatever it will cost for outside providers. If you want to take 2 additional courses at EC, then your costs will be $5850.

Also, at EC, since you've already taken (or are planning on taking) 5 business courses, you could take 2 UL business courses (easy to find) and get your AOF in Business. Then, you'd just need 5 UL courses (assuming the World Religion and MIS DSST's are LL). If they're UL, then you just need 3 UL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-16-2020, 07:18 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The personal finance DSST and Sophia's Principles of Finance do not duplicate one another at TESU. You're good there. Unfortunately, DSST MIS does not come in as UL credit. It's a 200-level.

Although cost and ease of transferring credits seem to be unrelated, they are really one and the same thing. For instance, Excelsior accepts many fewer classes in transfer than TESU does and you could wind up having to take some courses from them. COSC also doesn't accept as many sources, plus they have the RA requirement, again driving costs up. Because of these issues, they're all roughly in the same ballpark as one another as far as anticipated costs go. Because of this, TESU is almost certainly going to be the best choice for you here.

The wiki has a list of Sophia equivalencies. The DSST list for TESU can be found at https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/dsst Definitely do as suggested and complete everything at Sophia that doesn't duplicate what you've already done. Unless it was specifically managerial accounting, Sophia's Accounting would probably duplicate what you've taken previously.

Good news about personal finance vs principles of finance.  

After I wrote my initial post, I realize the relationship between the cost and ease of transfer were virtually the same thing.  You did a great job bringing cohesion to it in a concise manner.

I'm planning to take all the classes at Sophia that shouldn't duplicate and ask an advisor about the remaining options.  Since ACE is forcing us to make a choice quickly, it appears it won't be too long before speaking with an advisor and getting a more solid degree plan.
(11-16-2020, 04:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 10:23 PM)person8612 Wrote: FWIW, COSC's RA credit requirement doesn't necessarily need to be fulfilled via classes. TECEP and UExcel exams are also considered to be RA credit sources. This would potentially add a few hundred dollars worth of expenses (though you may end up saving money given COSC's lower overall costs) and require travel for proctoring, but it does potentially expand your options.

Are we 100% certain on this?  I have not heard from anyone here yet that they brought either of those 2 in as RA.  I would check prior to counting on this.

agreeing it's not 100% sure until someone has the transcript experience
But it is worded on COSC's site that was linked that it counts if the exam gives a C or higher.  from the link person 8612 shared... "Charter Oak State college will accept standardized examinations offered by regionally accredited institutions (TECEP, UEXCEL, NYU language Exams) with a grade of C or higher"
That sentence is in the section grouped with the RA transfer and not with things like clep, etc that have the 90 credit limit.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

There are a handful of very reasonably priced CJ courses at TEEX that are subsidized by various law enforcement organizations.

For example, Basic Property Technician is $45 for three LL credits.  FWIW, I found it fun and engaging, it integrates some video-game-like elements where you interact with other characters.

Death Investigation Online is an excellent value at $75 for 3 UL credits, and a very solid offering with plenty of up-to-date course materials.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 62 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 157 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 136 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 74 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 68 04-23-2024, 11:36 AM
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,720 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 195 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,551 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 577 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 121 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM