Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
psychology or liberal arts degree at cosc
I was wondering if anyone could help me answer some questions ....Is it possible to complete a psychology or liberal arts degree at cosc through only study.com for upper level courses? Or what degree is possible because cost is a huge factor for me.... im doing ASU classes for 24 RA credit and Sophia courses for free. I will need to choose something to know what classes to take beyond the basic gen eds. THe other option I am looking at is Northern Arizona University competency based liberal arts degree. They only accept 2 Sophia courses that I can see, but they accept some SL courses and I would get some Cleps ( when in US) hopefully using Modern states for free. I think you can only transfer in 64 credits for the competency based degree. So could I finish in 6 months? I could do it full time. But still risky. (WGU isn't an option as I'm living in Mexico) If I plan to get a masters later how does that play into things? Is it a problem having almost all alternative credit providers (Therefore only grades for cornerstone and capstone right?) transferred if I go with COSC or if I go the competency based route with NAU? Is that frowned upon when trying to obtain my masters degree? I know lots of questions ... Sorry, but does anyone know where I could get a speech language pathology masters degree online as cheap as possible? Also, does anyone know where I can get credit for speaking Spanish as upper Level credit ? Looking at other route of becoming a Spanish teacher or bilingual speech language pathologist. Or I skip the idea of getting a masters degree and essentially check the box by having a bachelors degree for use somewhere in the workplace. Thanks!!!!
I think you can get a BALS at COSC using just Study.com. I don't know about Psychology but I think that it's probably easier to get at TESU than at COSC.
(07-05-2020, 02:58 PM)Pathfinder Wrote: I was wondering if anyone could help me answer some questions ....Is it possible to complete a psychology or liberal arts degree at cosc through only study.com for upper level courses?  Or what degree is possible because cost is a huge factor for me.... im doing ASU classes for 24 RA credit and Sophia courses for free.  I will need to choose something to know what classes to take beyond the basic gen eds.    THe other option I am looking at is Northern Arizona University competency based liberal arts degree.  They only accept 2 Sophia courses that I can see, but they accept some SL courses and I would get some Cleps ( when in US) hopefully using Modern states for free.  I think you can only transfer in 64 credits for the competency based degree.  So could I finish in 6 months?  I could do it full time.  But still risky.  (WGU isn't an option as I'm living in Mexico) If I plan to get a masters later how does that play into things?   Is it a problem having almost all alternative credit providers (Therefore only grades for cornerstone and capstone right?) transferred if I go with COSC or if I go the competency based route with NAU?  Is that frowned upon when trying to obtain my masters degree?   I know lots of questions ... Sorry, but does anyone know where I could get a speech language pathology masters degree online as cheap as possible?  Also, does anyone know where I can get credit for speaking Spanish as upper Level credit ?   Looking at other route of becoming a Spanish teacher  or bilingual speech language pathologist.  Or I skip the idea of getting a masters degree and essentially check the box by having a bachelors degree for use somewhere in the workplace.  Thanks!!!!

A 2-year Speech-Language Pathologist master's degree is in high demand.  If you add Spanish to that, you will be set.

See American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) at https://www.asha.org/
They do have programs with part-time and online degrees.  Check the website for links to find out the costs.

Teaching is a thankless job.  Be aware that since the late 1990s the stats indicate that the average entry-level teacher lasts about 5 years and then changes professions.  This is partly due to badly behaved kids, awful parents, too much bureaucratic crap, and of course poor pay.  

If you do an undergraduate Psychology degree, be sure to add and become proficient with behavioral science statistics and tests & measurements.  You will need at least a Master's in counseling or a Ph.D. or PsyD to make any money in Psychology.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlueRidgeMtns's post:
  • Dumber, ss20ts
I'm currently doing a BS at COSC in Psych and I believe you can do the whole thing with Study.com except for Statistics for the Social Sciences. They won't take regular Statistics for that so I had to take it from COSC directly.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • Dumber, SteveFoerster
(09-27-2020, 05:52 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I'm currently doing a BS at COSC in Psych and I believe you can do the whole thing with Study.com except for Statistics for the Social Sciences. They won't take regular Statistics for that so I had to take it from COSC directly.

What upper level courses from Study.com are you using for the cosc psychology degree?
I'd have to go back and look to be sure but I think it's Psych 301, 306, 310, 312, & 316. I'm doing the social/behavioral concentration

I'm not sure if Research and Methods from Study.com comes in as UL at COSC. If it doesn't there's a Uexcel by the same name that does, I think.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • Dumber, SteveFoerster
Thanks for the good advice!!

So you were able to fulfill all the BS in psychology degree requirements of 36 or so credits at COSC through Study.com for upper and lower level specific classes other than Statistics and Research Methods?    What classes did you substitute to match up with the listed courses required from COSC?  Thanks!
(09-27-2020, 05:52 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I'm currently doing a BS at COSC in Psych and I believe you can do the whole thing with Study.com except for Statistics for the Social Sciences. They won't take regular Statistics for that so I had to take it from COSC directly.

My youngest is interested in doing their BS in Psychology, so if you have a worksheet or anything that shows which courses you are applying to which requirements, I'd be very keen to see it!
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
I haven't transferred them all in yet so I guess let me do that and I will get you guys a detailed breakdown. COSC's Psych degree requires you to pick a concentration too, so I could only provide info for my specific concentration which is Social/Behavioral and you need 15 credits in that concentration. So far I know that Study.com's Psych 104, 107, 306, 310, and 316 come in just fine. And of course you need Intro to Psych and Statistics and all that. I'll transfer a few more in and let you guys know. I'm working on a gunsmithing course too right now so my time is sort of split but I'll get to it and post it here.

Btw there's a TECEP on Psychology of Women that fulfills it as well, if that interests you

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • SteveFoerster
(07-05-2020, 02:58 PM)Pathfinder Wrote: I was wondering if anyone could help me answer some questions ....Is it possible to complete a psychology or liberal arts degree at cosc through only study.com for upper level courses?  Or what degree is possible because cost is a huge factor for me.... im doing ASU classes for 24 RA credit and Sophia courses for free.  I will need to choose something to know what classes to take beyond the basic gen eds.    THe other option I am looking at is Northern Arizona University competency based liberal arts degree.  They only accept 2 Sophia courses that I can see, but they accept some SL courses and I would get some Cleps ( when in US) hopefully using Modern states for free.  I think you can only transfer in 64 credits for the competency based degree.  So could I finish in 6 months?  I could do it full time.  But still risky.  (WGU isn't an option as I'm living in Mexico) If I plan to get a masters later how does that play into things?   Is it a problem having almost all alternative credit providers (Therefore only grades for cornerstone and capstone right?) transferred if I go with COSC or if I go the competency based route with NAU?  Is that frowned upon when trying to obtain my masters degree?   I know lots of questions ... Sorry, but does anyone know where I could get a speech language pathology masters degree online as cheap as possible?  Also, does anyone know where I can get credit for speaking Spanish as upper Level credit ?   Looking at other route of becoming a Spanish teacher  or bilingual speech language pathologist.  Or I skip the idea of getting a masters degree and essentially check the box by having a bachelors degree for use somewhere in the workplace.  Thanks!!!!

Walden University has 2 psychology programs that are competency based (Tempo) program, you can complete it between 6 months - 1 year. Check it out.

You pay by the term - 3 months.
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 5 107 4 hours ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 596 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,235 04-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,950 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 212 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,177 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,309 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 487 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 174 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 931 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM