Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which is best degree by examination BSBA Int Business, CIS, Gen Management
(08-12-2020, 05:07 PM)Osediu Wrote: Am I better off going to some other school over TESU? or is there really no advantage? their residency waiver fee for 2020-2021 is basically $3200 unless you spend more getting 16 credits through them so I guess not horrible.
Will ALL the credits from sophia transfer? I keep seeing peoples signatures on here say that some of their sophia credits didn't transfer (ex: sophia-10 out of 19 transfered) am I misunderstanding? also completing every class on sophia except 2(I think i counted correctly taking the 2 out that you mentioned above) that would put me around 82 credits that sounds kind of high, is this correct? 
Im also open for alternatives if you guys are seeing something that I am not.
Should I go through and make a spreadsheat of everything I need for the chosen degree before actually moving forward?
Could I get an associates with my bachelors(to kill 2 birds with 1 stone) fairly easy going this route or no? or completely depends on the degree chosen?

TESU is going to be the cheapest/easiest option for most people unless all you want is a BALS (liberal studies/liberal arts degree). They have more degrees available than Charter Oak or Excelsior and (in general) accept more ACE credits. Charter Oak limits you to bringing in 90 ACE credits from a small handful of providers; you can bring in 24 credits from a regionally accredited college or university but this generally costs more than the waiver at TESU would. Excelsior is not quite as restrictive as Charter Oak is but they do not (for instance) accept ANY computer science courses from Study.com. You might be able to bring in a computer course from StraighterLine but I'm not sure. This means you'd have to take more classes with them, bringing the cost up further.

All of Sophia transfers to TESU except the Foundations courses and College Readiness (a total of 4 courses). They may not go where they were expected to go, but they will still transfer in as of right now. That is exactly 80 credits as of right now (I just went and added everything up to be sure). The exception is people who are going for a Liberal Studies degree. For those people, TESU does not allow business credits to be used in the area of study (I think they may still be able to go into the electives, though) and there is a limit of how many 100-level courses can be used in the area of study. Since all of the degrees that you are interested in are business degrees, this does not apply to you. You may transfer in every single Sophia credit that TESU accepts.  I am not sure what the signatures you're seeing mean; it could be that they only need 19 Sohpia courses to complete their degree and they've done 10 of those so far. A lot of people with signatures would have been at least partly done with their degrees when the Sophia limited-time free offer came up, meaning that they wouldn't have needed (for instance) English Composition and there'd have been no reason for them to take Sophia's version.

A spreadsheet is helpful for figuring out what you need to take, yes. Especially if you are going to opt for multiple degrees. For instance, you could get both a CIS degree and a general management degree at the same time and TESU would only count that as one degree with two majors. You could not, however, get a CIS degree and, say, a history degree under one degree; those would count as two different degrees with TESU because they are different types of degrees from different "schools" within TESU ("School of Business and Management" and "Heavin School of Arts and Sciences").

If you want an associate's degree with your bachelor's, you can do that. However, there are only 3 that are recommended: business administration, mathematics, computer science. The others all require a capstone course taken from TESU, raising their cost significantly. Business administration and computer science would be the easiest ones to get with the bachelor's degrees that you're interested in pursuing. Technically, yes, you could get a generic AA degree from TESU but that doesn't really make sense unless it's purely for your own satisfaction. In order to avoid paying extra waivers and graduation fees for your associate's degree, you'd need to apply for graduation with both your associate's and your bachelor's degrees at the same time. The residency waiver fee is only good for 12 months after you pay it, so you only want to pay it right before actual graduation.

If you need an associate's degree ASAP for work, there is another option from another school (not TESU) that would cost you less than $1000 right now. A generic Pierpont associate's degree can be had for "free" but you need to have 12 credits from a regionally accredited school. Those 12 credits, if you start right now, can be had from Arizona State University for $396. Unless you need a transcript from Pierpont (which you probably don't, unless your job requires it for some strange reason), that $400 + Sophia costs would be all that you'd pay for an associate's degree.
With TESU the BSBA-GM is easiest to get AOS UL credits for; as it has the most options.  The BSBA-CIS is also an option, less choices for AOS courses but very doable through the test out method. So GM or CIS is a choice of what fits best for you; its a personal choice and the diploma will read the same either way. Don't apply to TESU now with no credits, the advisors don't assist you with test out alternative paths - that is what this forum is for (this applies to all the Big 3, and WGU for that matter).  Also, with the timeline your working with the current catalog is it, so there is no urgently to lock it in (as the latest catalog went into effect last month - July) - wait until you have a plan and some credits to apply.

If you're in the US you may want to look into testing out as many course you can and then transfer into WGU for the balance (this could be for one of their business degrees or technology programs - depending what fits your existing knowledge). This could be done just as quickly and if you have tuition assistance from your employer, or are eligible for a Pell Grant, then WGU could very well be your lowest cost option as well.

If you want help with a specific school/program I suggest you start a thread with the information in the topic to attract the attention of those who know the most about that school/program. Currently a year is about the minimum when starting with zero credits, but is doable if you have the time and money to dedicate to getting it done.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 3 80 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 16 174 6 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 255 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,844 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 555 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 410 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 284 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer