Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions on Study.com
TESU requires that all Study.com courses be sent directly to them, rather than on an ACE transcript. You should still put the courses on ACE though.

TESU requires MAT-119 or MAT-121 for the Quantitative Literacy requirement. You can take the College Algebra CLEP exam, but if you want to use Study.com, then you're going to need to take MAT 105: Precalculus Algebra or MAT 107: Quantitative Literacy in order for them to accept it there. If you need to brush up on math, you an always take MAT 102: College Mathematics (MAT-102) and then MAT 101: College Algebra (MAT-115) first. But I personally would recommend that you start with Khan Academy first, since it's free, and work your way through that before taking math when you're paying by the month.

Also, MAT 102: College Mathematics and MAT 101: College Algebra have placement tests, so assuming you took a couple months to do KA for math, you could then start study.com, take those placement tests, then do College Math, then College Algebra (no proctored finals so no cost) and then you'd be pretty far along in Precalc Algebra and could finish pretty quickly. If you wanted additional credit for the earlier math courses, you could take the finals, and use the credits in GE Electives if you have space for them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-18-2019, 08:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU requires that all Study.com courses be sent directly to them, rather than on an ACE transcript.  You should still put the courses on ACE though.

TESU requires MAT-119 or MAT-121 for the Quantitative Literacy requirement.  You can take the College Algebra CLEP exam, but if you want to use Study.com, then you're going to need to take MAT 105: Precalculus Algebra or MAT 107: Quantitative Literacy in order for them to accept it there.  If you need to brush up on math, you an always take MAT 102: College Mathematics (MAT-102) and then MAT 101: College Algebra (MAT-115) first.  But I personally would recommend that you start with Khan Academy first, since it's free, and work your way through that before taking math when you're paying by the month.

Also, MAT 102: College Mathematics and MAT 101: College Algebra have placement tests, so assuming you took a couple months to do KA for math, you could then start study.com, take those placement tests, then do College Math, then College Algebra (no proctored finals so no cost) and then you'd be pretty far along in Precalc Algebra and could finish pretty quickly.  If you wanted additional credit for the earlier math courses, you could take the finals, and use the credits in GE Electives if you have space for them.

Hmmm, Thanks for the reply. Smile

By doing math on study.com (for them to accept it there) I will have to take PreCalculus? I'm not the greatest at math, and I struggle sometimes just for algebra, so it might be best if I avoid all the math courses on study.com! Plus Modern States offers a free Algebra course, and if I took it on study.com I'd have to pay for all those classes! So thanks for the advice. Now I know why it says (Study.com's Precalc) on my spreadsheet.   Big Grin
(03-18-2019, 08:58 PM)FishNDip Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 08:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU requires that all Study.com courses be sent directly to them, rather than on an ACE transcript.  You should still put the courses on ACE though.

TESU requires MAT-119 or MAT-121 for the Quantitative Literacy requirement.  You can take the College Algebra CLEP exam, but if you want to use Study.com, then you're going to need to take MAT 105: Precalculus Algebra or MAT 107: Quantitative Literacy in order for them to accept it there.  If you need to brush up on math, you an always take MAT 102: College Mathematics (MAT-102) and then MAT 101: College Algebra (MAT-115) first.  But I personally would recommend that you start with Khan Academy first, since it's free, and work your way through that before taking math when you're paying by the month.

Also, MAT 102: College Mathematics and MAT 101: College Algebra have placement tests, so assuming you took a couple months to do KA for math, you could then start study.com, take those placement tests, then do College Math, then College Algebra (no proctored finals so no cost) and then you'd be pretty far along in Precalc Algebra and could finish pretty quickly.  If you wanted additional credit for the earlier math courses, you could take the finals, and use the credits in GE Electives if you have space for them.

By doing math on study.com (for them to accept it there) I will have to take PreCalculus? I'm not the greatest at math, and I struggle sometimes just for algebra, so it might be best if I avoid all the math courses on study.com! Plus Modern States offers a free Algebra course, and if I took it on study.com I'd have to pay for all those classes! So thanks for the advice. Now I know why it says (Study.com's Precalc) on my spreadsheet.   Big Grin

No, you don't need to take Precalculus at Study.com, if you need College Algebra you need to take Math 105 (Precalculus Algebra) which, despite having Precalculus in the name, is not a Precalculus class. Math 105 transfers to TESU as College Algebra.

This is confusing since Study.com has a College Algebra course (Math 101), but it doesn't meet the requirements to be a College Algebra course at TESU (and I'd imagine other schools as well) because isn't rigorous enough. Math 101 comes into TESU as Intermediate Algebra instead.

Personally, I think SDC should rename its Math 101 course to be Intermediate Algebra and rename Math 105 to College Algebra, but that is just me. Plus there may be other colleges that will accept Math 101 as College Algebra.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon
(03-18-2019, 09:15 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 08:58 PM)FishNDip Wrote:

No, you don't need to take Precalculus at Study.com, if you need College Algebra you need to take Math 105 (Precalculus Algebra) which, despite having Precalculus in the name, is not a Precalculus class. Math 105 transfers to TESU as College Algebra.

This is confusing since Study.com has a College Algebra course (Math 101), but it doesn't meet the requirements to be a College Algebra course at TESU (and I'd imagine other schools as well) because isn't rigorous enough. Math 101 comes into TESU as Intermediate Algebra instead.

Personally, I think SDC should rename its Math 101 course to be Intermediate Algebra and rename Math 105 to College Algebra, but that is just me. Plus there may be other colleges that will accept Math 101 as College Algebra.

Wooo hooo! This is confusing! Thanks for clarifying! That's good to know, but I think Modern States still beats Study.com considering it's FurFree!
(03-18-2019, 03:52 PM)FishNDip Wrote: That means I have to take College Algebra huh? College Mathmatics won't cut it? I assume the Algebra course is harder, so I guess I'll do the Mathmatics course first as a warm up.

If the course has the course and number, does that mean it's required? For example, Law-201 Or ENC-102 (English composition II ) Can I switch out English Comp II for say College Composition modular?

You will be hard-pressed to find a business degree out there anywhere that doesn't require College Algebra at the lowest AND Stats.  The only one I know of is COSC, which only requires Stats.  Our local schools all require Calculus for Business majors AND Stats.

Also, to answer a different question: CLEP College Composition w/Essay comes in as ENC-101/102 for 6cr.  College Comp Modular comes in as ENC-101, so that 101 part would be a duplicate portion of the full CCw/E exam.

And TESU will not let you skip ENC-102, it's a required course, no substitutions allowed.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,345 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,596 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,437 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 746 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 360 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,902 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 590 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 312 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 731 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM