Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suggestions for 1st Straighterline class
rowan555 Wrote:My son got the Guardian scholarship to Study.com 2 days after he signed up with Straighterline - bad timing, but it's hard to turn down free! He's juggling both right now, and while it's not ideal, he is knocking out a few credits with Study.com at absolutely no cost, so it's worth it.

We have used Study.com so I'm familiar with it. I'm just looking for courses with more contact hours, books, etc. to count them for high school first and college credit second. When my other son used SL years back, he completed Bio, English, and Med term - the catalog was small then. It's so large now, that I'm excited for him to dive in!
cookderosa Wrote:We have used Study.com so I'm familiar with it. I'm just looking for courses with more contact hours, books, etc. to count them for high school first and college credit second. When my other son used SL years back, he completed Bio, English, and Med term - the catalog was small then. It's so large now, that I'm excited for him to dive in!

Ah, ok - we never kept homeschooling records, so that didn't really occur to me as an issue. I will say my son enjoys Sl so much more than Study.com, and he's enjoyed being able to just sit and read the textbooks on the sofa rather than sitting at the computer reading for extended periods of time.
Business Ethics was easy for me and only took a few days.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:Business Ethics was easy for me and only took a few days.

My son says that has been his favorite so far. He finished it in 4 days and really enjoyed it and felt he learned a lot. He hated Business Law. Hated it.
videogamesrock Wrote:Business Ethics was easy for me and only took a few days.

rowan555 Wrote:My son says that has been his favorite so far. He finished it in 4 days and really enjoyed it and felt he learned a lot. He hated Business Law. Hated it.

very helpful guys! Thank you - keep them coming!
In the last 10 or so months I've completed a pile of SL courses; I have 75cr from SL on my ACE transcript, and they have nothing left to offer me that fits into my degree plan. If they did, I'd take it. I definitely like their system the best. That said.. some SL courses that stick out to me..

Like Business Law, all the accounting courses are pure horror. The stronger your general math background, the less sense they seem to make.

Intro to Religion was pretty good, I felt they covered a lot of ground without glossing over anyone more than anyone else. IT Fundamentals is a horror show. Avoid unless you really need the credits and can hold your nose.

Of course, the oral communications course is great. Much better than every story I've heard of the CLEP. It's an "easy A" but if you're the shy type you'll work a lot harder at it than you need to, which isn't really a bad thing in itself. The material is pretty buzzwordy, but I've seen worse..

.. and speaking of worse. The intro to Sociology course, while fairly easy, was really terrible. Memorizing the M stages of terror and the N stages of horror while you trust fall down the 17 steps on the pyramid of lies into the.... ok I'm exaggerating. Still, I feel there was a lot of memorizing completely "made up" things like this. I have vague recollections of the first chapter or two of the book being a thinly veiled sales pitch trying to convince you that sociology is a real science.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
I usually recommend Cultural Anthro, or Environmental science for people I don't want to get discouraged easily. These two have no curve balls and align exactly with the book. I recommend getting the ebook AND the physical book. I HATE reading the ebooks, but they're worth having for the tests. I use the physical book to read the material. They're so cheap it's easy to justify getting both.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
I'd recommend Intro to Religion as a first StraighterLine course to anyone. It's definitely doable in less than a week!
Introduction to Sociology was so EASY, it was like common sense in book form mixed with some "nice to know" info. Then again, I'm in my 30's, so that may explain it, so it will probably be new to him. Still easy though, loved the course. I also second Cultural Anthropology. Very easy, and learned some interesting info.
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
cookderosa Wrote:My 10th grader is going to take his first Straighterline class starting this December. He isn't working on a degree, but this will count for high school credit and college credit later.

I don't care about the subject, I just want his first class to be a good experience. I'd like him to complete it in 1 month as well. If you were in my shoes, which class would you choose?

Communication is key throughout high school/college, heck, even in life itself. My suggestion is the Intro to Communications course.
If your 10th grader likes sciences more and would like to try his hand on something, then Environmental Sciences is the one.

Lastly, if your son is more into the arts than sciences, the suggestion for Cultural Anthropology would be the recommended choice.
If he has time, he can probably finish each course in a week. He can probably cram another course or two into that 1 month membership.

I wonder, are you putting your son on a schedule similar to what you have posted for using Saylor courses for credit as well?
If that's the case, you can have him get started with Saylor after he finishes his HS and Straighterline studies.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 523 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 174 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,410 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 331 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 311 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 708 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 434 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 631 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,165 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,087 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138