Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suggestions for 1st Straighterline class
alzee Wrote:I have vague recollections of the first chapter or two of the book being a thinly veiled sales pitch trying to convince you that sociology is a real science.

#everysocialscienceclassI'veevertaken
Nixi Wrote:I'd recommend Intro to Religion as a first StraighterLine course to anyone. It's definitely doable in less than a week!

that's the one they picked! Thank you Nixi. (P.S. "they" because I've decided to use it with 2 of my teens instead of just one - he was voluntold this morning)
bjcheung77 Wrote:I wonder, are you putting your son on a schedule similar to what you have posted for using Saylor courses for credit as well?
If that's the case, you can have him get started with Saylor after he finishes his HS and Straighterline studies.

Ha ha..... ok, so here's the thing. KNOWING how to do something, share something, teach something is one thing. What works for MY kids is another animal entirely. It's hard choosing the best path for my kids - maybe it's a combination of knowing too much or the fact that it's just hard and I've tricked myself into thinking my time here buys me some advantage when planning for my own kids - either way, the Saylor program is too rigorous for my 2 high school sons. My 12th grader has done the most Saylor courses out of all my kids- he hates them with a passion. He usually starts them with a comment to the effect of "what's the least amount I have to do before you'll give me a C in this class." He LOVES audio lessons or reading- but in an either/or approach. Has some pathway processing issues - so videos like Study.com or Khan are too much for him to handle because it's overwhelming to watch/listen/remember/write quickly. He isn't the one I was thinking of using SL for, however, I decided today that I'll sign my 10th and 12th grader up together. My 10th grader will do fine, and my 12th grader does better with a study buddy - so, we'll see how it goes. My 12th grader is currently studying for the NC Real Estate Broker's exam, which is his first priority.
I will just throw this out there...Intro to Philosophy is $49 and I got by without ordering the book. I did use this free page for additional study. Philosophy
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
My 10th and 12th grade boys started Intro to Religion today. We have the ebook and physical texts. There is a -$20 code right now "HUMANITIES" so I only paid $29 each.

Here is my question for those who have a lot of Straighterline experience.
I supervised their first lesson (they are doing it together). They went through the slide show / audio lesson. The lesson ends with study activities - flash cards, crossword, etc. They earned 100% on all of those activities. Is it necessary to also read the text at this point (Ch 1), or do the lesson and study activities give them what they'll need to start chapter 2?
cookderosa Wrote:My 10th and 12th grade boys started Intro to Religion today. We have the ebook and physical texts. There is a -$20 code right now "HUMANITIES" so I only paid $29 each.

I supervised their first lesson (they are doing it together). They went through the slide show / audio lesson. The lesson ends with study activities - flash cards, crossword, etc. They earned 100% on all of those activities. Is it necessary to also read the text at this point (Ch 1), or do the lesson and study activities give them what they'll need to start chapter 2?

It's all personal preference, some people like to skip everything and just do the exams, midterm, proctored final as they "know" their stuff...
Others, they like to take their time and read through things to make sure they've got it down properly. It depends how you want your kids to learn.
My suggestion is to have them at least skim through each text chapter as a minimum (prepares them especially for the closed book final exams).
Otherwise, if they're doing the open book finals, it's easy to just search the e-textbook for answers to the ones that they don't know or recall.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
cookderosa Wrote:My 10th and 12th grade boys started Intro to Religion today. We have the ebook and physical texts. There is a -$20 code right now "HUMANITIES" so I only paid $29 each.

My son has found just reading the textbook and skipping the online lessons/activities works better for him. He said the test material seems to come more from the books than from the lessons.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
rowan555 Wrote:My son has found just reading the textbook and skipping the online lessons/activities works better for him. He said the test material seems to come more from the books than from the lessons.

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks!
Update:

my 10th and 12th grade sons started using Straighterline on November 28th. So far for each course we have the textbook and ebook. They are doing their SL courses together - "school house style"- with a good amount of reading out loud for discussion.

1st course - Intro to Religion (both passed high 80's) In short - this class is probably much easier than the DSST which was my initial plan. I had a lot of books and videos that I had planned to use for a DIY DSST course, but they completed this course in 2 weeks and it was relatively painless. Happy we picked this one.

2nd course- Business Ethics (both passed - one in high 70's, one low 80's) Even I didn't like this class lol! I don't know if it was because it was full of subjective gobbledygook or what, but this class felt *to me* like a poor attempt at making an academic discipline where some guidelines would suffice. Too wordy. Not sure why this was such torture.

3rd course- Microbiology (both taking final on Friday) - hard class. Google is your friend. The problem for my sons is that it's a Saylor course. Studying with Saylor is long and slow - like drinking water from a fire hose, and the text doesn't seem to match this course. I had a Great Courses class called Mysteries of the Microscopic World - this saved the day. They've gone through the DVD and are getting it. While we initially were going to follow up with a lab, I've changed my mind. They can get their lab later this year or next.

On deck: Next up is Anthropology, Med Terms (expect both complete in January) Nutrition, Communication, and Environmental Science (planned for Feb) and both English Comps in March. They both still have homeschool classes they are doing daily, so this pace is totally doable.

12th grade son graduates high school June 1, and I think in March I might send his transcripts to COSC. He'll be pretty close to an AS, and I think I'd like him to finish high school with an AS & diploma.
Thanks for the update and summary!
Has he done any FEMA along the way? That could cap off his AS.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 528 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 180 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,032 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 339 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 336 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 723 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 440 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 645 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,182 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,093 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138