Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
swordfights! deminishing the enjoyment of the forum
KittenMittens Wrote:Well, you did call to censor me and my thread, so you could always do that again. A few forum users here are not representative of the entire internet community, and as I’ve said elsewhere, there tends to be a herd mentality on what prevailing views are. That effect becomes more amplified the smaller the user base is.

Threads that have devolved into arguments are usually closed. It's that way on many fora.

Quote:I assume you’re referring to me. I’m not sure if you are insinuating that I support people who make racist and sexist comments or that the big 3 are degree mills (which I do think they are to some degree if testing out of a degree in a few months) or if this is being directed elsewhere considering that this thread is directed towards me (and passively aggressively so). If it's not me, then my apologies.

That post was not about you.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
And another thread turns into the same debate about TECEPs and then pushing COSC even after the OP clearly stated they were doing per credit at TESC.

Can we please have some moderation of this, many threads are turning into the same information copy/pasted from other threads, and turned into about Kitten Mittens.
I know this thread is not about her, but a lot of threads are turning into being all about KittensMittens quest to push COSC down everyone's throat, and demonize TECEP's at every opportunity. OP specific new information is not being given, it is the same copy/pasted info, and steering conversations away from the OP is affecting readability of the forum.

Others may be polite, but i'm tired of seeing this once helpful place being ruined by an, in my opinion, insufferable [insert word of choice]
There was a real sense of altruism here, now it's about pushing a personal agenda, constant attacking of a institution that has served many students well, misinformation that is possibly taking away students choices for study opportunities. It is damaging for ALL at the forums to let this continue.
Aleks: Beginning, Intermediate, College Algebra, Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics
Straighterline: Cultural Anthropology, Religion, Biology, Environmental Science, Philosophy, Eng Comp I, C++.
Working on - Eng Comp II, Intro Comm
Sophia Intro to Psych
TEEX: CYB101, CYB201, CYB301
NFA: Q318, Q118, Q137
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences

Goal: Complete Gen Ed. requirements.
Photog Wrote:It is damaging for ALL at the forums to let this continue.

This is true for a reason that hasn't been mentioned. Excelsior and COSC require more UL credits and accept less CLEPs and DSSTs as UL. TECEPs are another source of UL credit for Excelsior and COSC students. Putting the per credit tuition plan aside, TECEPs are actually more useful to COSC and Excelsior students than they are for TESC students because TESC students have plenty of other options. We've also had several students ask for advice here who can only do online proctoring; they do not have access to any college or test center that offers CLEP, DSST, or Uexcels. In some cases, the cost difference between a Uexcel and TECEP can be great e.g. the Abnormal Psychology Uexcel is $325 plus a $60 test fee. Needlessly scaring people away from TECEPs only does those students a disservice.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:This is true for a reason that hasn't been mentioned. Excelsior and COSC require more UL credits and accept less CLEPs and DSSTs as UL. TECEPs are another source of UL credit for Excelsior and COSC students. Putting the per credit tuition plan aside, TECEPs are actually more useful to COSC and Excelsior students than they are for TESC students because TESC students have plenty of other options. We've also had several students ask for advice here who can only do online proctoring; they do not have access to any college or test center that offers CLEP, DSST, or Uexcels. In some cases, the cost difference between a Uexcel and TECEP can be great e.g. the Abnormal Psychology Uexcel is $325 plus a $60 test fee. Needlessly scaring people away from TECEPs only does those students a disservice.

That is a very good point. TECEPs give COSC students a level playing field when it comes to testing. When your school is not as accepting as TESC, you need every advantage you can get when it comes to fulfilling UL credits through alternative means.

There is an element of the unknown about them, though, and that does tend to cast them in a scarier light. That's all going to change as more people take them and others will read all this bickering and think we were taking stupid pills.

On an unrelated note, sanantone, why don't you clean out your inbox so I can ask you about stuff. For example: How was the CSU Global CBE? How's the BSBA coming? What parts of Houston should I avoid if I move there? Tongue

ETA: I just found your specific thread about the CSU Global exam, but that's still no excuse! lol
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
Tedium Wrote:What parts of Houston should I avoid

Just avoid the part that is in Texas and you should be fine. hilarious
Photog Wrote:And another thread turns into the same debate about TECEPs and then pushing COSC even after the OP clearly stated they were doing per credit at TESC.

I know this thread is not about her, but a lot of threads are turning into being all about KittensMittens quest to push COSC down everyone's throat, and demonize TECEP's at every opportunity. OP specific new information is not being given, it is the same copy/pasted info, and steering conversations away from the OP is affecting readability of the forum.

Others may be polite, but i'm tired of seeing this once helpful place being ruined by an, in my opinion, insufferable [insert word of choice]
There was a real sense of altruism here, now it's about pushing a personal agenda, constant attacking of a institution that has served many students well, misinformation that is possibly taking away students choices for study opportunities. It is damaging for ALL at the forums to let this continue.

A lot of strawman fallacies, personal insults (calling me an insufferable, erm, what is that again?), and lies. This thread is mainly about bashing me (pretending it's not is just ridiculous), and nowhere do I state or opine that COSC is the only way. There was just another post on that thread by Charismo by dewisant complaining about the TECEP exams, so I merely asked how far they were into the program. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. There's literally dozens of threads scattered throughout the forum discussing this issue.

Quote: constant attacking of a institution that has served many students well, misinformation that is possibly taking away students choices for study opportunities. It is damaging for ALL at the forums to let this continue.

I don't see OPs in any threads complaining about their threads being derailed, and when/if it does, I've actually insisted that we stay on track. Here's the thread you're referring to. I don't see OP complaining at all.

Maybe you should read posts more carefully before making quick judgments. Nowhere do I attack TESC or Excelsior. I've already indicated I would have preferred TESC for several reasons. I've also mentioned pros and cons of each of the 3 programs. Also, none us are certified "life advisors", "coaches" or guidance counselors. There is also a lot of misinformation and misdirection here on the forum too, and it's up to each unique individual to figure out what's best for themselves. Certainly, no one's forcing a gun to his/her heads to follow someone else's way. From what I've seen, the preponderance of opinion specifically on this forum is to go to TESC - the degreewikia even implies that as well. Also, in real life, most people go to Excelsior, then TESC, then COSC. So why is it that most of the posts here on this forum are about TESC, when more people go to Excelsior? From what I've seen, it's because there's a bias/push to go there whether subconsciously or consciously intended; I looked into the "per credit" plan as recommended by several people here, and found the lack of review material a big inconvenience and major disadvantage - a lot of people believe that as well. That's the nature of forums, and often typical of forums with small active user bases ending up pidgeon-holing one line of thinking - it happens all the time on internet forums, though many times those views don't reflect real world situations but rather ideals that tend to fit a minority of vocal users. It's also typical of forums to demonize newcomers opinions simply because they don't jibe well with some/few very active users; on a grand scale, these quibbles and disputes are hardly noticed or cared for since they eventually get buried and majority of people are just momentarily visiting looking for particular information.

In any case, if you don't like what you read you can always ignore me, but so far, I have every right to express my opinions (to which you're twisting and distorting), to which I've supported with concrete, hard facts, and to which people have given me credence and approval for. You can push to censor me, or personally attack me if you wish, but that only speaks for yourself.
I've been fortunate in the past that the mature discussion of schools helped me to determine that TESC met my needs best, although I had considered COSC. Occasionally, posters question a post to get more information in order to help a questioner, or posters bring up possible alternative methods of reaching a goal, or offer different goals that might meet a questioner's need. THAT'S why I come to this forum. If I wanted antagonism, I could go to my mom's for a family dinner.

As to Texas, UpsonSinclair, I'm right there with you!
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
sanantone Wrote:Excelsior and COSC require more UL credits and accept less CLEPs and DSSTs as UL. TECEPs are another source of UL credit for Excelsior and COSC students. Putting the per credit tuition plan aside, TECEPs are actually more useful to COSC and Excelsior students than they are for TESC students because TESC students have plenty of other options.... Needlessly scaring people away from TECEPs only does those students a disservice.

On the other hand, pushing TECEPs is doing a disservice too. There was just a thread on that about the primary problem of most TECEPs needing to read textbooks and wishing he would have known that before getting into the program. There are a lot of threads and posts critical of TECEPs on a similar/related vein.

The UL exams I've mentioned DSST Substance Abuse (96% pass rate), DSST Civil War (96%), UExcel Psychology of Adulthood & Aging (96% pass rate), & UExcel Social Psychology (94%) are well-regarded for being extremely passable, easy, and straightforward. All of these are less than $100 or so. Those are the only ULs needed to complete the remaining 30 UL credits for COSC. Majority found these exams to be very straightforward according to InstantCert and forum feedback.

What it ultimately boils down to, imho, is TESC's "per credit" 24 credit TECEP requirement to save about $2,600 versus COSC's which lets you more freedom to do any exam using materials that have been vouched for. You'd also have to take more business credits (about 15 credits). There is also a lack of information about these TECEPs in general besides a few sparse comments as someone stated in the other thread and only a couple TECEP flash card sets where people have indicated were inadequate.

Like I've said, I think TECEP's "per credit" plan is great if someone is on an extreme budget. For around $2-$3,000, it's a steal for a degree, but it's fine to comment that it will likely more involved studying due to the absence/dearth of review materials, practice exams, and forum feedback - and there's a reason why there's a lack of prep material for TECEPs because of the general lack of popularity (because CLEPs are popular in all colleges, DSSTs by the military, and UExcel which has the largest student population of the 3 colleges). That's why instantcert.com people produced material for UExcels and you see way more prep for those, as well as test taker data since far more people take them. The instantcert people probably found that it wasn't worth the time to make prep materials for TECEPs due to the lack of demand for them. Anyways, if someone was on a budget, and was ok with the idea of doing TECEPs and knowing that it may entail studying more for them, there's nothing wrong with mentioning that, though it's fair to comment to that overriding sentiment with most TECEPs is that they are more involved, and harder to prepare for than CLEPS, DSSTs, and UExcels.

As far as photog is concerned, I don't see how I am "bashing" TESC when I state very clearly I think the program is fine, but realizing the limitations of it as with the shortcomings of COSC being the price and the requirements of the cornerstone/capstone. I very clearly state shortcomings of COSC as well as pros/cons of Excelsior as well, so anyone who states otherwise is just intentionally misrepresenting and twisting things.
KittenMittens,

You and I have been getting along fine in the COSC thread, and I don't want that to end. I don't have any problems with you or any other poster personally.

I say all that to say this: your phrasing can be seen as antagonistic in some of your posts. I don't believe it is intentional and I don't believe you are setting out looking for fights. I don't believe that because when you are forced to make your defensive posts after the umpteen million backlash comments, you express your intentions better. I just think you made a poor choice in naming a thread, and now that so much back and forth has gone on, each side has dug into their trenches, so to speak. It's harder now for everyone to take a step back, lay down their arms, and stop taking pot shots at one another. This is all very reminiscent of American political campaign commercials once the candidates decide to start airing attack ads. Once one does it, the other feels obligated to return the favor, and as time goes on they get worse and more offensive and we citizens are left wondering when it all will stop.

The good news is, you don't have anything to defend. You have no stake in anything here. None of us do. This is not a territory to be conquered. We are all here to help students/seekers and be helped ourselves. We deal in facts. Period. Full stop. Our egos do not have a place here. Not yours, not mine, and not any of the other people posting about you. Our personal identities are not at stake here. But this has all become so personal and it shouldn't be. In my six years on this forum I have never experienced anything quite like this.

It would be really nice if EVERYONE could take a step back and let this drop. I don't want this for selfish reasons. If I wanted to I could put people on mute and be done with it. I would like for that to happen for the students this forum was designed to help. They are the ones we should be focused on, not this needless and petty squabble. I realize I addressed this to you alone, but I'm speaking to everyone involved. I don't think anyone needs to apologize or be publicly humiliated or anything else. WE all need to just STOP.

What I said before still stands. I love all of you guys and girls. I know when all is said and done we are all just trying to help people here. You guys are some of the best and most selfless people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting for that reason. Let's all please try to get back on message.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
Well put Tedium, I think I'll let that be the final word on the matter for this thread.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Forum hsufeng 6 729 03-14-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  I missed this forum 2L8 1 990 03-07-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Can we disable necroposting on this forum? udi 19 2,544 04-12-2019, 07:13 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  Why do you not post on the other forum? sanantone 41 9,513 12-26-2017, 09:35 PM
Last Post: decimon
  New Forum Software Installed / 3 Weeks Data Lost sgloer 46 11,386 08-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Last Post: davewill
  update forum software to vbulletin v4.2.1 BrandeX 0 1,595 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Last Post: BrandeX
  Link to Degree Forum Wiki jmeitrem 5 3,020 05-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Degreeinfo - Is the sister forum down for good? bjcheung77 10 5,933 09-15-2016, 11:31 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Forum Friend Requests dfrecore 18 3,476 09-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Last Post: davewill
  What's more telling? School or Degree Program....From the other forum rebel100 7 1,687 03-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Last Post: rebel100