Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York University offers free Tuition to all Medical Students
Check this out, awesome and something to drive those of us looking at medicine to work even harder:

https://www.valuemd.com/main-foreign-med...dents.html
Now this is amazing... who's going to sign up?! *looks at credit card*
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
My only object is the use of the word "free." It's not free. Someone (tax-payers?) is footing the bill. While it is free to the students, nothing is really free. It always irritates me.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

(08-23-2018, 03:02 PM)GoodYellowDogs Wrote: My only object is the use of the word "free."    It's not free.  Someone (tax-payers?) is footing the bill.   While it is free to the students, nothing is really free.   It always irritates me.

NYU is a private university. The cost would be covered by their endowments. No reason to be irritated at all.  Rolleyes
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 4 users Like davewill's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs, jsd, Nightmoves5, timokito
I stand corrected Smile
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

My local CC has a $1M grant to give last-dollar grants to all kids who go there after graduating from a local high school (there's a list). I, as a taxpayer, appreciate that someone wanted to do an experiment to see if more kids will go to school if it's free, and used their own money to do so! We will benefit from it, as my dd will go there, and get a free year of school even though we don't qualify for any gov't aid.

It will be interesting to see how NYU gives out this money, how many people graduate debt-free, and how competitive this school gets (if you thought it was hard to get in before, just wait). It will also be interesting to see if other schools follow suit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Nightmoves5
This is much needed as perhaps more doctors will do more family and internal medicine that is traditionally less pay that some subspecialities. Some (not all) choose lucrative medical fields in part because they know they could pay off debt faster and make the 10 years of education worth it. With no debt, more options become available. Kudos to NYU and benefactors that made it happen.
[-] The following 3 users Like cardiacclep's post:
  • Getiton1, jsd, Nightmoves5
That is incredible! Amazing news!
(08-25-2018, 07:34 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: This is much needed as perhaps more doctors will do more family and internal medicine that is traditionally less pay that some subspecialities. Some (not all) choose lucrative medical fields in part because they know they could pay off debt faster and make the 10 years of education worth it. With no debt, more options become available. Kudos to NYU and benefactors that made it happen.

More people are going to apply for NYU and the admissions standards will undoubtedly increase. This will bring more prestige to NYU, which will attract better professors, which attracts better students, which brings more prestige to NYU, and on we go. This work outs well for NYU in the long term. I don't know if its so clear that it will incentivize students to enter less lucrative fields though.

This is definitely going to create a wonderful natural experiment. Do you think that the specialty doctors end up choosing is more of a financial choice, or based on what doctors find interesting or challenging? I know there's a component of both in the decision, but I would think the decision would weigh the preferences of the doctors more, particularly with doctors competitive enough to aim for tough schools like NYU. This tuition plan will increase competition for admissions to NYU. I wonder if attracting more competitive applicants will end up attracting more of the people who go into lucrative, challenging specialties.

From my rough review of the field, it looks like the major impediment to filling the underserved fields is the AMA's arbitrary limit on the number of medical schools and residencies. Its a difficult problem, because an increase in the number of doctors lowers wages for existing doctors, so the AMA has an incentive to avoid increasing the number of doctors. We can see this directly in their response to the increase in nurse practitioners as a way to ease the shortage of doctors:

"The American Medical Association (AMA) is disappointed by the Department of Veterans Affairs' (VA) unprecedented proposal to allow advanced practice nurses (APRN) within the VA to practice independently of a physician's clinical oversight, regardless of individual state law." (https://www.ama-assn.org/ama-statement-v...ice-nurses)

We're in a bizarre situation where the advocacy group for doctors is in control of how many doctors are allowed into the job market, and actively opposes any effort to ease the artificial shortage their protectionist policies create.
[-] The following 2 users Like alexf.1990's post:
  • dfrecore, High_Order1
(08-26-2018, 07:21 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote: cardiacclepThis is much needed as perhaps more doctors will do more family and internal medicine that is traditionally less pay that some subspecialities. Some (not all) choose lucrative medical fields in part because they know they could pay off debt faster and make the 10 years of education worth it. With no debt, more options become available. Kudos to NYU and benefactors that made it happen.

More people are going to apply for NYU and the admissions standards will undoubtedly increase. This will bring more prestige to NYU, which will attract better professors, which attracts better students, which brings more prestige to NYU, and on we go. This work outs well for NYU in the long term. I don't know if its so clear that it will incentivize students to enter less lucrative fields though.

This is definitely going to create a wonderful natural experiment. Do you think that the specialty doctors end up choosing is more of a financial choice, or based on what doctors find interesting or challenging? I know there's a component of both in the decision, but I would think the decision would weigh the preferences of the doctors more, particularly with doctors competitive enough to aim for tough schools like NYU. This tuition plan will increase competition for admissions to NYU. I wonder if attracting more competitive applicants will end up attracting more of the people who go into lucrative, challenging specialties.

From my rough review of the field, it looks like the major impediment to filling the underserved fields is the AMA's arbitrary limit on the number of medical schools and residencies. Its a difficult problem, because an increase in the number of doctors lowers wages for existing doctors, so the AMA has an incentive to avoid increasing the number of doctors. We can see this directly in their response to the increase in nurse practitioners as a way to ease the shortage of doctors:

"The American Medical Association (AMA) is disappointed by the Department of Veterans Affairs' (VA) unprecedented proposal to allow advanced practice nurses (APRN) within the VA to practice independently of a physician's clinical oversight, regardless of individual state law."  (https://www.ama-assn.org/ama-statement-v...ice-nurses)

We're in a bizarre situation where the advocacy group for doctors is in control of how many doctors are allowed into the job market, and actively opposes any effort to ease the artificial shortage their protectionist policies create.

I 100% agree with everything you've said here.  Very well thought out.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 255 Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 326 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,088 03-27-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 284 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,466 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 550 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,983 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,364 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,318 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000