Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the role of these online MOOCs in credit accumulation, and a BS IT
Hi everyone!
It's my first post  Angel

Part 1
I've read a bit but am not quite sure what to make of study.com, saylor.com, straigerLine, etc... 
1. How do these sites help me fulfill my credit requirements? Or are they used for something else? 
2. and why aren't sites like coursera and edx included?

Part 2
I made a spreadsheet of the courses I'd need for a BS IT from Excelsior. The current iteration is for a focus in cybersecurity, but I suspect that I will change that. 
1. Is there some way I can incorporate these sites? 
2. Or should I work on any associated certifications that would/could fulfill these requirements?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Thanks for reading!!

EDIT v1:

1. OKAY, I did some more readuring and realize the sites listed do provide credits. i'm not sure about a full list of such sites.
2. I'm not sure how to tell which courses will satisfy which credit requirements. Is that a conversation I have with my advisor?
(06-20-2019, 02:39 PM)readur Wrote: Part 1
I've read a bit but am not quite sure what to make of study.com, saylor.com, straigerLine, etc... 
1. How do these sites help me fulfill my credit requirements? Or are they used for something else? 
2. and why aren't sites like coursera and edx included?

1. These programs are reviewed by ACE (American Council on Education) or NCCRS (National College Credit Recommendation Service) and they recommend to their partner schools that these courses are equivalent to a typical college course in the subject. Their partner colleges can decide to take these recommendations however they want (ie, accept them, reject them, take some of them and not others, take them but not as recommended). Some schools do, most don't. The Big 3 schools we talk about here accept them as recommended in MOST situations (Shmoop is an example of an exception).

2. Coursera/EdX have not been reviewed by ACE/NCCRS (at least not they don't have any non-expired reviews).

I won't address part 2 because i don't know much about excelsior and how they accept courses. I will say for IT degrees, the general advice given here is to go through WGU... certifications are included in your tuition and you can often finish faster/cheaper (if you are very disciplined AND have the background already) than you could with the Big 3. They're also generous with ACE credit (but not NCCRS).
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • readur
Super, I appreciate you taking the time :)
I learned a lot just formulating the questions, and your response to "Part 2" is helpful.

I'll answer the other questions for the sake of future use.

Part 2
I made a spreadsheet of the courses I'd need for a BS IT from Excelsior. The current iteration is for a focus in cybersecurity, but I suspect that I will change that. 
1. Is there some way I can incorporate these sites? 
2. Or should I work on any associated certifications that would/could fulfill these requirements?

Regarding the first question and the addendum question: there are 2 variables here. 
  1. The first is whether or not the material covered in the course satisfies the educational requirement. The way to find out is to get either a course description or better yet, a syllabus, and provide it to your advisor. Your institution will review the material and see if the course satisfies the educational requirements. Whether using Study.com or a local college, you need to validate the course material with your advisor.
  2. The other variable is whether they'll accept ACE or NCCRS credits. Same as above, inquire with your academic advisor. 

I don't yet have an answer to the second question re: professional associations
fyi, i noticed a typo that's too late to edit now. when i said "Some schools do, most do" regarding ACE/NCCRS credit, i meant some do, most DON'T. That's what makes the Big 3 unique.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(06-22-2019, 06:23 PM)jsd Wrote: fyi, i noticed a typo that's too late to edit now. when i said "Some schools do, most do" regarding ACE/NCCRS credit, i meant some do, most DON'T. That's what makes the Big 3 unique.

fixed. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • jsd
Thank you, benevolent mod

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 8 947 02-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Sophia Credit Transfer StudyKing21 1 497 01-19-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 676 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 821 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Study.com: Upcoming Changes to Credit-Granting Courses inf 28 3,784 09-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,517 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TADA credit NapoleonInRags 16 1,874 05-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACE Credit Recommended Professional Cook Certification lumina 5 1,022 01-26-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: bellbaby
  Online Self-Paced Certified Personal Trainer course ($19.99/month) worth 3 ACE credit MNomadic 1 932 01-07-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Education and alternative credit platforms Londinium7 0 616 10-31-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Londinium7