Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transfering foreign languages
Here's a question for those who might know. Back in high-school I took six hours worth of a foreign language through a community college. I was wondering if there was a general policy that any one of the "big three" (particularly TESC) hold to in relation to transferring language hours? I've heard a lot of differing things, anywhere from "No, you can't transfer language hours unless you take a placement test through the college who is granting your degree." to "Yes, they will transfer, but only if you have taken the class within five years." to (what I'm hoping for), "College hours are college hours, whether College Algebra or Spanish. It'll transfer."

I'm not actually enrolled yet, so I don't have an adviser to ask. I could probably study and take the CLEP test for the language, but I'd rather be able to count the hours I've already earned. Smile Does anyone know of a policy about this?
Pursuing TESC B.A in Social Sciences
108 down. 12 to go! Big Grin

[SIZE="1"]CLEP
English Comp-60, US History 1-68, US History 2-61, Analyze & Interpret Lit-79, Human G&D-65, Intro Sociology-66, Intro psych.-71, Educational Psych --67, College Mathematics--60, SS&H--62, Humanities--62, Western Civ 2--58, Western Civ 1--66, American Lit--59

DSST
Civil War and Reconstruction--57, Astronomy--59, Computing--435, Middle East--59, Vietnam War--59, Western Europe--58, Substance Abuse--431, Organizational Behavior--65
[/SIZE]
Jubilee Wrote:Here's a question for those who might know. Back in high-school I took six hours worth of a foreign language through a community college. I was wondering if there was a general policy that any one of the "big three" (particularly TESC) hold to in relation to transferring language hours? I've heard a lot of differing things, anywhere from "No, you can't transfer language hours unless you take a placement test through the college who is granting your degree." to "Yes, they will transfer, but only if you have taken the class within five years." to (what I'm hoping for), "College hours are college hours, whether College Algebra or Spanish. It'll transfer."

I'm not actually enrolled yet, so I don't have an adviser to ask. I could probably study and take the CLEP test for the language, but I'd rather be able to count the hours I've already earned. Smile Does anyone know of a policy about this?
>>

I can't help you with the transfer part- it is always up to the college, but I will tell you this, TESC will give you 12 credits for a score of 60ish or better on a foreign language CLEP depending on the language. So, if you still have the ability, you might do better taking the test!

As far as transfer, it's any body's guess. You'll get 6 or more credit hours for sure- but how much and where is a big mystery. :confused:

Also, just going out on a limb with this, but if you took intermediate and advanced level language (which it sounds like you might have if you took 3cr and 3cr instead of 4cr and 4cr), consider bringing your 6 transfer in AND taking the CLEP to back in your 101/102 levels! You'd have to check with an adviser, but you may be able to pull out even more than 12 credits!

Just my two cents, but if I thought I stood a snowball's chance of earning 12 credits in one CLEP I'd be all on it!! That's $5 a credit!
When I was in bootcamp, I was required to take the Language test. Needless to say, I didn't score high enough to get extra pay but TESC considers them as Humanities credit. My scores were both in the Lower Level and Upper Level Category and some were applied to my degree plan.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfering to a state university question(what's the best way to do it!) Yung Bukket 1 925 07-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Last Post: CM1999
  Transfering credit from SL or Study.com to TESU. Do grades transfer too? Vin 12 3,446 05-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Vin
  community college AA transfering to tesu psych BA nsisco 2 813 02-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Last Post: nsisco
  Foreign Transcripts 2ndChance 4 718 06-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Last Post: 2ndChance
  Question about TESC, ACE, and transfering hours jayboy 2 492 12-29-2014, 09:42 PM
Last Post: laughter
  Foreign Language BA at TESC or Charter Oaks through testing? luckystrike 6 636 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Last Post: luckystrike
  Anyone ever tranfer credit from a foreign univ to TESC? walternc3 17 1,464 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Last Post: AlbaTiVo
  transfering credits to a local university daxurbina 5 895 12-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Last Post: rebel100
  Transfering to TESC with 60 credits- Financial Aid and Enrollment Question trailblazer75 1 453 10-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  Questions about transfering from TUI ebwhite 3 720 08-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Yenisei