Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transferring *from* WGU?
You could take bio prerequisites and go into a master's program. I was accepted to a microbiology program, and I only have an associate's in biology. However, I switched to a medical science program.

I don't think I've seen an online master's in biology that requires the GRE subject test. If you just want the credits, COSC told me a few years ago that I wouldn't receive credits for individual courses. My transcript would show that I satisfied a certain number of 100, 200, 300, and 400-level credits. I don't know if that's still true. I was thinking about just credit banking the bio credits at COSC.

If I remember correctly, Grand Canyon, Clemson, and Texas A&M - Commerce have online masters in biological science that are geared toward K-12 teachers. Keep in mind that you'll just be learning enough to teach K-12 courses. These aren't advanced biology courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-05-2019, 03:26 PM)sanantone Wrote: You could take bio prerequisites and go into a master's program. I was accepted to a microbiology program, and I only have an associate's in biology. However, I switched to a medical science program.

I don't think I've seen an online master's in biology that requires the GRE subject test. If you just want the credits, COSC told me a few years ago that I wouldn't receive credits for individual courses. My transcript would show that I satisfied a certain number of 100, 200, 300, and 400-level credits. I don't know if that's still true. I was thinking about just credit banking the bio credits at COSC.

If I remember correctly, Grand Canyon, Clemson, and Texas A&M - Commerce have online masters in biological science that are geared toward K-12 teachers. Keep in mind that you'll just be learning enough to teach K-12 courses. These aren't advanced biology courses.

You're right, they don't require the GRE subject test in biology. However, several of the ones I've looked at recommend it to applicants who don't meet the usual criteria of a bachelor's degree in bio or a certain GPA. I figure it couldn't hurt (unless my score is appalling, in which case I'd keep it to myself).

Thanks for the recommendations on other schools.
(10-05-2019, 02:55 PM)wow Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 12:11 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 09:59 AM)wow Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 11:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You can transfer WGU credit out, it's an RA school.  The problem is going to be finding another program that will take the courses you take, and having them fit into a degree.

I think it's better to find a more suitable degree.  I think in most states, you get a degree in the subject you want to teach, and then add on a credential.  OR, you go straight into a teaching program that has a credential as part of it (like this one at WGU).  Since you're unsure about that, you're much better off getting a degree in Biology (or science or whatever) and then not getting the credential.

That makes sense. Basically I'm interested in science education, but not sure about the classroom. Maybe that's considered science communication, or online education? Not sure what programs would fit that or if I'd have to do an Independent Studies. I'll need to do more digging.

(10-04-2019, 07:02 AM)sanantone Wrote: If you decide to transfer to a biology program, WGU's credits will not fit well. WGU's program is primarily an education program with a few basic biology courses thrown in. You'll lose a lot of credits upon transfer.

Yeah, makes sense. Maybe I should be looking into TESU MLA with concentration in Online Education, where I can be sure I don't have to teach in a classroom! I am just so tempted by WGU's self-paced structure; I do a lot better in self-paced work than the traditional educational schedule. But clearly I'm in a midlife crisis and don't know exactly what I want to do yet. Sigh.
There are many online science education master's programs and several biological science education programs. Coming across so many biological science programs for teachers was an annoyance for me because I just wanted a regular biology degree. LOL.

In my opinion, you should build a good foundation by earning an undergraduate degree in science and then go for a science education master's. You don't want to be teaching something you don't fully understand.

I agree about the BS! On the other hand, my spouse keeps telling me to just do the coursework for the biology degree plus hte GRE subject exam in biology without getting the degree (because I have a BA already and these redsidence and cornerstone fees add up) and then get an MS in something bio-related. It is hard to ignore his advice since he has a Bio BS and a Masters in Agronomy.

(10-05-2019, 08:19 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 09:44 PM)wow Wrote: I write science materials for kids but don't have teaching experience, and I think getting more of a pedagogy (and science) background would help.

Not a small question, but help with what exactly?  
Credibility in the eyes of the parents?  More scientific knowledge to help you develop your curriculum?  Understanding the student?  Getting practice implementing a lab with real kids?  Marketing your curriculum?  

I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem may not be your background or lack of.  Education for entrepreneurs is not NEARLY the benefit that it is if you were trying to work for someone else.  

I don't know if you are familiar with the HUGELY popular homeschool curriculum called IEW?  https://iew.com

I mention it because Andrew Pedewa is a rock star in this market segment. He is considered by most to be "the" expert in teaching kids writing.  He is at EVERY homeschool convention, and if I'm meeting a homeschool parent, there is a 99% chance she's heard of the program and or used it herself.  Guess what? He doesn't have a degree.  https://iew.com/intro-iew/history-missio...rew-pudewa  He has a Suzuki teaching certificate and a Certificate of Child Brain Development from the Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania which interestingly enough my husband and I also both have (we attended the program in 1994 - it's for parents, not professionals).

So, the question remains, what specifically do you think you want help with, and let's figure out if a degree solves that problem.

These are all good points. My business model used to be more like Andrew Pedewa's in the sense that I was working more directly with the audience, but that is a model that requires a lot of skills and energy spent on things that are not my core interest (marketing, market research, etc.), which is writing/producing the materials. It was fine when I was younger and healthier, but at this point it's exhausting. (I realize I could outsource some of it, but ultimately it's my business so I feel like I'd still need to have a hand in things.) So in recent years I've turned more to working with clients (like agencies, hospital systems, publishers) where I can just do my thing and not the other things. Credentials play a bigger role there.

In terms of "help," I really mean understanding basic educational and information processing principles a bit better. I have an intuitive grasp on a lot of things, but sometimes I feel like I'm hitting a wall in terms of my own knowledge. Credentials are great, and certain ones would definitely help with certain clients, but I don't know that anyone would care if I have a teaching degree.

For those purposes, a few courses in education/information theory would probably serve the purpose. So it might be better to look at a place like ACE for that.

Got it! Ok, so despite the fact that Sanantone is going to jump on me for suggesting this, you could get a fantastic credential from Harvard. They have a (mostly) distance learning program and there are a few options.
Yes, it's extension studies. Yes, it's not a degree "in" biology. Yes, but it's still flippin Harvard University and you could absolutely do a grad program. (I am not a huge fan of their undergrad program because it's too long and too expensive- but their grad program is only 10 courses) The program has haters (who will certainly comment in this thread) but if I had the money, it would already be on my resume. I've taken grad classes but never pulled the trigger to enroll. The classes I took were exceptional, and no question I would love to finish a full grad degree with them.

https://www.dce.harvard.edu

SCIENCE DEGREES
Bioengineering & Nanotechnology
Biology
Biotechnology

SCIENCE GRADUATE CERTIFICATES
Bioinformatics Certificate
Biotechnology Management Certificate

And depending on the kind of science you write, these might interest you too:

Sustainability & the Environment Development Practice (degree)
Sustainability (degree)
Corporate Sustainability and Innovation Certificate
Environmental Policy and International Development Certificate
Natural Resource Management and Sustainable Ecosystems Certificate
Sustainability Certificate
Sustainable Cities & Communities Certificate
Sustainable Food Systems Certificate

Finally, if you have 7 weeks this summer and want to take undergraduate science in person: https://www.extension.harvard.edu/premedical-program

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GPA and Transferring Credits nosideedison 9 3,961 10-10-2020, 07:35 AM
Last Post: nosideedison