Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
uexcel Contemporary Mathematics vs. TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics?
My son needs two math courses. He just finished College Algebra with Sophia. Yay!  He's not mathy and had previously given up on ALEKS and SL, but had been studying for the CLEP, so it was good timing with Sophia. He had planned to then take the CLEP Mathematics, but with all the centers in NY closed for CLEP and DSST due to COVID 19, it will be at least another month before they might open. He wants to test soon so he doesn't forget what he's studied.  So we are looking at the TECEP and UExcel. We have an open Pearson site near us, so either one could be managed. Which one would be the easiest to pass after his Sophia course? How do they compare and does anyone have any tips on preparing for these exams?  Thank you!
Sophia also has Statistics and it's free until July 31st. I'm also in NY and will be heading into phase 4 on Friday. No CLEP testing centers are open here and there's no opening date for them. After Sophia, look at Study.com for math. Cheaper than TECEP and UExcel. UExcel can't be taken either because the tests are at Pearson's Testing Centers which are also closed due to COVID.
(06-23-2020, 10:08 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Sophia also has Statistics and it's free until July 31st. I'm also in NY and will be heading into phase 4 on Friday. No CLEP testing centers are open here and there's no opening date for them. After Sophia, look at Study.com for math. Cheaper than TECEP and UExcel. UExcel can't be taken either because the tests are at Pearson's Testing Centers which are also closed due to COVID.
Yeah, he thought about Statistics, but he's already studied for the CLEP and math is daunting to him :-)  I think our Pearson Center is open, at least it was on May 1st. so assuming it still is open.
SDC is a pretty easy route to study for math. It's broken into small chunks, not unlike Sophia. And the videos are so friendly, it's hard to be daunted by them.
What school are you going to? That will make a difference on what math courses count as what.

I think the Liberal Arts Math TECEP was THE easiest math exam I've ever taken.

I also think that Study.com's College Math is supposed to be fairly easy.

You might also consider CSMLearn for $40.

Whatever else you do, I think it will be fairly easy to do after finishing College Algebra.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-24-2020, 11:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote: What school are you going to?  That will make a difference on what math courses count as what.

I think the Liberal Arts Math TECEP was THE easiest math exam I've ever taken.

I also think that Study.com's College Math is supposed to be fairly easy.

You might also consider CSMLearn for $40.

Whatever else you do, I think it will be fairly easy to do after finishing College Algebra.

He's going to RIT. All he needed to graduate was two more math courses and a lab. He will do the Rio Nutrition Lab since he already did the SL Nutrition and his advisor has approved it. RIT didn't used to take the CLEP Mathematics, only the Algebra, but his advisor told him a couple of months ago that he could now take it. So he had been studying for the CLEP when we found out about Sophia. He completed their Algebra and now wants to finish up his last math. CSMLearn is new to us - I guess we would have to check with his advisor to see if it would qualify for a math course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior is retiring UExcel exams! This month! dfrecore 24 6,061 03-17-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Technical Writing TECEP - My Experience PreLawCoastie 2 710 03-14-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Public Speaking TECEP PreLawCoastie 0 218 02-27-2024, 07:23 AM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  TECEP FIN-3210 Security Analysis & Portfolio Management fmsoa 2 485 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity PreLawCoastie 10 1,001 01-11-2024, 06:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 299 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Managerial Comm TECEP saraholson 7 1,691 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  TECEP Federal Income Taxation Kones 9 906 12-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Help - how to register for TECEP exam? Carnation 4 367 11-23-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  Learning in the Digital Age TECEP Avidreader 0 241 11-22-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Avidreader