Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
untimed math?
Are there any math options that don't require timed exams?  What I'd really like to take is Intro to Stats, because it's useful for my field, but I really suck at math.  To the point that I'm actually beginning to wonder if I have mild dyscalculia (kind of like dyslexia but with math and time and space).  I can handle math concepts just fine, but when I start to do actual figuring, my thoughts start to jumble.  I don't have any kind of official diagnosis, so I don't think I can get an accommodation through school.  But I'm starting to question my ability to pass a necessary math class.  I've been working through the problem sets for the introductory math assessment at Liberty, and I've actually failed to pass even the fractions section.   Blush  (I got a good score on the math portion of my SAT a million years ago, so I don't think I used to struggle *this* much, although I have always had significant issues with "careless" errors, especially when having to do a lot of switching between problem types.)

I was thinking to just go ahead and take the course through school, but I think I might prefer to take something external (like StraighterLine) that will transfer, so my one math class doesn't destroy my GPA. Wink

For context, I'm better at geometry than algebra, except where proofs are involved, I think because my issue is the appearance of actual equations/symbols.  For instance, when I started through the Saylor stats course, I was following the material just fine until they put it in the form of an equation, and then everything just seemed to "swim" and I couldn't make sense of it anymore.

I just need the easiest thing I can pass that Liberty will accept in transfer as general ed math credit.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
If you want to actually learn Stats, but don't need it for your degree, I highly recommend Khan Academy. It's free, you can take your time, there are no exams, and you actually learn the material.

If you want to take the lowest level math to be able to transfer it into a degree, Study.com is probably your best bet. They have the lowest level math available that's not CLEP/DSST, and I find them "mom brain" friendly. I was always good at math in school, but now that I've been out of school for a million years, it's much harder for me to grasp than it used to be.

I advise every kid I know who is going from HS to college to continue on with math and not to let even a semester pass them by. Get what you need to graduate before you stop, because it is the hardest thing to pick back up after you've been out of it for even a short while.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • a2jc4life, Muldoon
Thank you!!
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

https://liberty.sophia.org/#courses

https://liberty.sophia.org/online-course...statistics

https://phoenix.sophia.org/online-course...statistics

I took the ashford univ. version of this course and it transferred into TESU as STA-201. It looks like Liberty has an agreement with Sophia. I think that the final test is timed, but I thought that it was pretty doable. This can be added to an ACE transcript if Liberty accepts credits that way. I took the Ashford course because it is $49 and I used a coupon to get it for free.

Since it is free on the U. of Phoenix site, you can take it there first to get good at it and then do the Liberty version.
[-] The following 3 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • a2jc4life, davewill, Yenisei
We just learned today that most of ALEKS's courses got extensions to 7/31/2018, so unless there are big changes to their setup over there, ALEKS might fit this description now
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • bluebooger
(04-30-2018, 02:31 PM)jsd Wrote: We just learned today that most of ALEKS's courses got extensions to 7/31/2018, so unless there are big changes to their setup over there, ALEKS might fit this description now

http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseactio...CE=1004997

https://www.aleks.com/about_aleks/ace_credit
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • a2jc4life
Yay!  Happy dance!
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,793 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 1,012 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com Math 108: Discrete Mathematics - Optional Quiz and final exam Titan_s 5 2,118 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: simonbellfi
  Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) ) acamp 48 8,907 07-08-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Math Course Giantzebra 18 3,483 05-29-2022, 10:47 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Coopersmith Upper Level Math? eriehiker 19 4,818 05-27-2022, 08:06 PM
  Study.com Discrete Math prereqs decibel 18 3,719 03-16-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Algebra - which provider for math idiot back2schoolin22 8 1,346 02-02-2022, 08:40 PM
  SDC | Discrete Math akr680 2 1,261 08-16-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Math Question lidel 8 1,044 06-17-2021, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lidel