Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upper level advice
I am currently banging out what I can at Sophia while they are free.  Heres my question.  Currently my job pays for 6 credits a semester at a few local state and city schools.  Is there any upper level classes I should take to take advantage of the free schooling?  Does it matter what upper level classes I take to fulfill the Liberal Arts requirement?

Thanks,
Mike
You need UL credit, so yes, you'll need to take some - but where you go makes a difference as well. What school?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-20-2020, 01:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You need UL credit, so yes, you'll need to take some - but where you go makes a difference as well.  What school?

This is my problem.  I cannot decide if its worth me going to one of the Big 3, WGU, or transfer everything I have already to Empire State College because thats a school my job pays for.  They take 90 transfer credits into there degree programs at Empire State and I have already taken 20 there already.  Was thinking it could be cheaper to go there since I would not have to pay all those graduation fees and capstone, cornerstone classes but will obviously take me a little longer then the big three.  Do you recommend I transfer all my transcripts to the Big 3 and WGU before finishing all my Sophia courses?  I have transcripts from all over. (NYC Police Academy, FEMA, Frederick (FEMA), Empire State College, Saint Leo University, Clep & Sophia)   This is the first time out of the 10 years I have been on this board that I am actually moving forward in my college life.  lol  Better late then never.  Maybe I just feel overwhelmed a bit because of have credits everywhere.  I have sent transcripts over years ago to each of the big 3 but obviously there have been a lot of changes since then.

Sorry about my ramble,
Mike
Hmm, yeah, decisions... I would recommend finishing all the Sophia.org classes you can that don't duplicate your current credits. Then apply to the Big 3/WGU with your credits and see who gives you the most. You should get at least 90 credits, you can take the Upper-Level course requirements at Empire State if you can get them free. How many UL credits does Empire State require? I assume 30 credits like COSC or Excelsior, TESU just needs the 18 credits and the Capstone already counts for 3...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-20-2020, 02:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, yeah, decisions... I would recommend finishing all the Sophia.org classes you can that don't duplicate your current credits.  Then apply to the Big 3/WGU with your credits and see who gives you the most.  You should get at least 90 credits, you can take the Upper-Level course requirements at Empire State if you can get them free.  How many UL credits does Empire State require? I assume 30 credits like COSC or Excelsior, TESU just needs the 18 credits and the Capstone already counts for 3...

Here was my Charter Oak eval I did two years ago.  Obviously, I know a lot has probably changed since then.

Attached Files
.pdf   charter oak evaluation.pdf (Size: 1.95 MB / Downloads: 20)
If your company will pay for SUNY-Empire, you should go there. They allow for ACE credits as part of the 90cr transfer, so you should DEFINITELY do a plan for them.

What degree were you looking at? They have the Interdisciplinary/Multidisciplinary degree there which is just like the BALS/BSLS degrees, so if you need that, they have it. And if you already have 20cr of residency, then you'd be crazy not to stay.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • hsfamfun, ss20ts
(04-20-2020, 01:34 PM)mdel210201 Wrote: I am currently banging out what I can at Sophia while they are free.  Heres my question.  Currently my job pays for 6 credits a semester at a few local state and city schools.  Is there any upper level classes I should take to take advantage of the free schooling?  Does it matter what upper level classes I take to fulfill the Liberal Arts requirement?

Thanks,
Mike

I think people sometimes get distracted by all the big 3 information once they find this forum.

However, Your job will pay for a school that takes ACE credit?  I would be jumping for joy!  Send the school your transcripts and start working on a degree plan!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
(04-20-2020, 04:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If your company will pay for SUNY-Empire, you should go there.  They allow for ACE credits as part of the 90cr transfer, so you should DEFINITELY do a plan for them.

What degree were you looking at?  They have the Interdisciplinary/Multidisciplinary degree there which is just like the BALS/BSLS degrees, so if you need that, they have it.  And if you already have 20cr of residency, then you'd be crazy not to stay.

I was going to go for the Liberal Arts degree plan because I felt it was the most liberal (no pun intended) with the classes I could take.  I would love to possibly have a business or finance degree if doable in a reasonable amount of time.  All and all, speed is probably most import first for me.  I currently I am registered to be able to take classes the summer.  I had to register as a non degree seeking student for the time being just to be able to register for summer classes.  Could I lets say take upper level finance and or business classes that would also fit into a Liberal Arts degree?

One other thing.  Although, they take ACE credit, they seem to be limited to only 4 or so Sophia classes.  Is it possible they would still take Sophia classes that are listed on their transfer page?

This is what they say they take on their transfer page https://www.esc.edu/degree-planning-acad...t-project/

Thanks again for all your suggestions.  I really appreciate it.
(04-21-2020, 08:45 AM)mdel210201 Wrote:
(04-20-2020, 04:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If your company will pay for SUNY-Empire, you should go there.  They allow for ACE credits as part of the 90cr transfer, so you should DEFINITELY do a plan for them.

What degree were you looking at?  They have the Interdisciplinary/Multidisciplinary degree there which is just like the BALS/BSLS degrees, so if you need that, they have it.  And if you already have 20cr of residency, then you'd be crazy not to stay.

I was going to go for the Liberal Arts degree plan because I felt it was the most liberal (no pun intended) with the classes I could take.  I would love to possibly have a business or finance degree if doable in a reasonable amount of time.  All and all, speed is probably most import first for me.  I currently I am registered to be able to take classes the summer.  I had to register as a non degree seeking student for the time being just to be able to register for summer classes.  Could I lets say take upper level finance and or business classes that would also fit into a Liberal Arts degree?

One other thing.  Although, they take ACE credit, they seem to be limited to only 4 or so Sophia classes.  Is it possible they would still take Sophia classes that are listed on their transfer page?

This is what they say they take on their transfer page https://www.esc.edu/degree-planning-acad...t-project/

Thanks again for all your suggestions.  I really appreciate it.

You're looking specifically at the Alternative Credit Project, which is a part of ACE but separate from it, and is now defunct.

I would apply and sent your ACE transcripts there sooner rather than later.
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • alab21, hsfamfun

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,743 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 1,001 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 525 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 669 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 661 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 473 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,587 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 596 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  Level 5 from UK, what have been your experiences? elcastor21 3 472 09-19-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,205 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia