Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
using pel grant and subsidized loans questions?/ taking courses question
Hey so I am currently at a CC and I took out a subsidized loan for 3500. now my question is I am thinking about taking my courses through cosc possibly. but I am worried that if I transfer my credits then I would have to start paying back that loan right now.

so now I am thinking. In order to satisfy fafsa requirments. maybe I can just take 2 upper level classes online and just test out of all gen ed. i think that would satisfy the loan requirements. could I take upper level courses online without taking

also how could i utilize my pel grant in order to get the best benefits?

I have started aleks already.
i currently have 37 credits the goal would be to get through as much in a years time.
If you are taking classes at least half time, then your loans will go into deferment. Half time is 6 credits per semester. I didn't have to do anything when taking classes are my CC or COSC, the loans automatically switched status. It doesn't happen right away, but did within a couple of weeks of the start of the semester. Remember unsubsidized loans accrue interest will in deferment. To defer for a year, you would need to take 2 classes in the fall and 2 classes in the spring. Summer is split between fall and spring semesters.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

ajs1976 Wrote:If you are taking classes at least half time, then your loans will go into deferment. Half time is 6 credits per semester. I didn't have to do anything when taking classes are my CC or COSC, the loans automatically switched status. It doesn't happen right away, but did within a couple of weeks of the start of the semester. Remember unsubsidized loans accrue interest will in deferment. To defer for a year, you would need to take 2 classes in the fall and 2 classes in the spring. Summer is split between fall and spring semesters.

thank you very much. very good to know.
yb1 Wrote:thank you very much. very good to know.

Paying for the Bachelor's Degree

To maximize your aid - take courses through a cheap CC like New Mexico Junior College, Luna Community College (up to 6 credits at $35/credit hour), or Clovis Community College. They're dirt cheap in tuition as low as $35 credit hour. Find ebooks online for free and save the remainder you get in Pell Grants.
yb1 Wrote:Hey so I am currently at a CC and I took out a subsidized loan for 3500. now my question is I am thinking about taking my courses through cosc possibly. but I am worried that if I transfer my credits then I would have to start paying back that loan right now.

so now I am thinking. In order to satisfy fafsa requirments. maybe I can just take 2 upper level classes online and just test out of all gen ed. i think that would satisfy the loan requirements. could I take upper level courses online without taking

also how could i utilize my pel grant in order to get the best benefits?

I have started aleks already.
i currently have 37 credits the goal would be to get through as much in a years time.

You can only receive aid for 1 school at a time, so you wouldn't lose it, but you'd have to enroll at COSC and take classes there to keep yourself from entering repayment. Also, since you qualify for a Pell, my opinion is to not accumulate any costs beyond that $5500ish per year. That Pell will renew until you graduate, so there is no reason to take on any more debt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,662 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,452 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 5,128 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,091 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,655 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,717 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 2,009 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,739 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,082 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,982 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin