Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do you think about this article concerning tuition?
What you think of this article and poll concerning tuition in the USA?

80% Think Lower Tuition Costs Would Help Students More Than Easier Loan Access - Rasmussen Reports™
A lot of schools seem to have their tuition keyed to financial aid. Isn't this U of P's business model? Smile

I think the widespread access to federally insured loans is the real culprit. The lender has no concern about being paid back, the consumer (often) seems oblivious to the real nature and cost of the loans, and it's all being done with "other peoples money".

I really believe that if you reformed the loan process the market would self correct in terms of price.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:A lot of schools seem to have their tuition keyed to financial aid. Isn't this U of P's business model? Smile

I think the widespread access to federally insured loans is the real culprit. The lender has no concern about being paid back, the consumer (often) seems oblivious to the real nature and cost of the loans, and it's all being done with "other peoples money".

I really believe that if you reformed the loan process the market would self correct in terms of price.

Agreed, but in order to do this they'll have to allow charging off bad loans in bankruptcy proceedings again.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Here's a different twist. Young female university students finding their sugar-daddy to pay their way through school. There are even websites sugar-babies and sugar-daddy's to hook them up. There is even a ranking of the top 20 schools with the most prevalent sugar-daddy's. The girls deny it is prostitution. I think this is crazy! Florida colleges rank high in ‘sugar daddies’ paying student tuition - Florida - MiamiHerald.com

I'm not sure if this is better than taking out a loan, but at least they aren't abusing the federal Pell grant system, which I see on a daily basis. It makes me crazy the way that multi-generations of a family have lived off Pell Grant money without ever obtaining a degree. One case I know of went on for 28 yrs! That's a lot of tax payer money lost.

I would like to see more community colleges step up and offer bachelor's degrees for far less than universities charge. That will help the communities, business, the community colleges which are struggling.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
There is now a lifetime limit on Pell Grants. I don't see how one can live off of less than $5,000 a year, though. CCs had and still have the power to curb abuse by limiting the number of credits and degrees a student can earn.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I think part of the reason gvt feels compelled to "help" with the college problem (whatever that means) is that they "this close' to the idea that everyone SHOULD HAVE a college degree in the same way they orchestrated that everyone should have a high school diploma. The politics are too much for me to think about this morning, I'm only on my 1st cup of coffee...but it's crap. If you level everyone, then that pushes the educational requirements UP for the industry. Look at nursing, you used to be able to obtain a diploma for your RN (legally you still can). Then Associate degree became the norm (inside of 40 years, we're not talking 100 years ago) now its the BSN. Every Magnet hospital needs BSN holder-nurses. Up and up and up.
Culinary, previously an apprenticeship, now as normed the associate degree. Only 5 (!) years ago there were exactly 2 colleges offering bachelor's degrees in culinary arts. Now, that's evolving and it'll be the new norm in my lifetime no doubt.
I can think of 10 more occupations taking this path right now! Is it better? That remains to be seen. It does, however, REQUIRE kids to enroll in college and take out student loans- even if they don't finish!
I have a slightly different view. The financial aid limits are a bit high, but aid is there for those who only want associate's degrees and trade school certificates. It is up to the individual to go further and take on more debt. The employers are the ones driving up the degree requirements. I don't see anything wrong with everyone having at least a high school diploma; they don't have to take on debt for that. With us now being a knowledge economy, it's hard to get by with just a high school diploma let alone without one.

There is a member of another forum I participate in who has a very interesting view on the rising tuition rates. He believes they are actually historically low in comparison to the average income earned. He thinks that things are returning to normal. In this, the poorly qualified would be discouraged to attend college because only the highly intelligent we be able to earn scholarships at the top universities.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
This is the old Economics third-party payer problem. "Free" money artificially inflates the market demand driving up education related costs.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:This is the old Economics third-party payer problem. "Free" money artificially inflates the market demand driving up education related costs.

I tend to agree with this. Remember how "easy" home mortgages drove up property values? Now look at what has happened.
TESTS PASSED

Intro to Law Enforcement (70) DSST, Criminal Justice (461) DSST, US History 1 (71) CLEP, US History 2 (66) CLEP, Civil War & Reconstruction (67) DSST
Business Ethics & Society (447) DSST, Principles of Management (65) CLEP, Principles of Supervision (450) DSST, Organizational Behavior (60) DSST
Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (56) DSST, Intro to World Religions (469) DSST, Management Info Systems (448) DSST, Prin of MACROeconomics (63)
Prin of MICROeconomics (64) CLEP, Labor Relations (A) ECE, HR Management (B) ECE, Principles of Financial Accounting(65) DSST, Prin of Finance (408) Money and Banking (52) DSST

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 427 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Discounted Tuition & COVID-19 jinsoo 5 1,472 07-05-2020, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Article/stats supporting increased education for officers MNomadic 2 785 06-19-2020, 02:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Knoxville College free tuition withrown 4 1,743 08-29-2019, 03:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Article: Moving From 5% to 85% Completion Rates for Online Courses PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 1 1,141 06-12-2019, 01:32 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Purdue University Global: 2018 Article Exploring Purdue's Agreement with Kaplan PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 2 1,109 05-23-2019, 07:40 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  New York May Offer Free Tuition Soon yb1 23 5,737 01-05-2019, 02:36 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Bennett Hypothesis: Financial Aid Increases Tuition sanantone 60 7,267 07-01-2018, 05:34 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Seemed like a good deal, Name Brand assoc. School low tuition Unv. of Ark. but not frank.f.franky 9 2,955 06-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Non- Regionally Accredited College w/ Very High Tuition OakLakeNC 1 1,152 01-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Last Post: jsd