Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which Nat or Reg ranked unis accept alternative credit?
My daughter is scheduled to graduate (homeschool) high school soon, thanks to the college level, ACE-approved, courses Sophia is offering.  Sophia has been a life-saver for us, even though we've had some hiccups along the way, because our Internet bandwidth will not permit ProctorU and SDC to run simultaneously.  Until our library opens, exams proctored by ProctorU and the like will be very difficult for us.  Sophia is major consideration for my daughter obtaining credits in the coming year and subsequently graduating from a 4 year uni/college.

Her post bachelor degree educational goal is a masters in Clinical Psychology at an APA-accredited uni or masters in Sociology or Social Work at a LSWC-accredited uni.  State licensure is required to practice either of these professions in most states in the USA.  Only certain universities in the US have accredited master programs which, upon graduation, afford students the opportunity to sit for their state licensing exams.  While we haven't checked student profiles or acceptance rates for those unis, it seems reasonable to assume these are competitive programs.

In an attempt to combat potential admissions bias (against credits earned via alternative sources) at the masters level, we're focusing on RA unis/colleges which are nationally or regionally ranked. 

Nonetheless, we're still giving a tiny bit of consideration to the Big 3, but they're near the bottom of her list of options.  We're hoping better options may be some of the institutions listed as Sophia's Degree Pathway Partners:  https://www.sophia.org/online-courses-fo...ing-credit.  I researched each institution listed as a Sophia Degree Pathway Partner.  Below, I have listed their national rank or regional rank, based on the data presented by US News: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/search

Institutions not ranked regionally or nationally AND not offering bachelor degrees in Psychology or Sociology, are not listed here.

Nat = nationally.  Reg = regionally.  The number scheme was copied from US News' website.
NATIONAL RANKINGS:  
* Bennett C:  Nat #164-#215 | Psychology, Social Work
* Cheyney U:  Nat 164-215 | Psychology, Sociology
* Lane C:  Nat 164-215 | Sociology
* Liberty U: Nat 293-381 | Psychology, Social Work
* Regis U:  Nat 202 | Applied Psychology, Psychology, Sociology

REGIONAL RANKINGS:
* Alabama State:  Reg 87 | Psychology, Sociology, Soc & Criminal Justice
* Indiana Wesleyan U:  Reg 25 | Psychology of Human Relations, Social Work
* Philander Smith C:  Reg 41 | Psychology, Sociology, Social Work
* SNHU: Reg 92 | Human Services, Psychology, Sociology
* Upper Iowa U: Reg 117-153 | Psychology, Sociology  **Self-paced (very exciting!!)
* Wilberforce U: Reg 55-70 | Psychology, Sociology, Social Work

Anyone earned (or earning) a degree from any of the above institutions using some alternative credit, preferably ACE sources such Sophia and SDC along with some RA sources, then used that degree to get into a graduate program at a well-known B&M, nationally ranked uni/college?    

Did I miss some nationally or regionally ranked unis that will accept ACE-approved credits for 60 credits?

As a last alternative, she could get a degree from a Big 3 school and subsequently get a second 4-year degree or graduate degree from a major uni, prior to applying to one of the APA-accredited unis.  However, this seems like a waste of energy and money if she's willing to get RA credits and transfer them to a nationally ranked or a regionally ranked institution.

Thoughts?
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
I know that we've got some SNHU students on this forum but I don't know about anything else.
check with CUNY

https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/undergrad...r-learning

they accept Saylor, so no harm asking if they would accept Sophia/SDC
[-] The following 1 user Likes nyvrem's post:
  • nomaduser
Thank you Rachel.  I was hoping some SNHU folks and non-Big 3 folks would chime in.

Nyvrem, thank you!  Good idea.  I will check.
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
My alma mater, New England College, is regionally ranked (129-170) & accepts alternative credit pretty generously.
BABA, New England College, 2019
I know Liberty, Upper Iowa and SNHU all take ACE credit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rvm
(08-14-2020, 06:19 PM)harrypotter Wrote: My alma mater, New England College, is regionally ranked (129-170) & accepts alternative credit pretty generously.

Thank you Harrypotter!  I searched the website as well as used google advanced search to search the NEC wesbite.  I didn't see alternative credit, except CLEP.  I wonder if they are still accepting ACE credits?
Robin
Member since 2008

(08-14-2020, 08:26 PM)rvm Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 06:19 PM)harrypotter Wrote: My alma mater, New England College, is regionally ranked (129-170) & accepts alternative credit pretty generously.

Thank you Harrypotter!  I searched the website as well as used google advanced search to search the NEC wesbite.  I didn't see alternative credit, except CLEP.  I wonder if they are still accepting ACE credits?

Their catalog is a bit hard to access. They do accept ACE & NCCRS credit. I've transferred study.com/sophia/ & onlinedegree.com courses into my BA successfully. They also accept NA credit. Here's their policy on transfer credit: https://catalog.nec.edu/content.php?cato...navoid=630
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes harrypotter's post:
  • rvm
(08-14-2020, 07:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I know Liberty, Upper Iowa and SNHU all take ACE credit.

Thank you Dfrecore!   I'm hoping current students or recent, former students from these unis will chime in with their experiences, especially concerning Sophia and other sources of alternative credit.
Robin
Member since 2008

(08-14-2020, 08:38 PM)harrypotter Wrote:

Their catalog is a bit hard to access. They do accept ACE & NCCRS credit. I've transferred study.com/sophia/ & onlinedegree.com courses into my BA successfully. They also accept NA credit. Here's their policy on transfer credit: https://catalog.nec.edu/content.php?cato...navoid=630

Very helpful! Thank you!

(08-14-2020, 08:38 PM)harrypotter Wrote:

Very helpful! Thank you!
Robin
Member since 2008

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,503 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,930 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  Alternative to Metropolia fcfcfc 6 689 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 694 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 482 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 528 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  2D Cad/Technical Drawing Credit Eligible Courses flamewerks 0 331 10-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: flamewerks
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 21 1,764 09-26-2023, 12:00 PM