Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
will CCAF accept AARTS credit?
My base education office was unable to answer this for me so I was hoping someone here would. I am former Army but have recently joined the Air Force. My Ace credit from AARTS would satisfy my final 9 credits for my CCAF degree but will CCAF accept AARTS credit? If they wont is there any work around?
Personally I would call or email CCAF directly. Below is the official link.

USAF Air University: Community College of the Air Force
I would think they would, everything on the AARTS is ACE recommended.

P.S. I'm jealous, I tried to do the AF Reserve (prior Army myself) and pretty much got told to .... off, in only slightly more polite terms. Upset me a bit, I worked under AF for the last 4 years I was AD and really enjoyed it. Worked in two different AFSCs (jobs the Army doesn't have), plus my own, had support from many AD SNCOs (mostly MSgts, a couple SMSgt and a Chief)... wouldn't even give me the time of day.
CCAF evaluates AARTS and SMARTS transcripts based on applicability towards your particular career field degree program. Call them and ask to speak to the program manager for your degree program, then ask him or her specific questions. It can't hurt to send it in though.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
valsacar Wrote:I would think they would, everything on the AARTS is ACE recommended.

P.S. I'm jealous, I tried to do the AF Reserve (prior Army myself) and pretty much got told to .... off, in only slightly more polite terms. Upset me a bit, I worked under AF for the last 4 years I was AD and really enjoyed it. Worked in two different AFSCs (jobs the Army doesn't have), plus my own, had support from many AD SNCOs (mostly MSgts, a couple SMSgt and a Chief)... wouldn't even give me the time of day.

Are you saying you couldn't join the AF Reserve, or you couldn't get a CCAF degree? Not being able to join the Reserve seems like crap, but not being eligible for a CCAF degree can be entirely legit because they have to deal with SACS accreditation requirements regarding faculty training and qualifications, class quality (as defined by SACS), etc. Sister service students can and do qualify but they have to attend AF training (tech school or leadership schools) to have a shot at all.

CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems

UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

dcan Wrote:Are you saying you couldn't join the AF Reserve, or you couldn't get a CCAF degree? Not being able to join the Reserve seems like crap, but not being eligible for a CCAF degree can be entirely legit because they have to deal with SACS accreditation requirements regarding faculty training and qualifications, class quality (as defined by SACS), etc. Sister service students can and do qualify but they have to attend AF training (tech school or leadership schools) to have a shot at all.

Couldn't join the reserves. I'm overseas as a contractor and my MOS no longer converts directly to an AFSC. Since I would be an IMA I wouldn't really have a reserve unit to pay for retraining (nor could I really get away with that much time off from work).

I did sit down and do some research (growing up with a mother in law school, you learn a thing or two about researching) and found a way. AFCFM can waive the formal training requirements, but they rarely do it. Since I want to get into 3D0X3 (IT Security basically) I've looked at the certifications/experience/etc that I have and outlined a plan. I'm sitting for the CISSP exam in December (Bootcamp in November), going to cost me around 10k (less if I can get my company to foot some of the bill... I'm trying) but that should do it. Combine my MOS (25B), my degree (BS in IT, will be done in December), my work experience (many years in IT and security), and the top industry certification for IT Security/IA (plus quite a few others) and I should have a good chance at them accepting that I can operate at a 5 level (CISSP is at least 7 level work).
valsacar Wrote:Couldn't join the reserves. I'm overseas as a contractor and my MOS no longer converts directly to an AFSC. Since I would be an IMA I wouldn't really have a reserve unit to pay for retraining (nor could I really get away with that much time off from work).

I did sit down and do some research (growing up with a mother in law school, you learn a thing or two about researching) and found a way. AFCFM can waive the formal training requirements, but they rarely do it. Since I want to get into 3D0X3 (IT Security basically) I've looked at the certifications/experience/etc that I have and outlined a plan. I'm sitting for the CISSP exam in December (Bootcamp in November), going to cost me around 10k (less if I can get my company to foot some of the bill... I'm trying) but that should do it. Combine my MOS (25B), my degree (BS in IT, will be done in December), my work experience (many years in IT and security), and the top industry certification for IT Security/IA (plus quite a few others) and I should have a good chance at them accepting that I can operate at a 5 level (CISSP is at least 7 level work).

I would be very interested in knowing if they waive you in like that. Didn't know they would do that. Just be sure you meet the DoD8570 certification requirements for the AFSC, sounds like you do but make sure all the right squares are filled and knock 'em dead.

Good luck!

dcan Wrote:I would be very interested in knowing if they waive you in like that. Didn't know they would do that. Just be sure you meet the DoD8570 certification requirements for the AFSC, sounds like you do but make sure all the right squares are filled and knock 'em dead.

Good luck!

I already meet 8570 requirements for level 1 and 2, CISSP will give me level 3. It is in the AFI and CTE... whatever that it CAN be done, the question is WILL they. Only one way to find out.
Update I was able to find someone at base education that would help me. It turns out that CCAF is very picky about AARTS transcripts. Out of all my recommended credit they would only take 4 hours (PLDC). This took me down to 5 hour and I was able to clep management to bring my total down to just 3 hours in speech.
My only complaint about all this is that my bachelors degree accepted my army speech credit but that its not good enough for CCAF, looks like I will be taking the speech DANTES next wish me luck.
hbtaylor Wrote:Update I was able to find someone at base education that would help me. It turns out that CCAF is very picky about AARTS transcripts. Out of all my recommended credit they would only take 4 hours (PLDC). This took me down to 5 hour and I was able to clep management to bring my total down to just 3 hours in speech.
My only complaint about all this is that my bachelors degree accepted my army speech credit but that its not good enough for CCAF, looks like I will be taking the speech DANTES next wish me luck.

Sorry to hear that. CCAF has to deal with some sticky SACS requirements that sometimes cause issues. Your college may have accepted it as something akin to TESC accepting a PLA, whereas CCAF doesn't have that kind of option. The courses have to be either taught by the AF, accredited, or approved on a case-by-case basis without causing accreditation problems.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Converting Dive training to Colleges credit vetvso 9 1,768 09-16-2022, 04:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 26,472 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Best options to finish my CCAF bthompson1638 8 10,197 08-04-2020, 10:36 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,702 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Navy BootCamp Credit natshar 9 2,340 03-31-2020, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,895 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CCAF is Ridiculous Sagan 3 3,122 03-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Another CCAF thread about alternative credits Tracker 9 4,863 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  HELP! Need CCAF in 19weeks blakedrinnen 4 2,822 02-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Last Post: retire2018
  Airforce ccaf - study.com retire2018 12 9,260 02-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Sagan