Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wish me luck...
on changing to EC from TESC. I am reconsidering my school plans thanks to some good advice from Alissaroot that really helped me to see what would be best for *me*.

I talked to an admissions advisor this morning, and I am feeling very good about the plan. I am up in the air as far as whether to go with a BS in Liberal Arts, or to do a BS in Psychology.

I am printing out the roadmap and will see if it looks like something that will utilize my existing credits.

Wish me luck!
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Good news! I was looking at Excelsior's website this morning, and it looks like they are waiving the enrollment fee for the school of Health Sciences! This is a huge savings of almost $900. Isn't that the degree you were interested in pursuing originally? Here's the link: https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...H_SCIENCES This could be a great opportunity to get the degree you want, at a very reasonable cost, if you qualify for the program. I do think it is worth checking out, since you already work in the health care field, plus you already have so many credits. Even if you don't go this route, it is worth a look-see. I also think you will be happier with the customer service at EC. Choosing a degree is highly situational, and I don't want to push you into going to EC if I didn't really think you would be happier with their service, cost, and flexibility. I was going for a nudge there, not a shove. I can't wait to hear how it all works out for you! Good luck!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Mamasaphire Wrote:on changing to EC from TESC. I am reconsidering my school plans thanks to some good advice from Alissaroot that really helped me to see what would be best for *me*.

I talked to an admissions advisor this morning, and I am feeling very good about the plan. I am up in the air as far as whether to go with a BS in Liberal Arts, or to do a BS in Psychology.

I am printing out the roadmap and will see if it looks like something that will utilize my existing credits.

Wish me luck!
>>

If you go with TESC, there is one degree in between liberal arts and psychology- it's Social Science. That's what I did, and you can fill it with Psychology as well as Sociology, History, Anthropology, etc if interested.
<aaack!> Just when I finally thought I had my decision made, along comes another possibility!

LOL.

Well, I am not going to totally write off TESC then until I get both unofficial evals (TESC & EC) and see what I can do fastest/easiest.

Like I told Alissa, I have several small children so going in and testing is hard (requires a babysitter everytime at $24/test), and I don't want to take tests I won't be able to use... but I was thinking of taking sociology next since I think it'll apply to any of those degrees.

Thank you both so much for your input!!
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:<aaack!> Just when I finally thought I had my decision made, along comes another possibility!

LOL.

Well, I am not going to totally write off TESC then until I get both unofficial evals (TESC & EC) and see what I can do fastest/easiest.

Like I told Alissa, I have several small children so going in and testing is hard (requires a babysitter everytime at $24/test), and I don't want to take tests I won't be able to use... but I was thinking of taking sociology next since I think it'll apply to any of those degrees.

>>

I don't know if it's possible with your schedule, but there are a few tests that I think can both be done in the same day. I don't know if it saves you any $ or costs more stress :eek: but it might be an option.
Well I don't know if my old brain is flexible enough for that, lol. And I hate to leave my youngest for too long. And I pay by the hour ($8/hr) for the babysitter, so I think all that I'd save is some drive time. But it might be an option if it's a test/subject I feel comfortable enough with... thank you!
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

I just finished taking this test and the material I studied did not help much. I passed with a grade of 450 but did not feel good when taking the test. The questions were nothing like the ones at Instacert. Many questions are common sense but others are not. Don't take this class lightly or you may get a bad surprise. Good luck.
cookderosa Wrote:>>

If you go with TESC, there is one degree in between liberal arts and psychology- it's Social Science. That's what I did, and you can fill it with Psychology as well as Sociology, History, Anthropology, etc if interested.

Hello everyone.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm new here. I'm trying to start on a degree program and hope to test out of some courses. But I can't afford to get a BA or BS with no market value because I can't say if I'd be able to go to graduate school when I finish the BA. As far as Social Science degrees being in between does that mean that a degree in psychology looks better to future employers?

Many have told me that sociology, social science and liberal studies degrees have a reputation among employers as being worth little. That's very discouraging since I've just started studying for a BA, but it's better to kniow the truth. But is the same true with undergraduate psychology degrees?

From an employment standpoint--Is a BA in psychology considered better than a BA in Social Sciences liberal studies or sociology? (I'm considering Thomas Edison online.) Or are they all the same, meaning they will get an entry level job offer and I'd have to work my way up.

Many thanks for any thoughts or any replies on this matter.
Mamasaphire Wrote:<aaack!> Just when I finally thought I had my decision made, along comes another possibility!

LOL.

I did the same thing - applied to both TESC and Excelsior and then did a CBA on what they both came back with on the evals with regard to both cost and time for the particular degrees I was interested in.

Bottom line on cost, my analysis showed that for the same cost and within the same timeframe as 1 Associates + 1 Bachelors at Excelsior, I could get 2 Bachelors at TESC. Actually, I could squeak in 1 BA + 1 ASBA + 1 BSBA at TESC within the 12 month enrollment, but that would mean putting off applying for the 2nd Bachelors for an extra quarter, which I'm not convinced is worthwhile.

With regard to time, as of this week, I've managed to complete the entire BA in Psychology from TESC in 4 months of relentless testing. Since I actually enrolled in TESC just 2 months ago, that leaves me 10 full months to complete the BSBA/Gen Mgmt and have them both done within a single enrolled year (though I'm aiming for June application/Sept graduation for that degree). I would not have been able to do this within the same timeframe with Excelsior due to their slightly different requirements for the same degrees.

It's widely known that TESC's customer service is not the best, but they are getting better, and their flexibility on credit options is unbeatable, IMO. I admittedly grumble about their enrollment fee for what are basically just transcription services, and I joke about their unofficial mascot being a turtle, but in the end, I'm very glad that I chose to enroll with TESC because their flexibility allowed me to blast through 120+ credits in 4 months and reach the 1st of my 2 big goals for the year quickly and fairly painlessly. Everyone's situation is different, of course, but this is what worked out for me.
[SIZE="1"]
TESC, BA Psychology (Done, Graduation June 2009)
TESC, BSBA/Gen Mgmt. (In Progress)

CLEP: Freshman Col Comp 77| Info Systems & Apps 74| Intro to Psych 79| A. & I. Literature 79| Principles of Marketing 76| Human Growth & Dev. 74| Intro to Ed. Psych 74| Biology 74| Sociology 77| Natural Sciences 69| English Comp w/ Essay 59| Macroeconomics 70| Microeconomics 69
DSST: Mgmt. Info Systems 466| Environment & Humanity 71| Organizational Behavior 73| Astronomy 72| Technical Writing 65| General Anthropology 73| Human/Cultural Geography 70| Physical Geology 58| Fundamentals of Counseling 74| Ethics in America 467
ALEKS: Business Statistics| Intro to Statistics| Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
TECEP: Behavior Mod. Techniques| Psych of Personality| Experimental Psych| Social Psych| Psych of Women | Abnormal Psych
12 Asstd. FEMAs

Current/Up Next:
DSSTs Substance Abuse, Prin. of Supervision & Human Res. Mgmt.
ALEKS PreCalculus
[/SIZE]
lwmcc, you amaze me with your schedule. Relentless is right! Unfortunately I won't be able to do it quite so fast with my present circumstances, but good luck on your plans!!
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DAU and the Big 3, Any luck? Prloko 9 1,250 03-25-2015, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  Wish me Luck ... MRHTOAD76 12 1,170 02-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  No luck in requesting PHR credential from HRCI heather102581 0 575 07-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Last Post: heather102581