Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
xamk Free Bachelors Degrees
(09-25-2023, 07:04 PM)Tomas Wrote: Admittedly Finnish is not what most would could call an easy language.

It's not. But XAMK, at least, is really eager to have foreign students succeed in Finnish. I'm constantly getting emails about tutoring sessions or language exchanges (among other regular university-related emails). Someone who has an affinity for languages ought to be able to succeed with this kind of assistance.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If you're not familiar with Finnish, can't you still go into the XAMK, Metropolia and other programs that are offered in English? I would just continue on with whatever that you're interested in as long as you're able to learn something and fill some knowledge gaps with those inexpensive options offered by Finnish institutions. The main goal is the learning, secondary would be having a cert, diploma, or a degree...

Especially since a previous thread mentioned the credits from Finnish institutions such as XAMK, Metropolia, were evaluated by WES as equivalent to RA. I am thinking other AICE and NACES evaluators may be jumping onto the bandwagon anytime soon...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-11-2023, 08:07 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If you're not familiar with Finnish, can't you still go into the XAMK, Metropolia and other programs that are offered in English? I would just continue on with whatever that you're interested in as long as you're able to learn something and fill some knowledge gaps with those inexpensive options offered by Finnish institutions. The main goal is the learning, secondary would be having a cert, diploma, or a degree...

Especially since a previous thread mentioned the credits from Finnish institutions such as XAMK, Metropolia, were evaluated by WES as equivalent to RA. I am thinking other AICE and NACES evaluators may be jumping onto the bandwagon anytime soon...

Absolutely. It's just that students from outside the EU/EEA will have to pay more money if they don't get the Finnish-language scholarship. 6000€ for a Finnish degree is still cheaper than most American degrees.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Tomas
Even so, with the Metropolia offer, 3 years for EUR 579 for 180 ECTS and XAMK with the 60 ECTS Tourism Diploma, plus whatever else is out there, one can get the RA credits cheaper than attending most US colleges, it'll be useful for transfer to institutions that require foreign RA equivalents, these can fit the Excelsior/UMPI electives (up to 60 credits for the BSLA or BLS). It's a great deal for those who need the transfer credit or who are just starting to accumulate credit...

Has anybody tried to transfer Metropolia courses to SNHU? Not as electives but as computer science/IT courses.
Swedish universities are also free to EU residents/citizens (I think Norway is too, and Iceland is extremely cheap, or at least it was over 10 years ago) and there are a few degrees you can get online, such as Japanese and (I think) some of the computer science related degrees. The site for all Swedish university studies is antagning.se (there is an English version you can get to). Some Swedish schools have 100% credit transfers between other Nordic schools but particularly Finnish ones because there are sometimes not enough classes on a subject in Finland itself to allow the Finnish students to get a degree without taking courses from Sweden.
The computer science options seem interesting, I'm not sure why you would get a Japanese degree from these universities, I would guess they'll have an accent (European) when teaching. But then again, my sister's Mandarin teacher wasn't Asian, so, it really depends... For East Asian languages, it may be better to immerse in the country in addition to taking classes.

(10-31-2023, 07:51 AM)nykorn Wrote: Swedish universities are also free to EU residents/citizens (I think Norway is too, and Iceland is extremely cheap, or at least it was over 10 years ago) and there are a few degrees you can get online, such as Japanese and (I think) some of the computer science related degrees. The site for all Swedish university studies is antagning.se (there is an English version you can get to). Some Swedish schools have 100% credit transfers between other Nordic schools but particularly Finnish ones because there are sometimes not enough classes on a subject in Finland itself to allow the Finnish students to get a degree without taking courses from Sweden.

Now that I think about it, my friend used to want to study an east Asian language like Chinese or Japanese and although I found some fully online Associate degree options for cheap here in California (tuition is like $46 per credit hour for in-state residents in basically any public California Community College that can really be waived with a state grant for low income students), I simply couldn't find any fully online Bachelor's degree options in the US, honestly. I did, however, find a Swedish university called Dalarna University that offers fully online Chinese and Japanese degrees (no Korean, though), but the tuition is only free for EU/EEA residents and the school isn't on the list of international universities that participate in financial aid, so we scrapped that option. 

In any case, language degrees tend to have a low return on investment and she realized she wanted to do accounting instead. I'm still trying to convince her to look at the advice here to finish her degree more easily...
(10-31-2023, 07:51 AM)nykorn Wrote: Swedish universities are also free to EU residents/citizens (I think Norway is too, and Iceland is extremely cheap, or at least it was over 10 years ago) and there are a few degrees you can get online, such as Japanese and (I think) some of the computer science related degrees. The site for all Swedish university studies is antagning.se (there is an English version you can get to). Some Swedish schools have 100% credit transfers between other Nordic schools but particularly Finnish ones because there are sometimes not enough classes on a subject in Finland itself to allow the Finnish students to get a degree without taking courses from Sweden.

Hej!

I am doing degree program in Sweden. I want to skip several in-person courses that can easily be done online (Metropolia, XAMK have exactly what I need). Do you know if the Swedish universities will accept those courses/credits?

I can see the answers around overall degress... I can't find information about individual courses...and would they accept ones from online courses like at XAMK? Any resources on that? 

It also seems like the credits don't ever match up!? 
Example -
Economics. Sweden. 7.5 credits.
Economics Finland 5 ECTS. (Same course, materials, outcomes and expected study hours) 

Any insight and advice is appreciated

Note: I also am aware that a specific uni may or may not accept credits for their own reasons, saying a course was not equivalent, or not same standards. That would be a case by case...rather than a systemic question.
(11-29-2023, 06:06 PM)nomadnowrry Wrote:

Hej!

I am doing degree program in Sweden. I want to skip several in-person courses that can easily be done online (Metropolia, XAMK have exactly what I need). Do you know if the Swedish universities will accept those courses/credits?

I can see the answers around overall degress... I can't find information about individual courses...and would they accept ones from online courses like at XAMK? Any resources on that? 

It also seems like the credits don't ever match up!? 
Example -
Economics. Sweden. 7.5 credits.
Economics Finland 5 ECTS. (Same course, materials, outcomes and expected study hours) 

Any insight and advice is appreciated

Note: I also am aware that a specific uni may or may not accept credits for their own reasons, saying a course was not equivalent, or not same standards. That would be a case by case...rather than a systemic question.

Swedish schools do case by case for work done in Finland and vice versa from when I posed this question to XAMK & University of Helsinki. YMMV.
In progress: HAU MBA Completed: BA Economics | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • nomadnowrry

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Limit On Degrees somechick 5 683 09-03-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  FREE SUMMER TUITION gams007 4 868 05-10-2023, 09:19 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  online Web Development degrees pluggingalong 11 1,390 02-28-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  SNHU Free Elective Suggestion chipNdale2077 4 2,288 10-27-2022, 12:25 PM
  (Not free) ECTS in Business, Philosophy, and more rachel83az 1 1,016 09-21-2022, 12:18 PM
  A bachelors plan for my son jb111 26 2,024 08-29-2022, 06:58 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  XAMK access to Peppi issues wow 4 1,296 08-10-2022, 09:33 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Free Undergraduate Degree for Texas Residents. wildebeest 8 1,858 06-12-2022, 10:40 AM
Last Post: mohelena02
  Free or inexpensive HR Certificate programs learningthehardway 7 1,215 06-02-2022, 05:37 PM
  Any cheap and easy Associates Degrees? learningthehardway 2 1,338 05-29-2022, 12:17 AM