Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Western Governors Univ. Question - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: WGU - Western Governors University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-WGU-Western-Governors-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Western Governors Univ. Question (/Thread-Western-Governors-Univ-Question)

Western Governors Univ. Question - marianne202 - 02-01-2011

I have seen several members post about WGU and I have a few questions. Is anyone a current or former student? What do you thing about WGU? How are their classes? Do they have a favorable credit transfer policy? Their website indicates they do, along with credit for work experience, but I'm always leary when I see that. Are their online classes well structured? Do they have a lot of busy work or a fair amount. I'm interested in any feedback anyone has about WGU. Thanks!

Western Governors Univ. Question - grauwulf - 02-01-2011

fair warning: I have not been to WGU, but have researched them quite a bit. My research has been focused on their M.S. program but overall they do seem to have a good transfer policy, in particular they have industry certs built into their programs so if you already have the cert.... you're done with that requirement (which is awesome! and practical!) Credit for work experience I don't know about but you can, for example, use an existing project from work to base your Master's capstone & defense. Again, pretty damn awesome if you ask me.

As to the actual class experience, I have no idea. I do know that they classes are watching lectures online and completing assignments at your own pace. You register for a six month block and then study at your own pace, as long as you get a minimum number of units completed you just keep on till your done.

Again, I haven't been there.... but they can expect my application in May :-)

Western Governors Univ. Question - ryoder - 02-02-2011

A coworker of mine is foxing their MBA, he has been in it for a year and says he is reading case studies and writing about them. I haven't gotten a lot more info on it but i will ask him again for more details. He seems to like the format though. He says all the information you need is there for you in the books and online materials.

Western Governors Univ. Question - Lindagerr - 02-02-2011

I applied to them for their Master of Art in Teaching with licensure. I was extremly happy with the customer service of my enrollement counsilor and the evaluation team. I had to send them transcripts from everywhere and it cost and took time for them to get them, but once they had all I had an answer within 48 hours. I need 4 courses before I can enroll. They took everything that TESC took they just have specific course requirements I never took. You can download the requirements and see if you meet them. I mostly knew where I was lacking, but I was hoping to squeeze by. I am working on the prereqs and hope to enroll soon. I have seen little to no negative feedback most students seem happy there. The only negative I know of is that they do not reward you with Credit hours just competency units so they do not transfer out. I have never seen any complaints on the quality of the degree, just that if you start there you need to finish there.

Western Governors Univ. Question - marianne202 - 02-03-2011

Thanks for the feedback. I'm considering a post-bachelor's certificate that they offer, so I was interested in finding out more about them. I knew some on here would have something to say! Oh, about WGU I mean! LOL!

Western Governors Univ. Question - dwilson - 09-13-2011

I'm currently a WGU student. I like the school but feel its growing at a very rapid pace and they cant keep up with the growth. Just my two cents though.