Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Classes over $250 a credit?!? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Military Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Military-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Classes over $250 a credit?!? (/Thread-Classes-over-250-a-credit)

Pages: 1 2

Classes over $250 a credit?!? - SRT12 - 02-21-2011

Has anyone used TA for classes over $250 a credit? Did the army/military pay the additional $$$? Most grad schools cost more than $250 a credit so how can get the money for it?

Possible answers: use GI bill early, waiver from your commander?

Classes over $250 a credit?!? - MAAlcantara1 - 02-22-2011

Most questions on TA can be found at eLearners.com.

I am not familiar with graduate programs but I believe your GI Bill would cover the excess cost. Scholarships, and grants are other viable options. I hope that helps.

Classes over $250 a credit?!? - MA2 - 02-22-2011

I know in the Navy they aren't approving any kind of TA waiver anymore.

If the school participates in the Yellow Ribbon program you'll be good, if not talk to your college office about grants and scholarships for Veterans or active duty.... I'm sure if you want to take the class you can find a way to get funded.

Classes over $250 a credit?!? - Andy1979 - 02-24-2011

The school i work for has a scholarship for undergraduate students that we use to drop the cost to the maximum TA will allow. Unfortunately with graduate school there is usually still some out-of-pocket cost. Look for schools that have these type of policies in place. If you're set on a school, then just use TA for as much as you can per year. If you're in an adult learning setting this may mean skipping class sessions a bit here and there to make TA work.

Classes over $250 a credit?!? - CLEP101 - 02-27-2011

SRT12 Wrote:Has anyone used TA for classes over $250 a credit? Did the army/military pay the additional $$$? Most grad schools cost more than $250 a credit so how can get the money for it?

Possible answers: use GI bill early, waiver from your commander?

I'm about to start on my Masters and I will have to use the TA and Top Up together. TA will cover the $750 and Top Up program (using part of GI Bill) will cover the rest. I don't know the process yet so I would get with the Education center if I were you. make sure you apply so you can get your GI Bill certificate of eligibility.

Classes over $250 a credit?!? - MA2 - 02-28-2011

True about the top up... but doesn't that only apply to the Montgomery GI Bill? What about the Post 9/11 GI bill that most people prefer?

Classes over $250 a credit?!? - CLEP101 - 02-28-2011

MA2 Wrote:True about the top up... but doesn't that only apply to the Montgomery GI Bill? What about the Post 9/11 GI bill that most people prefer?

The top up works with the Post 9/11 GI Bill, but like I said, I don't know the process yet. The counselor showed me how to do it but I wasn't paying too much attention. I'll figure it out once I start classes.

Classes over $250 a credit?!? - ryoder - 03-13-2011

I think public employees, military etc should be given partial tuition reimbursement but not full when it comes to grad school.
The reason is that the quality of the education is better maintained when the student has some skin in the game. If you go to a school that is 100% paid for by the gub mint then you are probably not as likely to value it or to be ultra-discriminating in choosing that school.
Plus we have a huge deficit.
I'd rather pay the military a higher wage and cut back on the fringe benefits and allow each service member to spend their dollars where they feel they are the most valuable.

Thats my personal opinion fwiw.

Classes over $250 a credit?!? - MA2 - 03-13-2011

Considering I spent 4 long years in the Navy with no idea if or where I'd get deployed to, whether I'd come back with all my limbs, or with my sanity, or maybe I would get shot in a training accident because the new guy thinks an M4 is a toy, to get my school paid for I'm thankful you don't make the rules. Fortunately I've never been shot at or witnessed too much gratuitous violence.

ryoder Wrote:Plus we have a huge deficit.

People get handouts left and right in this country... welfare, unemployment, food stamps, medicaid, tuition grants, and so on, but you'd rather cut my benefits?

And if you fail a class you have to pay the VA back the full tuition, so we do have a stake in our grades.

2 Sailors Killed During Training Exercise - Local News - San Diego, CA - msnbc.com

Classes over $250 a credit?!? - CLEP101 - 03-13-2011

MA2 Wrote:People get handouts left and right in this country... welfare, unemployment, food stamps, medicaid, tuition grants, and so on, but you'd rather cut my benefits?

And if you fail a class you have to pay the VA back the full tuition, so we do have a stake in our grades.

:iagree:
I remember in 2008 sitting in an Army education center in Baghdad taking my first CLEPs (Intro to Sociology), we had to hit the ground in the middle of it because we had 7 rockets hit our compound. After it was over, we kept on taking our tests. Glad I passed it. Big Grin
Even though our school is paid for, we do have a responsibility to pass our classes. The last thing I need is fail a course and have to pay back $1000 or so. God Bless America, and we welcome your opinion Ryoder, but like MA2 says, I'm glad you don't make the rules. My opinion.