Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
GRRRRR.... Capstone vent - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: GRRRRR.... Capstone vent (/Thread-GRRRRR-Capstone-vent)

GRRRRR.... Capstone vent - burbuja0512 - 03-17-2011

I have been very happy with COSC's customer service and I love my advisor. I also know that technical difficulties happen and I should be patient but GRRRRR I am so frustrated with my Capstone class right now!!

I guess there is a substitute professor teaching my class right now, so I understand that she needs some time to get up to speed, but OMG. She hasn't even posted more than a couple of times this week.

To make things worse, our assignment #4 is to summarize our strategies for our team assignment #5. Oh yeah... they didn't post assignment #5. I literally spent hours searching and thinking I was a moron. Finally some brave soul posted and complained about how unorganized things were. A day or so later we finally see a post from the professor apologizing for the technical difficulties.

I'm really impatient. The syllabus to the class looks great; rigorous but interesting. It's just so distracting to have all these issues.

Is this normal for online classes? I've only taken one in my life and it was a pretty simple class without the complex assignments we have in my Capstone.

GRRRRR.... Capstone vent - STG - 03-17-2011

I'm taking an online college algebra class since January and everything goes up on time... My English professor also posts the assignments the day after we have him in class...
You said the professor said she had technical difficulties...so maybe that was her problem that caused her to post late. Maybe it will all work out now that she figured it out. I hope it all goes well- good luck!

GRRRRR.... Capstone vent - marianne202 - 03-17-2011

I had a lot of issues with my online classes EC. It just depends on how qualified the instructor is with online classes and how competent they are with the material. Then you have to hope the DL team loaded the correct content in the correct fashion. Then depending on the LMS they are using you can have technical issues at their site. I would keep on them and if you don't get any satisfaction contact the program head. At a minimum they need to give you more time to complete the assignment if they haven't even posted the material. Mistakes can happen, technical issues arise, but you are paying for this class and they need to give you the attention and quality you deserve and expect. Good luck!

GRRRRR.... Capstone vent - burbuja0512 - 03-17-2011

I definitely have developed a new appreciation for testing; I can study when I want to and do as much as I want to. In my class with my current state of confusion, I'm sitting here all ready to work and not much to do.

The good news is, in the past few moments my team leader stepped up and gave us some instructions. I don't know if they're the right instructions lol, but since the teacher isn't posting them, someone has to. :eek:

I will definitely post updates and I hope to eat my words when this is all over. I do really love COSC. Even though I really haven't done much with them this year other than pay money, I drink coffee out of my COSC mug every morning and wear my COSC hoodie every day and am very proud of being a student. Yes, I am the biggest nerd on the face of the planet Wink I am sure that this will all work out.

GRRRRR.... Capstone vent - burbuja0512 - 03-19-2011

****UPDATE****

Things actually are getting better. The technical issues are settled and my group is shaping up thanks to some strong leadership and great classmates.

The Strategic Management textbook is actually very interesting and reads like a top-selling business book.

Our projects do seem challenging, but compared to studying for tests like M&B and Finance, not nearly as difficult.

Smile Glad things are better!

GRRRRR.... Capstone vent - skybirds - 03-20-2011

There are too many technical hang ups in
todays technology. Webmasters over complicate
things. A good amoun t of time is spent gazing
at a frozen computer. A lot of time is spent
trouble shooting and trying how too figure out
how to operate the system. I know a PHd professor
that shed countless tears for herself and her
students. She ran a distance learning course
on homeland security. In the end she asked students
to view a lecture and submit a quiz.

GRRRRR.... Capstone vent - burbuja0512 - 03-20-2011

skybirds Wrote:There are too many technical hang ups in
todays technology. Webmasters over complicate
things. A good amoun t of time is spent gazing
at a frozen computer. A lot of time is spent
trouble shooting and trying how too figure out
how to operate the system. I know a PHd professor
that shed countless tears for herself and her
students. She ran a distance learning course
on homeland security. In the end she asked students
to view a lecture and submit a quiz.

Yet you wouldn't think that it would be too difficult. I'm not sure why colleges struggle with it, but it definitely seems to happen.

I know! We should have the IC Forum guys take care of running the class Wink And with as much as I post here, I should have my graduate degree already. Yes... I can see it now, my masters in online posting, or MOP. Perfect. hilarious

GRRRRR.... Capstone vent - andy3000 - 03-20-2011

burbuja0512 Wrote:Yet you wouldn't think that it would be too difficult. I'm not sure why colleges struggle with it, but it definitely seems to happen.

I suspect most schools contract out the development of their couseware, and don't spend enough to get high quality work. Also the school administrations aren't qualified to pick a good vendor.

GRRRRR.... Capstone vent - skybirds - 03-20-2011

I attended her class but students online were
constantly having interruptions. The lecturer
had to wait till the technician ironed out the
bugs. It totally ruined the continuity of the
lecture. It was like a Hollywood retake over
and over Big Grin

burbuja0512 Wrote:****UPDATE****

Things actually are getting better. The technical issues are settled and my group is shaping up thanks to some strong leadership and great classmates.

The Strategic Management textbook is actually very interesting and reads like a top-selling business book.

Our projects do seem challenging, but compared to studying for tests like M&B and Finance, not nearly as difficult.

Smile Glad things are better!

Good point. You are paying for a service. A student is entitled to
effecient delivery well organized material. Many times a low
mark reflects more than a students lack of proper study