Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
GRE Subject Exams - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: GRE Subject Exams (/Thread-GRE-Subject-Exams)

GRE Subject Exams - Inteljustice - 03-12-2007

Since Excelsior and COSC both grant credits for the GRE Subject Exams, is this a viable option for obtaining a degree. For example if I took the psychology gre and passed with an 80% I'd have enough credits for that one exam to qualify as a psych major. And if I failed and still scored above 40% COSC would grant me anywhere from 18-24 credits. This sounds like a fairly simple idea for obtaining credits faster. Even though GRE subject exams are only administered 3 times a year for civilians.

GRE Subject Exams - Papa Georgia - 03-12-2007

Inteljustice Wrote:Since Excelsior and COSC both grant credits for the GRE Subject Exams, is this a viable option for obtaining a degree. For example if I took the psychology gre and passed with an 80% I'd have enough credits for that one exam to qualify as a psych major. And if I failed and still scored above 40% COSC would grant me anywhere from 18-24 credits. This sounds like a fairly simple idea for obtaining credits faster. Even though GRE subject exams are only administered 3 times a year for civilians.
Not to muddy the water, but the requirements have changed and I don't think you can fulfill the major requirements at Excelsior with just the GRE exam. There are some folks on the forum that are familar with the new requirements.
There is also the possiblility of duplicate credits. For example, if you score 80+ on the exam and already have 12 hours psychology credits you would only receive 18 hours credit. That is still a good deal.
I hope I haven't confused the issue. Good luck in your studies

GRE Subject Exams - mapalo - 03-12-2007

Could you please give me more information on this GRE Exams I have never heard about these Exams, where do I go to get more informations and when is the Next exam from the April or may one?

Mapalo

GRE Subject Exams - tcc - 03-12-2007

You can go to gre.org to get specifics about costs, test dates, test locations, as well as to register. There's more information on using the GRE subject tests to get credits at Excelsior and COSC at bain4weeks (click on Second Bachelor Degree). I made the mistake of taking the GRE psych test without checking with an advisor first, and found out after I got my test results that I'd duplicated something like 9 credits or so. The requirements for the psychology degree have definitely changed, so it'd be risky to proceed without knowing what's okay to do/not do.

GRE Subject Exams - mapalo - 03-13-2007

Thank you TCC, I will consult before proceeding

Mapalo