Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Borders closing - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: Borders closing (/Thread-Borders-closing)

Pages: 1 2

Borders closing - Lyanne - 08-09-2011

Is anyone thinking of buying some study guides at Borders during their closing sale? Tomorrow is the last day. The closest one to me is an hour. I'm wondering if it's worth it to take my list of tests to be taken and see what's left...

Borders closing - LaterBloomer - 08-09-2011

I've been by twice, and it was pretty picked over. (This started even when they were only giving 10% off.) My Borders is in an area with lots of folks who have kids who will attend college, so that may have played some part in the Test Section being pretty empty.

Have you tried your local used book stores? Some of mine have the study guides. Of course, NOT the ones that I need.

LaterBloomer Wrote:I've been by twice, and it was pretty picked over. (This started even when they were only giving 10% off.) My Borders is in an area with lots of folks who have kids who will attend college, so that may have played some part in the Test Section being pretty empty.

Have you tried your local used book stores? Some of mine have the study guides. Of course, NOT the ones that I need.

LOL, of course not.
No, I haven't tried local book stores. I've just been using ebay, and ordering as I need them. I thought maybe they wouldn't be so in demand at Borders so I'd make the trip if it was worth it. I'll try some local book stores though, thanks for mentioning it.

Borders closing - ryoder - 08-09-2011

I bought a couple of guides for a measly 25% off at my borders when it closed. You are better off getting it at amazon.com.
Borders is past its prime I'm afraid. It is sad to see it go but maybe all the small mom and pop bookstores that Borders killed off 15 years ago will reemerge now.

Borders closing - LaceyLady - 08-09-2011

I also visited Borders closing sale and could hardly find anything useful. Many books were already gone, and that was a few months ago. They probably have very little left and nothing useful now.

The sad thing for me is that I have an unused Borders gift card which was only given to me six months ago. When I visited Borders a few months back they already were no longer accepting gift cards.

Borders closing - cookderosa - 08-09-2011

I stopped by yesterday, nothing worth buying. I don't think 25% off rack rate is worth it! Seriously, who buys books for full price anyway? (lol, oh, apparently no one which is maybe why they are closing? hilarious )

Get them a couple years old on ebay for a couple bucks, library sales for a couple cents, or borrow from the library for free.

Borders closing - burbuja0512 - 08-09-2011

I don't even go to store closings any more. A while back, I went to a closing for a store that was bath/kitchen. (can't even remember the name of the chain now, but it was a big deal when it closed)

Anyhow... I found a pan that was on the shelf that had a ding on it. It was priced exactly the same as all of the other pans that were intact. I went to the store manager to ask if they would discount the damaged pan because it should not cost the same as the normal ones. The manager gave me a bit of interesting info. She said that she was not allowed to change price whatsoever. Evidently she had rules about how low they could go. They were kept to a strict schedule. Something like for the first week of "Store Closing" sale, they were at 15% and then she would get an order from corporate when they could go down to the next price, which might be 20% off. However, they were never going to go too low because they had already contracted with another company that was going to buy everything once they officially closed. My best guess would be that someplace like TJ Maxx or Marshalls probably was going to buy everything for dirt cheap and then re-sell it.

Ever since then, I've noticed that store closings really aren't at clearance prices. They're looking to make a little bit of money before they totally fold... not truly liquidate their inventory in most cases.

LaceyLady Wrote:I also visited Borders closing sale and could hardly find anything useful. Many books were already gone, and that was a few months ago. They probably have very little left and nothing useful now.

The sad thing for me is that I have an unused Borders gift card which was only given to me six months ago. When I visited Borders a few months back they already were no longer accepting gift cards.

But it says right on the sales ad online that they will honor gift cards throughout the sale. Anyway, it should still be accepted online at Borders.com, no?

burbuja0512 Wrote:Ever since then, I've noticed that store closings really aren't at clearance prices. They're looking to make a little bit of money before they totally fold... not truly liquidate their inventory in most cases.

LOL, reminds me of the store called "Going Out of Business" in Don't Mess With the Zohan. :-) (Can't believe I just admitted to seeing that)

Borders closing - ryoder - 08-10-2011

I went to Circuit City a couple of times during their liquidation and the prices were terrible. I asked why they were so bad and they said they were now owned by a liquidation company who set all of the prices.