Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
comparison on ways to get 3 algebra credits....uggh!!!! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: comparison on ways to get 3 algebra credits....uggh!!!! (/Thread-comparison-on-ways-to-get-3-algebra-credits-uggh)

comparison on ways to get 3 algebra credits....uggh!!!! - rebel100 - 08-17-2011

I have done something really stupid. I am finishing my Capstone at COSC and am ready to graduate....except for one crucial piece.

I have put off finishing College Algebra through ALEKS and feel like I'm hitting a brick wall! I zipped through the Beginning Algebra. It went so well that I felt skipping right to College Algebra was doable.

With being downsized at work and the new job hunt, along with carrying a full courseload through COSC/CSU I just procrastinated too long! Should have been doing it all along, I certainly knew better.

At this point it feels like ALEKS may take forever and so I'm considering my other options. I know it's a relative question, but what is the current consensus on straighterline college algabra? Anywhere else I can get the credits? My local CC will require basci/intermediate/CA so it would be a non starter.

Maybe I need to just suck it up, sequester myself somewhere, and slog through ALEKS....I'm not in a happy place right now Sad

Thoughts?

comparison on ways to get 3 algebra credits....uggh!!!! - burbuja0512 - 08-17-2011

If you're going for the absolute quickest route, I would say rather than locking yourself in a room with ALEKS, take a week or so to study for the College Math CLEP if that will work for you. I actually started out with ALEKS just like you did and found that it was taking too long. After ALEKS helped me brush up on my very rusty math skills, I then used IC, youtube and the specific feedback forum to study just enough to barely pass, though I'm sure with just a few extra days of study, I could have gotten a better score. I just don't really care for math and didn't want to do any more than I had to. Wink

comparison on ways to get 3 algebra credits....uggh!!!! - hkhart - 08-17-2011

I'm on a straighterline kick, so that would be my recommendation. It is cheap and you can progress as fast as you want. I already have college algebra so I do not know about the class per se, but I see it is only 4 exams for 75 pts each and 1 final for 200. If it is like the other classes, it will be multiple choice, which helps. In addition you get 10 hrs of Smarthinking tutoring that could help you with any of the assignment problems. I would presume that there are non graded assignments that you can practice with. As for the tutoring, I used ST to ask a precalc question and found them to be very helpful, helping me work through the problem.

comparison on ways to get 3 algebra credits....uggh!!!! - cookderosa - 08-18-2011

rebel100 Wrote:I have done something really stupid. I am finishing my Capstone at COSC and am ready to graduate....except for one crucial piece.

I have put off finishing College Algebra through ALEKS and feel like I'm hitting a brick wall! I zipped through the Beginning Algebra. It went so well that I felt skipping right to College Algebra was doable.

With being downsized at work and the new job hunt, along with carrying a full courseload through COSC/CSU I just procrastinated too long! Should have been doing it all along, I certainly knew better.

At this point it feels like ALEKS may take forever and so I'm considering my other options. I know it's a relative question, but what is the current consensus on straighterline college algebra? Anywhere else I can get the credits? My local CC will require basci/intermediate/CA so it would be a non starter.

Maybe I need to just suck it up, sequester myself somewhere, and slog through ALEKS....I'm not in a happy place right now Sad

Thoughts?

Well, where are you at on College Algebra? I mean if you're at 12% that's a different answer than if you're at 65%. Id say if you are over 50%, use the Mathway website to help you work out the questions that are stumping you. Print out your explanation pages on ALEKS, and have everything with you as you work. My son is at 60% on this same course, I feel your pain.
Now, if you're not even done with 1/3 of it and hitting the wall, you need to rethink it. It's only easy if it's review, to learn it all new (like me!) is a much slower process.
I second Burb's suggestion to try college math. It's general education math with functions and stats. It that sounds doable, you might make greater gains. If you've already taken stats, and since you've already taken beg. algebra, you might ALREADY be ready for this exam.

comparison on ways to get 3 algebra credits....uggh!!!! - martialartist - 08-18-2011

I have a question Aleks on this as well. If I'm at 60% and work my way up to 70%, do I need to retake an assessment, or will my progress be enough for credit to be granted.

comparison on ways to get 3 algebra credits....uggh!!!! - cookderosa - 08-18-2011

martialartist Wrote:I have a question Aleks on this as well. If I'm at 60% and work my way up to 70%, do I need to retake an assessment, or will my progress be enough for credit to be granted.

Yes, an assessment. Progress isn't evaluated, only your assessment score- so you don't need to be at 70% on progress, in fact, if on your FIRST DAY of ALEKS you score a 70% or higher, you've passed, even with 0% of your pie completed. On the flip side, you could complete 100% of your pie, but until you can pull off a 70% on your assessment, you ain't done! :coolgleam:

comparison on ways to get 3 algebra credits....uggh!!!! - frankiebleyes - 08-18-2011

I did straighterline algebra in a week and was so rusty in math I could squeak. I tried Alex and hated it, but found with just a bit of studying that the straighterline course was easie, piecie for me.

comparison on ways to get 3 algebra credits....uggh!!!! - rebel100 - 08-18-2011

Thanks to everyone for their input, it's much appreciated.

Frankie, this is what ia was wondering about. Can you detail exactly how the course is set up? I know it's 4 quizzes and a final. All work done at home without a proctor correct? Are the exams open book so that one could look at their notes and or examples? how much is covered on each quiz? Can I assume the final is comprehensive? DId you buy the book?

frankiebleyes Wrote:I did straighterline algebra in a week and was so rusty in math I could squeak. I tried Alex and hated it, but found with just a bit of studying that the straighterline course was easie, piecie for me.