Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
2 degrees (new question) - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: 2 degrees (new question) (/Thread-2-degrees-new-question)

Pages: 1 2

2 degrees (new question) - hkhart - 08-19-2011

If I am 3 classes shy of getting my first desired degree, but do nothing and continue to accumulate credits towards my 2nd desired degree, will this be seen as 2 distinct degrees, or once I confer the first one, the credits must be racked up then?
Basically, due to financial aid, I am wanting to get all the credits earned while "working" toward my first degree and not have to switch majors frequently as I have seen in another post.

Does anyone have any experience in this scenario?

Thanks! - I posted new question as the old thread about benefit or lack thereof of two degrees branched into something else along those lines.

2 degrees (new question) - dcan - 08-20-2011

Pretty sure with TESC all of the credits for the second degree must be earned AFTER the first degree is awarded. I believe they also have a "dual degree", but both degrees must be in the same department, e.g. dual accounting and management degree (business), etc.

You should confirm through their student handbook. They will tell you to read it anyway. But I think this is correct.

2 degrees (new question) - HorseManiac - 08-20-2011

I'm assuming you are going for 2 bachelors? Here is what TESC's catalog says:

[COLOR="Blue"]Second Bachelor’s Degree
Students who have received one bachelor’s degree at Thomas
Edison State College or another regionally accredited institution
and wish to earn a second bachelor’s degree must:
• Complete a minimum of 24 additional credits in the
area of study/core for a second bachelor’s degree beyond
the date the most recent degree was completed.
• Students must complete all requirements for the degree
as listed in the current Thomas Edison State College
Catalog.
The College will not award a third associate or bachelor’s
degree.[/COLOR]

So you'll have to have the first degree awarded and then get 24 NEW credits that you didn't use for the 1st degree after the graduation date! Does that make sense?

This is how I understand it! Hopefully someone else can maybe explain some more!

2 degrees (new question) - cookderosa - 08-20-2011

HorseManiac Wrote:I'm assuming you are going for 2 bachelors? Here is what TESC's catalog says:

[COLOR="Blue"]Second Bachelor’s Degree
[COLOR="Red"]Students who have received one bachelor’s degree at Thomas
Edison State College or another regionally accredited [/COLOR]
institution
and wish to earn a second bachelor’s degree must:
• Complete a minimum of 24 additional credits in the
area of study/core for a second bachelor’s degree beyond
the date the most recent degree was completed.
• Students must complete all requirements for the degree
as listed in the current Thomas Edison State College
Catalog.
The College will not award a third associate or bachelor’s
degree.[/COLOR]

So you'll have to have the first degree awarded and then get 24 NEW credits that you didn't use for the 1st degree after the graduation date! Does that make sense?

This is how I understand it! Hopefully someone else can maybe explain some more!

But, the op hasn't. He's enrolled. I would contact an advisor via phone (you may have to make an appointment but that's painless) and discuss this "in person" with him.

What I think the quote above applies to is for new student or returning students. I think what the op wants could more closely be viewed as a double major (which is two degrees in many colleges- I don't know if it is at TESC, that's one of he question you need to ask)

Explain that you want 2 degrees period- sometimes the advisors like to advise you about life.....gently redirect them back to the question at hand Smile and I anticipate them trying to talk you out of a second degree. Maybe they won't. Confusedmilelol:

There are criteria for the process, your advisor needs to explain it to you then direct you to where you can find it in print. Smile You didn't mention what you wanted your 2nd degree in, but inquire about the restrictions/rules governing second majors because I do recall there being some rules about what you could choose.

Lastly, if this doesn't work out- your last 3 classes "could" be part of the bachelor's to master's program. The 3 master's classes come in as UNDERGRADUATE CREDIT and (double check) you'd be able to use your financial aid/ pell money. This is a great chance to get a leg up on a grad degree. You still get your undergrad done, and you may or may not keep going at TESC, but if you do keep going- you're 9 credits done. (cha ching cheaper) Of course once you enroll in a masters program and establish a transcript, you could always <cough> transfer somewhere else.

You are smart about using Pell money, rack up all your undergrad credit now because once they confer that first BA degree, it's gone.

Good luck!!

2 degrees (new question) - HorseManiac - 08-20-2011

cookderosa Wrote:But, the op hasn't. He's enrolled. I would contact an advisor via phone (you may have to make an appointment but that's painless) and discuss this "in person" with him.

What I think the quote above applies to is for new student or returning students. I think what the op wants could more closely be viewed as a double major (which is two degrees in many colleges- I don't know if it is at TESC, that's one of he question you need to ask)

Explain that you want 2 degrees period- sometimes the advisors like to advise you about life.....gently redirect them back to the question at hand Smile and I anticipate them trying to talk you out of a second degree. Maybe they won't. Confusedmilelol:

There are criteria for the process, your advisor needs to explain it to you then direct you to where you can find it in print. Smile You didn't mention what you wanted your 2nd degree in, but inquire about the restrictions/rules governing second majors because I do recall there being some rules about what you could choose.

Lastly, if this doesn't work out- your last 3 classes "could" be part of the bachelor's to master's program. The 3 master's classes come in as UNDERGRADUATE CREDIT and (double check) you'd be able to use your financial aid/ pell money. This is a great chance to get a leg up on a grad degree. You still get your undergrad done, and you may or may not keep going at TESC, but if you do keep going- you're 9 credits done. (cha ching cheaper) Of course once you enroll in a masters program and establish a transcript, you could always <cough> transfer somewhere else.

You are smart about using Pell money, rack up all your undergrad credit now because once they confer that first BA degree, it's gone.

Good luck!!

Oops, guess I should just stick to what I know!! Sorry hkhart, guess I misunderstood. Hope I didn't add to the confusion! I'd follow cookderosa's advice. She's very knowledgeable!

Good luck!

2 degrees (new question) - hkhart - 08-20-2011

Thanks everyone! I will have to make the dreaded call and get specific clarification, but I am understanding it to be the same as described.

The two degrees is not a requirement, but I really want to add credits via CLEP. My current BSAST will be completed with TESC courses. I actually am looking into the BS to MS program at TESC in clinical trials (which is the field I'm in). I using FA for the comprehensive plan and want to get all 36 credits available, thus trying to plan out when to take what to maximize everything.

The second degree that I was thinking about was BA in English. Other choices would be BA Humanities, BALS or BA Natural Science and Math. For each of the degrees, as it stands with current credits I need 40 more credits that I could use CLEP credits. My thought was to test out of whichever credits I can, hold on to those and send AFTER I get the BSAST. I'm not sure if that would be considered earning after first degree. Probably not. Dual major may be the option, so I'm back to making phone call!

2 degrees (new question) - cookderosa - 08-20-2011

hkhart Wrote:Thanks everyone! I will have to make the dreaded call and get specific clarification, but I am understanding it to be the same as described.

The two degrees is not a requirement, but I really want to add credits via CLEP. My current BSAST will be completed with TESC courses. I actually am looking into the BS to MS program at TESC in clinical trials (which is the field I'm in). I using FA for the comprehensive plan and want to get all 36 credits available, thus trying to plan out when to take what to maximize everything.

The second degree that I was thinking about was BA in English. Other choices would be BA Humanities, BALS or BA Natural Science and Math. For each of the degrees, as it stands with current credits I need 40 more credits that I could use CLEP credits. My thought was to test out of whichever credits I can, hold on to those and send AFTER I get the BSAST. I'm not sure if that would be considered earning after first degree. Probably not. Dual major may be the option, so I'm back to making phone call!

Post what you find out. This is always something I've not known that much about (despite horselover's confidence in me lol) but it comes up from time to time- so it will be helpful for others too.

2 degrees (new question) - ryoder - 08-20-2011

You can do two BA's or two BSBAs at a time, but if you want a BSAST and a BA then you have to wait until after your BSAST is conferred before earning any new credit.
Talk to your advisor but this is how it works.
I finished my BSBA CIS and had to wait until conferral to start CLEPing and taking straighterline.com courses for my BA Math/Natural Science. Its just how it is.
Do NOT take any CLEP tests prior to conferral or they will be wasted and you won't be able to retake them.

2 degrees (new question) - dcan - 08-20-2011

ryoder Wrote:You can do two BA's or two BSBAs at a time, but if you want a BSAST and a BA then you have to wait until after your BSAST is conferred before earning any new credit.
Talk to your advisor but this is how it works.
I finished my BSBA CIS and had to wait until conferral to start CLEPing and taking straighterline.com courses for my BA Math/Natural Science. Its just how it is.
Do NOT take any CLEP tests prior to conferral or they will be wasted and you won't be able to retake them.

Yeah this is what I was referring to earlier. I think I wasn't very clear. Pretty sure I've read about this elsewhere and probably in TESC's student guide as well. You can get a dual degree provided both are within the same department. In other words, (to use my example from earlier) you can get a dual degree in Accounting and Management because they are both BSBA degrees. You could do a dual English and Humanities because they are both BAs. But you can't do a BSBA and a BA together because they are different departments. The only way to do that is to do one, then get 24 new credits, then get the second. But if I'm not mistaken, that eliminates your Pell, right?

Of course I could be wrong, so definitely confirm with your advisor, but I do believe this is correct. If not please correct me.

2 degrees (new question) - mrs.b - 08-22-2011

I'd asked about two BSBA majors a couple weeks back, and received the following response:

Thomas Edison State College encourages students to complete one area of study within a degree program and then continue their education at the master’s level.

However, students may complete up to two areas of study within one baccalaureate degree. No more than 9 semester hours of credit used in the first area of study can be used for the second area of study. The areas of study selected must be completely different. All related required credits for each area of study, as well as all degree requirements, must be met for both areas of study before a student can be certified for graduation. Students wishing to pursue a second area of study within a degree program MUST consult a program advisor in the respective degree program.

It's the same as what others have said before, but thought the relevant school policies might help.

They seem flexible and open to it; I was approved to add the second major area of study, but have yet to decide if I will.