Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Music Degree Thomas Edison Portfolio - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Music Degree Thomas Edison Portfolio (/Thread-Music-Degree-Thomas-Edison-Portfolio)

Pages: 1 2

Music Degree Thomas Edison Portfolio - kimberose - 09-13-2011

Hey y'all,

Thomas Edison requires me to PLA my core music degree requirements, for music theory and music history. Has anyone had any experience with this, where should I portfolio them? I have a pretty good idea for the theory, but for music history I am lost.

Kimberly

Music Degree Thomas Edison Portfolio - Firedup4Jesus - 09-13-2011

Why are they requiring you to do PLA? I don't personally know the answer to your question but I would definitely be interested in knowing the answer. I am going for a BA in Music for TESC too! Smile

I'm positive I saw it somewhere on TESC site, but now I can't find it. I found this page where it says you can do PLA for these specific courses, but that may just be optional. Let me browse around and see if I can find the original page.

Thomas Edison State College/ Prior Learning Assessment Courses

I think why I'm thinking that is that once you click on the courses, it shows study methods, and PLA shows up only. Or do those dates coming after have to do with TESC classes or just sign up for PLA?

Music Degree Thomas Edison Portfolio - cookderosa - 09-13-2011

kimberose Wrote:I think why I'm thinking that is that once you click on the courses, it shows study methods, and PLA shows up only. Or do those dates coming after have to do with TESC classes or just sign up for PLA?

This means that they ALLOW you to meet this course requirement through PLA (by paying full tuition of course lol, that doesn't mean it will be approved either, you could pay and prepare the portfolio and still have them deny the credit). Take the class elsewhere and transfer it back in for les cost and a fraction of the headache. PLA is very involved.

How do I know if they'll accept someone else's course, does the college need to be accredited? How many colleges will let me take a course and not be enrolled?

How much exactly is the PLA for 3 credits?

Music Degree Thomas Edison Portfolio - undecided - 09-13-2011

Most colleges will allow you to enroll as a nonmatriculated student to take as many classes as you need to. Often, this is done through the office of continuing ed, that way you don't have to apply for admission. Music history and theory are intro level courses that most community colleges offer.

Are instrument specific lit courses required? What about conducting and form and analysis? Do you send in videos of performance for credit? As a musician, I have always wondered how these online music degrees work. I spent 2 years in conservatory and can't imagine how it can be done online. What about ensembles?

Music Degree Thomas Edison Portfolio - cookderosa - 09-13-2011

undecided Wrote:Most colleges will allow you to enroll as a nonmatriculated student to take as many classes as you need to. Often, this is done through the office of continuing ed, that way you don't have to apply for admission. Music history and theory are intro level courses that most community colleges offer.

Are instrument specific lit courses required? What about conducting and form and analysis? Do you send in videos of performance for credit? As a musician, I have always wondered how these online music degrees work. I spent 2 years in conservatory and can't imagine how it can be done online. What about ensembles?

It's not a performance degree.
Thomas Edison State College | BA in Music Credit Distribution

Music Degree Thomas Edison Portfolio - undecided - 09-13-2011

Ohhhhhh. Okay. It's like a music as humanities kind of degree. So you don't actually have to be able to play anything. That's actually kind of cool.

Music Degree Thomas Edison Portfolio - kimberose - 09-14-2011

I think you can incorporate music performance, it would be through "applied music" PLA. I thought about incorporating that, but again that's the hassle of PLA, and I'm not sure what they would count as credit. I know some people take lessons from a college level professor and then have a recital. Maybe they send in a video of the recital, I have no idea.

So, I have another question. Does TESC offer those courses I sent the link to through TESC, or do I have to PLA or do them through another college? Is there a reason why I would want to do them through another college?