Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Graduate School Terms - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Graduate School Terms (/Thread-Graduate-School-Terms)

Pages: 1 2

Graduate School Terms - NAP - 09-20-2011

I have noticed in the list of prerequisites at some graduate programs that they say something similar to “some knowledge of”. For instance, one states “some knowledge of matrix algebra”, which from my understanding is normally part of a course called linear algebra.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Can I assume that a course is not required, since the list does have required courses also? If I learn about it on my own (books/websites), would I be expected to prove it in some way without an official transcript? If so, how would I do this?

Thanks for your help!

Graduate School Terms - irnbru - 09-20-2011

NAP Wrote:I have noticed in the list of prerequisites at some graduate programs that they say something similar to “some knowledge of”. For instance, one states “some knowledge of matrix algebra”, which from my understanding is normally part of a course called linear algebra.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Can I assume that a course is not required, since the list does have required courses also? If I learn about it on my own (books/websites), would I be expected to prove it in some way without an official transcript? If so, how would I do this?

Thanks for your help!

Hey NAP,

It sort of depends on syllabus of the course you are interested in as to whether you can blag it or not.

“some knowledge of matrix algebra”, you are absolutely right about linear algebra being the target here. In addition to the usual adding/subtracting/multiplying/identity of matrices (the algebra), you want to be pretty familiar with eigen values and eigen vectors. The reason this is necessary is that they are useful (necessary) for higher calculus (geometry) classes where a fair bit of work is done with vectors (putting them together to construct matrices to solve, etc) and setting the stage for abstract algebra (arguable, yes).

If you have an idea what is required, then just being able to say "Sure, I'm familiar with the grad, curl and div operators of vector calculus and I'm really looking forward to developing my experience of Laplace" you're good. Then again, I know BYU do a linear algebra class so it might be worth looking at.

edit: operators not specifically functions or transforms

Graduate School Terms - cookderosa - 09-20-2011

NAP Wrote:I have noticed in the list of prerequisites at some graduate programs that they say something similar to “some knowledge of”. For instance, one states “some knowledge of matrix algebra”, which from my understanding is normally part of a course called linear algebra.

Thanks for your help!

I've taken a couple classes like this. In both cases they didn't require anything, that suggestion was for the benefit of the student. I've also had the prereq thing that I did have to send a transcript. One science class I'm looking at for January has both a "suggested" (college algebra) as well as a "prereq" (general biology) in the list, so I'm pretty sure unless they specifically tell you that you need credit in a subject, you should be good to go.

Graduate School Terms - NAP - 09-21-2011

Thank you so much for your responses! In a really good way, this gives me a completely different perspective on the situation. I wish I had asked sooner.

If you wouldn’t mind, I have a follow-up question.

Let’s say graduate program 1 wants some knowledge of matrix algebra as an admission prerequisite and graduate program 2 wants a course in linear algebra. The difference in requirements is likely due to a slightly different focus for the degree. I prefer the focus that program 1 has.

If for some reason I end up at program 2, how often do colleges allow applicants to take the prerequisite coursework outside of the undergraduate degree? In other words, if I wait to take Irnbru’s suggestion about the linear algebra course until after I finish a BS degree, will I still be eligible to be accepted to program 2?

Jennifer, it seems like you have been able to do this. Does it limit your choices in graduate programs at all?

Thanks again. I am grateful for the help!

Graduate School Terms - scorched - 09-21-2011

Nap.. if I remember right your pursuing a MS in Bioinformatics or something similar.
I would say the answer has to be yes, to taking classes outside of your already earned degree.

I know the bioinformatics masters program at Johns Hopkins requires all prerequisites to be met prior to admittance.
Program: Bioinformatics - Johns Hopkins University - Whiting School of Engineering - acalog ACMSâ„¢

So you absolutely would have to take post bachelors classes to make that happen if you didn't already. There may be cases where they admit you on two aspects, that you take the prereq parallel with them, or you still get admitted but just have to wait to start grad level classes until the undergrad course is done.

Graduate School Terms - cookderosa - 09-21-2011

NAP Wrote:Thank you so much for your responses! In a really good way, this gives me a completely different perspective on the situation. I wish I had asked sooner.

If you wouldn’t mind, I have a follow-up question.

Let’s say graduate program 1 wants some knowledge of matrix algebra as an admission prerequisite and graduate program 2 wants a course in linear algebra. The difference in requirements is likely due to a slightly different focus for the degree. I prefer the focus that program 1 has.

If for some reason I end up at program 2, how often do colleges allow applicants to take the prerequisite coursework outside of the undergraduate degree? In other words, if I wait to take Irnbru’s suggestion about the linear algebra course until after I finish a BS degree, will I still be eligible to be accepted to program 2?

Jennifer, it seems like you have been able to do this. Does it limit your choices in graduate programs at all?

Thanks again. I am grateful for the help!

The MBA program I almost started had a macro prereq that I didn't have. They told me I needed to complete it before starting my first term (not concurrent enrollment). So, my suggestion would simply be to ask if you are allowed to fill in any missing prereqs or if they have to be part of your actual undergrad degree. I'm betting they don't but you never can tell. You also might want to ask if a graded credit (vs pass/fail) matters.

Limiting me? No, I've applied for all kinds of programs lol. HOWEVER, nothing mathy/technical like you're doing. I imagine if I applied to a program like what you're doing they'd just turn on the shredder Smile

Graduate School Terms - NAP - 09-22-2011

Thanks for responding! I realize that it depends on the individual program, but it is really nice to know that there can be flexibility with this.

Graduate School Terms - rebel100 - 09-22-2011

cookderosa Wrote:The MBA program I almost started had a macro prereq that I didn't have. They told me I needed to complete it before starting my first term (not concurrent enrollment).

Cook, was it the ENMU MBA? I know you looked at that program. If it was can you expand on your experience in applying? A PM would be fine.

Thanks!

Graduate School Terms - cookderosa - 09-22-2011

rebel100 Wrote:Cook, was it the ENMU MBA? I know you looked at that program. If it was can you expand on your experience in applying? A PM would be fine.

Thanks!

pm sent to you

Graduate School Terms - NAP - 08-16-2012

Hi again!

I know there is a guideline for undergraduate courses like "plan to spend 3 hours per week for each semester hour of credit. For a 3 credit course, plan on 9 hours per week" for homework. (taken and modified from EC website) Math and science courses with labs can be more hours.

Is there a similar guideline for graduate courses? What is it? How much time should I plan for math and science related grad coursework?

Thanks so much for your help!