Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc (/Thread-Unofficial-DegreeForum-Wiki-Credit-by-Exam-info-Degree-Plans-etc)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc - dcan - 12-19-2011

OK I went ahead and did it. I don't really care for the hosting provider (wikia) but it's free and easy to set up. Currently there are 24 pages on there. Anyone can edit. I don't like that either (would prefer only forum members can edit) but this is at least a start.

This is NOT a duplicate of the forums, nor is it designed to pull traffic away from the forums. In fact, I should have all "discussion" features completely disabled, and I intentionally structured it and wrote the pages so far in such a way that it should help DRIVE traffic to the forums. This is a way to take some of the "frequently asked questions" and surface them up out of the forums and make it more easily accessible to those who are just starting out. I remember when I started out last spring, spending a lot of time mining the forums for basic info on how all this stuff works. There is a LOT of good info here, but I think it would have been easier for me if I had a single place to go to that would kind of summarize the key concepts and give me a structure in which to think and operate, and then branch out into specific questions here.

Basically, this is to help answer common questions like "What are the Big 3?", "What is accreditation and why is it important?", "How do ACE, ALEKS, Straighterline, PF, etc all relate regarding the Big 3?" and the like.

Another way to think of it is, this is a free, community-managed "e-book" on how to follow this path. With plenty of pointers back to this forum to get people in.

I expect there are errors, so please correct them if you see them.

Link: Degree Forum Wiki

This is nowhere near finished. I don't have any info on there about costs (I leave that to those more knowledgeable than me) or about specific degree plans (ditto), and the info on study guides is minimal. I don't want to duplicate anything from the Specific Feedback forum so I tread lightly there, just general resources and the common math sites.

The main page has a "list of topics" and the main tab at the top has a list of all pages on the site. Currently the two lists are virtually identical but I expect they will diverge over time, with the "topics" list containing pointers to top-level topics mostly.

I would appreciate any and all feedback.

And remember, YOU CAN EDIT ANY PAGE, so don't wait for me to make a change. Just don't be surprised if/when I or someone else changes your change to make it better. That's the way wikis work. Smile

Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc - sgloer - 12-19-2011

Nice work dcan. Looks like a promising resource for getting some of the central information together on how these credits and degrees work! Smile

Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc - Lindagerr - 12-19-2011

Looks great to me dcan!! I made one small edit just added one word but I haven't read it all. I think this is a wonderful service to all new degree seekers. I know when I started a lot of these terms and ideas were confusing and overwhelming.

Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc - dcan - 12-19-2011

Thanks Steve, that was exactly the idea. And thanks for the first edit Lindagerr, that is what it is for -- see a bug, fix a bug, make the final product better for everyone.

Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc - Storyteller - 12-19-2011

dcan,
It looks great! Appreciate all your hard work - hopefully many more folks will discover that getting a degree doesn't have to be an olympic hoop-jumping event that unfortunately is part and parcel of the standard collegiate world.
Yay, dcan.

Thanks Storyteller. My hope is that people will start to populate the estimated costs and provide some example degree plans. I plan to post a few degree plans as I come across them on the forum myself, but there are others here far better than I at wonking out on the costs.

Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc - burbuja0512 - 12-20-2011

*bookmark* Looks really good!!! Let me know if I can help with COSC stuff Smile

Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc - bricabrac - 12-20-2011

dcan,

Strong Work! Site looks awesome! I also added a minute edit, "SL" for straighterline! LOL Since this is one abbreviation (along with PF) I use all the time.

I'm sure the site will grow and develop over time. I like the fact that it can be edited so easily to mirror annual changes made by the institutions.

Again, great idea put into action!! Thank you!!

Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc - dcan - 12-20-2011

burbuja0512 Wrote:*bookmark* Looks really good!!! Let me know if I can help with COSC stuff Smile

Hey, anyone can click "Edit" at any time, so PLEASE DO SO. I was hoping some of you with far more knowledge than me would chip in. I wanted to build the structure to pave the way, then let y'all run wild and kind of get out of the way -- except for maybe a little cat herding. Smile

bricabrac Wrote:Strong Work! Site looks awesome! I also added a minute edit, "SL" for straighterline! LOL Since this is one abbreviation (along with PF) I use all the time.

I'm sure the site will grow and develop over time. I like the fact that it can be edited so easily to mirror annual changes made by the institutions.

Again, great idea put into action!! Thank you!!

Thanks for the edit. You already made the site better for everyone! That's the whole idea.

Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc - skyfall123 - 12-20-2011

Great job Dcan!!!