Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
How to Program - Free Lessons - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: How to Program - Free Lessons (/Thread-How-to-Program-Free-Lessons)

Pages: 1 2

How to Program - Free Lessons - burbuja0512 - 01-04-2013

Hi all- I have no interest whatsoever in programming, but my brother (who is a COSC grad he he) sent me this link for my kids to learn programming at no charge. Learn to code | Codecademy I personally haven't looked at it, but I trust my bro.. after all, he's the one that taught me about CLEP and InstantCert, so I would imagine that there is some valuable info in here.

How to Program - Free Lessons - ultimate13 - 05-29-2013

burbuja0512 Wrote:Hi all- I have no interest whatsoever in programming, but my brother (who is a COSC grad he he) sent me this link for my kids to learn programming at no charge. Learn to code | Codecademy I personally haven't looked at it, but I trust my bro.. after all, he's the one that taught me about CLEP and InstantCert, so I would imagine that there is some valuable info in here.

I checked it out and I can definitely see myself starting out using this

How to Program - Free Lessons - sanantone - 05-30-2013

A member on another forum pointed me to Code Academy a couple of years ago when I expressed an interest in networking, but I have no interest in programming. I've also heard good things about W3Schools.
HTML Tutorial

How to Program - Free Lessons - scorched - 05-30-2013

Another decent one is Learn Python - Free Interactive Python Tutorial
Also:
Code School - TryRuby

But here is a list of interactive learning on this blog post
Interactive Programming Tutorials (.NET, Java, Ruby, Python, JavaScript, SQL, NOSQL) ~ Aleksandr Yampolskiy's blog

I have yet to evaluate it, but I also read about Learn Programming, Free Programming Classes Online, How to write programs, C Programming for beginners a live stream class, not so much interactive like the above mentions.

How to Program - Free Lessons - SoliDeoGloria - 05-30-2013

These look very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

How to Program - Free Lessons - Chebasaz - 05-30-2013

Yeah, my morning is now blown. I messed with python a bit back in my eve online days, but never got beyond some basic scripting. Great tutorial!

How to Program - Free Lessons - scorched - 05-30-2013

I think perl and python have been instrumental in my career for quick problem solving and automation.
And for those wanting to get into statistics, R project and python may be an easy low cost entry vs expensive programs like SAS, SPSS, or Mathematica.

And found this for those wanting perl lessons.
Perltuts.com | Interactive Perl tutorials

How to Program - Free Lessons - ryoder - 06-01-2013

My 2c. Learn Java or DotNet as they are mainstream programming languages used to create enterprise applications.
Python and Perl are mainly used for scripting of one-off utilities or small and simple web pages.
If a person spends about 1000 hours programming in Java and reading books etc, he can probably pick up a $50k job no problem. Java developers can make up to 100K with about 7 years of experience in most mid-size cities.

You would be surprised how little Java a kid with a 4 year CS degree has. I know because I have interviewed them.

How to Program - Free Lessons - anonymouse - 08-10-2013

These are awesome! Thanks for the links, guys!

How to Program - Free Lessons - anonymouse - 08-10-2013

I have found this tut on SQL to be quite helpful and straight: SQLZOO